Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: ext vs angular

Sencha Premium Member

Well I dont know what you mean by a "Google Product".

GWT has always been Open Source with Apache 2. Otherwise I dont think Sencha would have GXT.

Only difference now is that People outside Google are more welcome to contribuate since the team at Google is now smaller. And personally this is even better for GWT than it was before.

You post implied that Google has dropped GWT. Which is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxSolutions View Post
    I predict the Google decision to rewrite AngularJS will prove disastrous.

Many thousands of businesses standardized on AngularJS 1.3 and now they have no clear upgrade path. So how do you think these businesses, which thrive on stability, will feel about the rewrite? They will be very unhappy with Google. I won't even mention the many developers whose hard-learned skills will be obsoleted overnight...

I won't work to say "we had no choice".
    It's nice you speak about this 2 days after Angular 1.4 was released and Angular 1.5 is already in planning state. Your statements couldn't be more misguided.
    Ext is terrific!!

Quote Originally Posted by nomack84 View Post
    It's nice you speak about this 2 days after Angular 1.4 was released and Angular 1.5 is already in planning state. Your statements couldn't be more misguided.
    Google already stated that they will stop Angular 1.* support within 18 to 24 months after Angular 2 is released, so you will be left to yourself (or other developers) and stranded w/o any official support. The clock is ticking.

In any case, upgrades to big-bang rewrites do not work, and this is a fact. So, if you have any experience, you should not believe any statements about upgrade paths. This won't work and you will be forced to rewrite your applications as well.

If you don't believe me, please check with those who have a little more experience... perhaps those tried to upgrade applications from Ext JS 3 to Ext JS 4 or Dojo 0.4 to Dojo 0.9.

Google already stated that they will stop Angular 1.* support within 18 to 24 months after Angular 2 is released, so you will be left to yourself (or other developers) and stranded w/o any official support. The clock is ticking.
    This is interesting. Could you point where did you read about this? What I heard is completely different. AFAIK they said they will stop Angular 1.* support when there are no interest from the community in it, they never state a timespan period as you mentioned.
    Ext is terrific!!

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ekambos View Post
    Well I dont know what you mean by a "Google Product".
    http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com.../gwt-news.html

In the past year, GWT has undergone dramatic changes - from a Google owned product to a fully open sourced project with community contributions, and strong support from member companies including Google.
    So now it's best intensions to keep it going. I'm not saying it's bad that GWT isn't a Google product, I'm saying they could stop using it whenever they feel like it.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

This is interesting. Could you point where did you read about this? What I heard is completely different. AFAIK they said they will stop Angular 1.* support when there are no interest from the community in it, they never state a timespan period as you mentioned.
    Why do you require so much spoon-feeding? This info is readily available.

http://jaxenter.com/angular-2-0-112094.html

"
    According to Brad Green of Angular, Angular 1.3 will continue to receive bugfix and security patch support for 18-24 months after the release of version 2.0."

"
    According to Brad Green of Angular, Angular 1.3 will continue to receive bugfix and security patch support for 18-24 months after the release of version 2.0."
    http://www.infoq.com/news/2015/03/an...erns-addressed Third paragraph...
    Ext is terrific!!

"
    You should check for updates more frequently. This is exactly why you are misguiding newcomers.
    Ext is terrific!!

You should check for updates more frequently. This is exactly why you are misguiding newcomers.
    "We'll continue releasing Angular 1 releases until the vast majority of you migrate to Angular 2"

I see lots of usual Google propaganda in this article, and you believe this misleading statement?

I'll give it 18 to 24 months at the most after Angular 2 is released, and then you will have no official support.

Secondly, there's no way to migrate to Angular 2 because there is no official migration path, which is a huge complaint.

Angular 2 is a completely different framework including a new syntax. So, don't believe any statements about migration paths.

The word "migrate" is misleading because you will nee to rewrite your AngularJS 1.* applications, but, of course, they won't mention this fact.

This is exactly why you are misguiding newcomers.
    There's no "misguiding newcomers" when you tell the truth that Google is hiding.

Angular 2 is a brand new framework with no resemblance to the previous release, and there's no clear migration path. Just read the linked articles to see what problems you will face.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast