Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ext vs angular

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nomack84 View Post
    It'll be hard for Sencha to compete with Google's marketing industry.
    Yes, Google's marketing is vastly larger and better funded than ours. Not mistaking that and one of the reasons why Angular is more popular overall.

Besides, Angular is open source and free and is suitable for single developers and startups, Ext not.
    The projects that Ext JS is geared towards and what Angular is geared towards are not the same.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Yes, Google's marketing is vastly larger and better funded than ours. Not mistaking that and one of the reasons why Angular is more popular overall.

The projects that Ext JS is geared towards and what Angular is geared towards are not the same.
    Exactly Mitchell. That's the primary reason this thread is wrong. There is no point on comparing Angular and Ext because they target different customers. That's exactly the same reason you can't say Ext is better than Angular because Angular has no widgets.
    Ext is terrific!!

...Angular has no widgets.
    Yeah, but the Google propaganda machine will tell you that AngularJS interoperates well with many component libraries, so it would be a mistake to dismiss the Angular threat out of hand.

Sencha needs to explain that having external dependencies is costly and less reliable.

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    As a developer who have used both ExtJS and Angular, I have built same type of projects. For example, I can build dashboard application using Bootstrap templates. Check this template from www.wrapbootstrap.com

http://webapplayers.com/inspinia_admin-v2.1/

Bootstrap is kind of like peanut butter & jelly combo for AngularJS. If I ever need to make boostrap theme application then choosing AngularJS is a no brainer. In my opinion, choosing ExtJS vs AngularJS should be based on developers and not based on 'type' of the project. If team A consist of developers who are not expert at advanced CSS/HTML to make pretty tabs or tables then ExtJS makes sense. If team B is consist of developers who are comfortable building widgets using plain old html/css then AngularJS makes sense. As said, using ExtJS is kind of like shopping at IKEA and AngularJS is Home Depot to build a furniture. Honestly, I think both frameworks are great and having more choices from developer perspective is ALWAYS positive! I mean we get bored pretty easily so it's nice to change up time to time. Lastly, it isn't a 'coincidence' that ExtJS 5 supported 2 way binding and changed their MV* Framework completely. I 'like' to believe that ExtJS have been inspired by other MV* frameworks. I'm not saying AngularJS is the king of 2 way binding but they are the first to successfuly market that feature. Man... this is getting long.. but I hope my opinion count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    In my opinion, choosing ExtJS vs AngularJS should be based on developers and not based on 'type' of the project.
    Obviously, you are not very familiar with either Ext JS or AngularJS. The second part about ignoring the type of the project when selecting Ext JS or AngularJS is totally wrong.

First, your comment is willfully misleading because you don't event mention the many architectural and performance problems in AngularJS, which is why it's entirely rewritten for the next release.

Second, if you work a lot with HTML templates on a simple application, then you might be able to get away with AngularJS. Ext JS is far better suited to working on large and complex projects that require advanced and scalable components such grids and tree panels.

As a developer who have used both ExtJS and Angular, I have built same type of projects. For example, I can build dashboard application using Bootstrap templates. Check this template from www.wrapbootstrap.com

http://webapplayers.com/inspinia_admin-v2.1/

Bootstrap is kind of like peanut butter & jelly combo for AngularJS. If I ever need to make boostrap theme application then choosing AngularJS is a no brainer. In my opinion, choosing ExtJS vs AngularJS should be based on developers and not based on 'type' of the project. If team A consist of developers who are not expert at advanced CSS/HTML to make pretty tabs or tables then ExtJS makes sense. If team B is consist of developers who are comfortable building widgets using plain old html/css then AngularJS makes sense. As said, using ExtJS is kind of like shopping at IKEA and AngularJS is Home Depot to build a furniture. Honestly, I think both frameworks are great and having more choices from developer perspective is ALWAYS positive! I mean we get bored pretty easily so it's nice to change up time to time. Lastly, it isn't a 'coincidence' that ExtJS 5 supported 2 way binding and changed their MV* Framework completely. I 'like' to believe that ExtJS have been inspired by other MV* frameworks. I'm not saying AngularJS is the king of 2 way binding but they are the first to successfuly market that feature. Man... this is getting long.. but I hope my opinion count for something.
    While this is true, don't use a framework if you don't need to, you are also forgetting about one important thing: maintenance. Ext JS highly suggests a file structure and it's API is the same throughout the framework.

With Angular, you get to roll your own Ext JS which on the surface does sound great. You get to pick and choose the libraries that do one thing very well so bundle it altogether and you should have a better application. However, when that application needs maintenance this can break down easily. What if you need to update a library to fix a bug but that update causes issues in the binding code you had to create between the libraries. Ok, now you have to patch that but that patching causing issues with another library you had to integrate. Ok, now you have to debug and patch that integration. Ok, so that's part of the job (I do have friends that go through this and that's what they say, it's part of the job). What if you had some turn over and now you have some new developers and they now have to first learn how you built things. They may be experienced in the libraries you mixed together but since there is no one way (even a suggested way) to integrate things, they will have to learn how you did it. Not sure what developers you have worked for but if it's not done the way you want it, you may never love how it's done. Ok, so they learned how you do things and now they can fix things. Oops, turn over happened again, this field is known for job hopping. Rinse and repeat.

Like I said before, I have friends who have to deal with this and it's part of the job. Picking up animal droppings is also part of the job of a dog walker...

Check out my GitHub:

I'm not saying AngularJS is the king of 2 way binding but they are the first to successfuly market that feature.
    2-way binding is an anti-pattern and other libraries including AngularJS are moving away from it.

Have you tried to use AngularJS with an AMD loader? You have to jump hoops to use it with a loader such as RequireJS. Again, this is something that is supposed to be fixed in Angular 2...

Finally, I find it quite unethical and misleading to praise a library w/o even mentioning that it faces serious technical and architectural problems, which is why it's totally rewritten for the next release.

Ext JS Premium Member

Mitchell, i have one additional question :

What do you mean by this:
    "Google has a history of pulling the plug on products even when they seem successful. It's not a trusted name when it comes to developers. GWTcomes to mind there. "

As i have found, GWT is still productive toolkit for building web sites:
    http://www.gwtproject.org/

I'm lookin forward for your anser
    Simon

Google no longer maintains GWT, I believe GWT 2.5 back in 2012 was it's last release. They decided to open source it but they no longer have management over it so it's up to the managing committee now to keep it going.

Check out my GitHub:

The Death of AngularJS

"A little while ago talk of Angular 2.0 came about. Instead of it being a natural evolution of the framework, it was revealed that it would be a complete rewrite. The backwards compatibility, transclusion and most hated of them all: dirty-checking would either be removed or rewritten in a more efficient manner in 2.0.

But the Angular team did something that no open source project in a highly competitive battlefield should do: they announced a new version of their highly popular framework that would have no backwards compatibility with the 1.x branch and that there would be no upgrade path whatsoever."

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast