Thread: anyone using loopback?

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Default anyone using loopback?

I am starting to evaluate Node.js and express. but it seems like loopback is express on steroids and requires a LOT less coding. Anyone else play with this? If so, would love to exchange notes.

Bruce

Thumbs up

I'm starting to evaluate as well... StrongLoop LoopBack looks like the way to go.
    Right now, just found that:
    Loopback + ExtJs: https://github.com/mschmulen/connect...ster/README.md
    LAMPE (Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP / ExtJs)

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

After spending some quality time with loopback and plain old node with express, I have opted for Express. Some of the reasons are:

1) Speed. Larger queries are about 30% faster

2) I use Stored Procedures a LOT. and its sort of a pain to call them using loopback

3) Complex where clauses are easier to write in javascript (node)

4) Once I build some "common" modules to update, insert, etc. I could just use them as boiler plates

5) Many times when I am "reading" a table, I want to join it to multiple other tables. Again, not as fast or easy in loopback.

Bruce

Hi.

1) Interesting.
    2) Don't really care
    3) ?
    4) Without a scafolding framework, it's good to have a start point for new projects. By the way did you evaluated SailsJS as well?
    5) That would not be just a new Model joining Tables?

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

for 3), in Loopback if you have a complex where clause (customerType = 'Q' or total - payment > 0 and (managerFlag = true and .....) its hard to right.For 5) now, I am confused. I want to script a SQL query with "From tableA inner join TableB ... Inner join TableC" Want that done on the server for performance. Do not want my model to read related records.4) Yes, I did look @ Sails, but while I had to write some error handling, etc. etc. that I am sure others have already done. It was not that difficult.Do keep me in the loop with your loopback eval (pun intended)Bruce

Sencha User

Default Stored Procedures in Loopback

Hi, blomasky

You said that calling stored procedures in Loopback could be very tedious, so maybe you worked on that, right?.

I have to use SQL Server stored procedures in Loopback, but I'm not quite sure how to. Do you have an example? I'm thinking to use just plain sql queries inside Loopback, but maybe there's another way....

I hope you can help me

Quote Originally Posted by blomasky View Post
    After spending some quality time with loopback and plain old node with express, I have opted for Express. Some of the reasons are:

1) Speed. Larger queries are about 30% faster

2) I use Stored Procedures a LOT. and its sort of a pain to call them using loopback

3) Complex where clauses are easier to write in javascript (node)

4) Once I build some "common" modules to update, insert, etc. I could just use them as boiler plates

5) Many times when I am "reading" a table, I want to join it to multiple other tables. Again, not as fast or easy in loopback.

Bruce

Hi.

About custom queries and stored procedures, it seems kind of easy on Loopback (just guessing here). On a custom remote method, before method event or CRUD event you can execute native SQL as per http://docs.strongloop.com/display/p...ing+native+SQL, that looks like a simple prepared statment.

For me, as I'm using MongoDB to this Loopback project, the include param on the queries, to access relationed models, seems enough as a way to "join" tables/documents, at least for now.