Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ext vs angular

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Well, I'm not the expert and I'm not familiar with ES6, maybe reflection:
    http://es6-features.org/#Reflection
    Would love to see a real world usage of that and why it'd be used instead of say a method on a class.

But since javascript has new language features and extjs use older javascript language it is obvious that can't use this features. It is always good to be with standard ways.
    Yes, it is good to stay with a standard. However, the standard you are talking about isn't yet a stable standard and won't be for a long time. Also, this standard doesn't support things that Ext JS does.

It's not that Ext JS cannot be made to work with ES6. In fact you can develop an app with ES6, transpile it and it can work with Ext JS. I personally have tried creating a shim that would attempt to keep your application classes using Ext.define and such but use ES6 classes. After some trial and error, it turned out that Chrome and Microsoft Edge just do not support enough. I'm waiting on ES6 to be vastly supported in browsers before I'm going to start working with it. I'm not going to develop with ES6 and transpile it back to ES5 when I can use ES5 and be productive. A project's success is dependent on that productivity, not if I use ES6 or not.

Well, you know probably better than me, what i wan't to know. We must decide for the next 15 years which framework would be the best to take and learn for business web app.
    Since you can't afford to change it more often(rewrite everything, learn from the scratch, buy new licences if not free,...).
    This is one interesting story, if you have time to read:
    http://eshlox.net/2014/05/04/short-s...s-server-side/
    Nothing stopping you from doing this with Ext JS today.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Let me ask you, what does ES6 get you that you cannot have in Ext JS today?
    Standards... which are quite important. Ext JS stuff works only with Ext JS, ES6 is an standard and ExtJS won't ever became one.
    It's true that ExtJS brought many advanced things before many other frameworks, but today ES6 is becoming an standard and today browsers are supporting standards more than ever. But as you said in a previous comment, everything is related to your customers. If you need to support IE8, then neither Angular2 nor Polymer nor Aurelia or React are a suitable choice. You are supporting the "past" so you need a tool that also support the past.
    I'm not criticizing Ext, you have your requirements and you made a poll to choose your supported browsers, that fine. But the others also made their choice to go for the future. A riskier choice but in no way wrong.
    Also, I do think there is great value in using JS variations like TypeScript. It has many nice featureds that JS(ES5) lacks.
    Ext is terrific!!

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nomack84 View Post
    Standards...
    Didn't you noted he asked TODAY?
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Standards... which are quite important.
    Currently, ES6 browser support is not very good, see kangax.

If you need to support IE8, then neither Angular2 nor Polymer nor Aurelia or React are a suitable choice.
    Angular 2 doesn't even support IE9, not just IE8.

Quote Originally Posted by ssamayoa View Post
    Didn't you noted he asked TODAY?
    I do. But there are tools that transpile ES6 to ES5, so you'll be supporting TODAY but writing for TOMORROW. Is that wrong? TypeScript transpile to ES5, so code in TS works on IE. Have you give a look to TS? It has many nice features as a language and it greatly improve productivity.
    Ext is terrific!!

If you remove the awesome widgets ExtJS provides, then the base library is almost useless compared to ES6 and TS. I do think Ext JS is an awesome library but is almost only by their widgets. If it weren't for they, I'll stick with other options. To me, they are the only advantage Ext have against Angular/Polymer/React.
    This is an AngularJS vs Ext JS thread, so is one born wrong. It's unfair to compare Angular with Ext. What I'd really like is to start a thread about ExtJS against the new world and new technologies. A world were IE8 is not an issue, were your customers are agree on using evergreen browsers. A world where you could use Shadow Dom, Templates, Custom Components, CSS3 full support (Flexbox for example).
    Google Material and libraries implementing the specification, like Polymer, Angular-Material, React's http://callemall.github.io/material-ui would be king in that world.
    You'll find many customers which are going to agree on using evergreen browser in order to avoid spending a substancial amount of money on a propietary software like ExtJS.
    Ext is terrific!!

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxSolutions View Post
    Currently, ES6 browser support is not very good, see kangax.

Angular 2 doesn't even support IE9, not just IE8.
    Neither Polymer nor Aurelia support IE8, yet you only mention Angular, as always going against it. It'll be nice to know why you hate that much Angular...
    Ext is terrific!!

Ext JS Premium Member

Well in my company, we update browser regularly(I think it is even default if windows update service is enabled).
    Besides that most of our users (or even all of them) have installed chrome besides IE(which is by default).

If you decided to create app with framework which supports ES6(in near future) and you use TypeScript(which is obvious the future for javascript programming in base form or some other form, like AtScript)I don't see where is the problem that all of the users install the latest version of chrome.
    (Of course in case they have also IE8 for example because of some legacy app- otherwise mostly users inside company would already have the latest browser).
    There is totally other story if you have internet app outside company - in that case I see the value of supporting the old browsers.

Ok - we have the latest browser. So, we live in a world were IE8 is not an issue
    When angular 2.0 comes out also chrome will be there with full support of this library.

But on the other hand, when ES6 will be supported in most of the browsers, I guess, also extjs will follow it, the same way it follows ES5 today. Or am I wrong?

Also the most benefits typescript offers - isn't something similar also in extjs(you have build tool from sencha which compiles js files)?

When angular 2.0 comes out also chrome will be there with full support of this library.
    You keep comparing two entirely different libraries.

How will you compensate for the lack of the component layer in Angular?

Ext JS Premium Member

I guess you will have to buy it from some trusted company. Usually components are not so expensive as extjs licence which is now 3200$

But that is not the point. There will be web components, supported with es6 and probably offer better experience than components today:
    https://www.airpair.com/angularjs/po...web-components

And the point is if this is standard(the whole world will adopt that) - extjs components used like today will become obsolete. But probably extjs will follow that.

And the second, TypeScript will be standard for work with javascript. I think this is more than obvious, since Microsoft and Google merged together.
    So, I guess extjs should follow this and include typescript.

Otherwise I agree, currently extjs is number one of all frameworks for business apps.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast