Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of Sencha Touch???

Sencha User
    Answers

Default Future of Sencha Touch???

Hi,
    I've been working with Sencha Touch for several months now, and I definitely enjoy to work on it.
    However, I recently recomended Sencha Touch to a new partner, and he had a look at it on Sencha website and many forums, to check if my recomendation was really justified (I would have done the same...).

What he discovered was very embarassing to me:
    • One the one hand, he read lot of very positive feedbacks about ST and so, was rapidly convinced about ST quality and performance.
    • But, on the other hand, he read several articles and comments that sent strong and threatening warnings about ST uncertain future.
    He saw the following announcement on SenchaCon 2015: "Were merging our Ext JS and Touch frameworks. Youll be able to build all of your web apps using a single framework and deliver a unique user experience for customers on desktops (using modern or legacy browsers), tablets, or smartphones.".

And immediately asked to me if all the developments we would make on ST will be lost when this will happen. I had absolutely no answer to give to him, as Sencha does not provide clear answer about this crucial question! Also, pace of Sencha Touch updates has strongly decreased recently, which is not really encouraging...

Additionaly, he had a look at Sencha licensing policy, and saw that there is no commercial offer for freelancers and small teams (less than 5 devs). And in case of merging ExtJS and Sencha Touch, as it was announced on SenchaCon 2015, would the resulting product be availabl for free as ST is actually?

So his next question was: Is Sencha Touch the good choice for small businesses and a perennial one? Again, I have no satisfying answer to provide to him, as Sencha does not have a clear position on this.

In conclusion, my partner and me are really embarassed with this troubled situation. On one hand, we would like to capitalize on the developments I've already done with ST, but on the other hand, we ask ourselves if we should really choose ST as the basis of our future development. We also are looking for serious alternatives...

So my question is: Could Sencha provide definitive and clear answers about these crucial questions?
    If not, we will have no other choice than switching to another framework to secure our future developments, and, trust me, we wouldn't be happy to switch!

Sencha User
    Answers

Here's a thread with a discussion about that:
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?298455

Sencha User
    Answers

Hi Gary,
    This thread provide no clear answers to these crucial questions.
    SenchaCon is now ended. As far as I know, there wasn't any conferences about Sencha Touch, except the one where Sencha must have talked about merging ST with ExtJS, which is not really encouraging about ST survival...
    What I really need to know quickly:
    • Does it worth to continue developping on Sencha Touch framework (and so spend time and money on it) ?
    • Will Sencha Touch continue to be updated/improved?
    • If not, will we be able to reuse easily our ST developments on the future merged framework?
    • What will be your pricing policy toward small teams and freelancers?

Hope to get answers on this quickly...
    Regards,

Sencha User
    Answers

Am I alone to ask these questions?
    If someone has more information about these threats on our work and investments, could he/she provide them to the community?

Answers
    German EXT-User and -Lover :-).

Sencha User
    Answers

Thanks, but this thread is accessible to premium members only...

Sencha User
    Answers

Can you provide information from this thread to us?

Sencha User
    Answers

I can't really post the entire thread, and it's a bit difficult to paraphrase. Here's a few snippets from that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Ext JS 6 now has Touch merged into Ext JS. You can now build a universal app that shares the same exact core.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Ext JS 6 comes with Sencha Touch now merged in so it's a single framework now and therefore there is no additional cost. We have the concept of toolkits as you have seen, classic is basically Ext JS and modern is Sencha Touch. We plan on having better feature parity as time goes on. When you generate an application with Cmd 6, you will still see all the familiar directory structure but you will now see classic and modern directories. These directories are where you code your desktop/phone parts of the app, the app directory that you've used in the past would be for shared application code between the classic/modern toolkits.

We will be releasing more information as we get closer to a GA release and of course after. The SenchaCon videos will be made public, a date for this is still to be determined. We will first make them available to attendees.

Sencha User
    Answers

Hi Gary,
    Thanx for the information.
    However, the most important questions to us are:
    • will we be able to transfer easily the code (custom components, controllers, models, views) between our ST2.4.1 app to this new architecture?
    • will you provide a migration tool to help us capitalize on our current developments?
    • in case of phone/tablet only applications, will we have to manage also the ExtJS (desktop) version?
    Thanx in advance for any information you can provide to us.

Sencha User
    Answers

I haven't heard about any migration tools, but I don't think it will be difficult to get your Touch code running. These two doc pages have more info.
    http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/wha...whats_new.html
    http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/wha...ironments.html

Your app doesn't have to be universal. You should be able to have a mobile app by only using configuring the 'modern' build profile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast