Thread: Utility for maintaining XTemplates in xml files and integrating into your app

Sencha User

Default Utility for maintaining XTemplates in xml files and integrating into your app

Hi all,

One of the things I have struggled with is how to edit and manage XTemplates. I use Architect in some projects to handle this, but am not thrilled with its editor. Overall I really like Webstorm, esp. with the new sencha plugin, but the XTemplate editing situation is not good there either.

So, I created a utility that will allow you to maintain some/all/none of your xtemplates in xml files external to your views. This allows me to use the xml editing and formatting capabilities of Webstorm which is ideal.

See here: https://github.com/scheid/extjs-xml-xtemplates

I have integrated this into the Sencha Cmd build process such that the xml files get concatenated and converted into a single javascript file at build time (via a python script). The resulting javascript file contains string variables representing each of your xtemplates, and in your views, you can simply assign these variables to the tpl property of a container, etc.

Once set up, you can simply edit your xml xtemplate files and the edits automatically get propogated to the views at build and run time.

I find this is especially helpful with large templates. I still tend to keep my smaller templates as strings inside my views.

Hope this is of benefit to you all.

Sencha User
    Answers

Cool! Thanks for sharing your work with the community!