Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    simon is infamous around these parts

Default ext vs angular

In my company we are deciding to use extjs or angular js for building future web applications. What are the main cons and pros of ext js framework compared to angular?
    Why would someone pay for license of extjs if angular is free and can do everything as extjs can?
    Maybe extjs is more suitable for one type of web app(for example intranet, business apps) and angular for other. So, I must prepare some comparison to convince my boss to use one or other.
    -->

Sencha - Sr Software Engineer mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing, Angular cannot do what Ext JS can, not even close. You'd have to mix in a bunch of third party code to do some of what Ext JS can do and even then it's still not what Ext JS cam=n do and you'd have to worry about maintaining all the different libs you found. What happens when something doesn't work? It's up to that author to maintain it and if you've ever used a package manager (like npm) you'll know that people don't maintain their code.

With Ext JS there is a thriving commercial company behind the product maintaining it.

But at the end of the day, there are projects each are not good for, If you want a large single page app, that's where Ext JS shines. If you want a web site then Ext JS may be overkill.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Software Engineer

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.
    -->

Vote Rating
    arthurakay is a glorious beacon of light arthurakay is a glorious beacon of light arthurakay is a glorious beacon of light arthurakay is a glorious beacon of light arthurakay is a glorious beacon of light

Simon,

Sencha has recently created a variety of resources that help to address those questions:
    - "Analyzing the ROI of JavaScript in Enterprise Software Development" (Oct 2014 webinar) https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/11505/127359
    - "The Modern Web Stack" (2014 White Paper) http://pages.sencha.com/White-Paper-...Web-Stack.html

Those two are probably the best resources we have regarding pros/cons of Sencha vs Angular.
    -->

-->

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    sg707 has a spectacular aura about sg707 has a spectacular aura about

I just googled 'ExtJS vs AngularJS'. Seem to have good matches like this one

http://www.techferry.com/articles/Ex...AngularJS.html

Another candidate you should consider is maybe Backbone.js. Anyways, back to the topic... The main difference between the two is how you want to build the UI. Do you want to build a UI using HTML/CSS? then go w/ Angular/Backbone. Do you want to build UI based on Object Oriented philosophy? then go w/ ExtJS. Check out some Youtube videos and decide which makes sense for your developers.
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    I just googled 'ExtJS vs AngularJS'. Seem to have good matches like this one

http://www.techferry.com/articles/Ex...AngularJS.html

Another candidate you should consider is maybe Backbone.js. Anyways, back to the topic... The main difference between the two is how you want to build the UI. Do you want to build a UI using HTML/CSS? then go w/ Angular/Backbone. Do you want to build UI based on Object Oriented philosophy? then go w/ ExtJS. Check out some Youtube videos and decide which makes sense for your developers.
    AngularJS has some deep technical problems which is why it's completely being rewritten for the next release. I don't see this article mentions these issues. Angular 2 breaks all backward compatibility with AngularJS 1.*, and there's no clear path for upgrading.

If this is not enough, Angular 2 (and in particular the new syntax) is already widely ridiculed.

Here's a comment from the official Angular 2 status page:

"While Angular 2.0 surely looks interesting, I still cannot fully grok the absurdness of all this. If I understand you correctly, you have abandoned Angular, which is used in thousands of applications all over the world. You expect your professional users to explain to their management/customers that for an extended period of time bugfixes and feature development have to be suspended just because the entire front end application has to be rewritten. As a manager I would ask myself when Angular 2 will be replaced by some completely different Angular 3 and if there are any more predictable alternatives (if everything must be rewritten anyway). No feature of Angular 2 can compensate for the amount of trust you are losing with this move. I am really sorry for this rant but this "Meh, let's drop that technology, who cares for users anyway" sounds so much like Google."

For comparison, Ext JS 6 will be fully backward compatible with Ext JS 5.
    -->

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thank you very much for your opinions. You helped me a lot.
    br, Simon
    -->

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

On more thing.

As I understand, Bootstrap + Plugins is framework for responsive web sites - some kind of competition of ext js.

Sencha CMD creates bootstrap.js, bootstrap.json and bootstrap.css files when creating application. Does it has something to do with bootstrap framework or it is just the same naming?
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jvenchi2 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Thank you very much for your opinions. You helped me a lot.
    br, Simon
    Care about AjaxSolutions, he is completely nonobjective and his opinion is driven by his hate of everything else than Extjs !
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts AjaxSolutions is infamous around these parts

Quote Originally Posted by jvenchi2 View Post
    Care about AjaxSolutions, he is completely nonobjective and his opinion is driven by his hate of everything else than Extjs !
    jvenchi2,

I'd recommend that you read what experts such as Peter-Paul Koch have to say about AngularJS.

Looks like you have been bamboozled by the Google propaganda.

"Despite its serious technical problems Angular 1.x is a success especially among corporate developers with a Java background. The 2.0 rewrite is aimed at front-end developers, but may not reach them, and in addition will turn off Angular’s current following. I don’t think Angular will survive the rewrite."
    -->