Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    geek0r is a glorious beacon of light geek0r is a glorious beacon of light geek0r is a glorious beacon of light geek0r is a glorious beacon of light geek0r is a glorious beacon of light geek0r is a glorious beacon of light

Default Improvement of release cycles

I guess the many of use are unsatisfied with the way Sencha handles and communicates releases of their products. Many threads asking when a version will be released and many threads asking when a simple bugfix-release is available.

Extjs 5.1 is more than four months old. More then 200 bugs are fixed in the nightlies. Still no 5.1.1!

Sencha cmd 5.1.2 is more than two months old. With critical bugs in it which where fixed in the nightlies. Still no 5.1.3 available.

Imho this must change. Please Sencha. Release early and often regarding bugfixes! I doesn't matter to me if there is an Extjs 5.1.12 or 5.1.38. But using nightlies in production is a "no-go".

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rich02818 is infamous around these parts rich02818 is infamous around these parts

Call me skeptical, but the dependence upon nightlies ensures a steady stream of support subscriptions...

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    farrukhwaseem is on a distinguished road

People Desperately wanting 5.1.1, they have deadlines. And what sencha team replies is beyond thinking...

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    worthlutz is a jewel in the rough worthlutz is a jewel in the rough worthlutz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    Call me skeptical, but the dependence upon nightlies ensures a steady stream of support subscriptions...
    Access to the nightly builds allows development to proceed with out having to write overrides to continue. It also allows one to check to see if the bug was really fixed in your own situation.

BUT I cannot release to production with a nightly! Or a beta! Would you?

We need regular small GA releases of bug fixes!

I'm still waiting on v5.1.1, v5.1.2, .... which should have been released months ago.

Vote Rating
    Iveco will become famous soon enough Iveco will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up

Latest GA from Sencha Touch Complete -> Version 2.4.1 on 23.10.2014

That was 6 months ago.
    If you bought the Complete - Boundle at this time (almost 5.000 $), and you have already passed 6 months without any updates it really look like its strategically done on purpose, to wait as long as possible .... so most people loose there 1-Year license subscription so on the next GA you have to pay another 5.000$.

Well they have 6 months left to proof otherwise, but having half of the time already gone, it looks pessimistic and not customer-friendly for this company. It looks way more profit-orientated.

If you think about 2007 from the beginning of ExtJs (the word Sencha did not exist) almost nobody used ExtJS because jQuery was all on the market.
    It was the little people - like us - who instead build real, full applications (Rich Internet Applications, Web-Apps) from one library and we made ExtJS big as it is today.

I feel a bit screwed like with Oculus Rift, which first used KickStarter and afterwards Zuckerberg came with 2 Billion $ cash-bag and then CEO said: Screw the little people.
    Sencha, which first used the small free non jQuery-Developers, and afterwards the Enterprise Companies wanted internal apps with support and came with a huge bag of Money, Sencha was founded, and then the CEO said: Screw the little people.

I still love Sencha & ExtJS though
    German EXT-User and -Lover :-).

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    worthlutz is a jewel in the rough worthlutz is a jewel in the rough worthlutz is a jewel in the rough

Art Landro, Sencha CEO, answered (and closed) the "Is Sencha screwing Single Developers" thread after over 1200 replies.

Maybe if we all keep asking on this thread over and over, we will get a bug fix release for ExtJS v5.1 in a couple of months.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating
    LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future LesJ has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by worthlutz View Post
    Art Landro, Sencha CEO, answered (and closed) the "Is Sencha screwing Single Developers" thread after over 1200 replies.

Maybe if we all keep asking on this thread over and over, we will get a bug fix release for ExtJS v5.1 in a couple of months.
    It's going to be two more weeks, not two months.

ExtJS 5.1.1 is on final approach and will be available by May 14th (maybe sooner).

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post

Yipee!!!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Schlurcher will become famous soon enough Schlurcher will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by worthlutz View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath, that was probably the greatest non-answer outside of politics I've ever heard. And kinda childish too, with the passive-agressive subtext in the last paragraph.

And while it's great 5.1.1 is released Soon(tm), that still doesn't address the issue of the awful release cycle. Even the commercial version suffers from this.

There are lot of problems with ExtJS, but it doesn't seem a whole lot of effort is made to fix things on a fundamental level. Look at MVVM for example, it's basically only usable for simple databinding. It's hardly MVVM at all. Yet we haven't seen any kind of roadmap or announcement where they want to go with it. Even a direct question in the forum is met with silence.

From my standpoint it doesn't seem like they care about the community as a whole, just the few select customers who pay big bucks.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri is a name known to all joeri is a name known to all joeri is a name known to all joeri is a name known to all joeri is a name known to all joeri is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Schlurcher View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath, that was probably the greatest non-answer outside of politics I've ever heard. And kinda childish too, with the passive-agressive subtext in the last paragraph.
    I thought it was a pretty clear answer. He basically said: we think ExtJS is worth the new price and people will pay it, so we're not going to change our pricing.