Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sencha website made with Wordpress?

Sencha Premium Member

Default Sencha website made with Wordpress?

I viewed the source code of sencha.com and I was surprised not to find any sencha-alike structures there. Instead I noticed references to Wordpress and jQuery. Just out of general curiosity: why is the main company website of Sencha not created with Sencha/ExtJS itself?

Sencha Premium Member

Simple: Ext JS is a web framework, but not a CMS on itself. Developing a Drupal, Joomla or WP like CMS would take lots of time and effort. Why re-invent the wheel?

Sencha Premium Member

I would have built it with Ext JS. Content management systems exist for people who don't know how to code. How hard is it to open up a text editor and update some copy? I don't know one Ext JS developer who would ever even consider using jQuery.

Sencha Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
    Simple: Ext JS is a web framework, but not a CMS on itself. Developing a Drupal, Joomla or WP like CMS would take lots of time and effort. Why re-invent the wheel?
    Exactly.

I would have built it with Ext JS. Content management systems exist for people who don't know how to code. How hard is it to open up a text editor and update some copy? I don't know one Ext JS developer who would ever even consider using jQuery.
    Not everyone who works at Sencha is a developer. Marketing and Sales should not need to open a file ever, or use FTP etc, just to update website copy.

jQuery references may come from an analytics tool we use -- one we (obviously) didn't write.

If we spent man-hours writing everything on the website from scratch, nothing would ever get done. We're a relatively small company, and we don't have a team of developers focused solely on the website.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by arthurakay View Post
    If we spent man-hours writing everything on the website from scratch, nothing would ever get done. We're a relatively small company, and we don't have a team of developers focused solely on the website.
    I can understand your argument here, but let me try to explain it from a (potential) customer point of view: "the company that creates and tries to sell me a web framework thought it would faster and/or better to create a website in Wordpress. Why can't they do it with their own framework?"
    Also, the argument that otherwise 'nothing would ever get done' doesn't feel good to me, since Sencha prides itself with 'Rapidly design, develop, and manage cross-platform web applications' (taken directly from the front page).

Not everyone who works at Sencha is a developer. Marketing and Sales should not need to open a file ever, or use FTP etc, just to update website copy.
    Completely agree, but a very basic CMS shouldn't take that much time to set up. And I think especially Marketing and Sales should be easy to convince of the importance of using their own framework.

To be clear: I like the Sencha framework and am not trying to be negative about the website. It is just something that I noticed and think should be improved on your end.

Sencha Developer

Quote Originally Posted by sjoerdl View Post
    Completely agree, but a very basic CMS shouldn't take that much time to set up.
    You've never actually build a CMS, have you? (Sarcasm, not trying to pick a fight. I've built a CMS before, and I never ever want to do it again. It's about a million times harder than it sounds... and if you have built a CMS, then we'll have to agree to disagree here.)

I understand your point, but just because we could doesn't always mean we should. I respectfully disagree that "because Sencha builds a web framework means we ought to use it for everything". If we built our own CMS, you're damn right we would use Ext JS for the interface... but why reinvent the wheel? We're not selling a CMS, nor are selling website design tools/services. We're selling tools that help you build business applications, and our examples (and sales/marketing copy) clearly demonstrate that focus.

It's the same reason we don't build a "mobile version" of our website in Ext JS or Sencha Touch -- we view a public corporate website as inherently different from a "web application".

----

Stepping back for a moment, I think your ultimate point was potential customers might say "Sencha doesn't drink their own champagne" when it comes to our website/forum/etc. That's certainly fair for people to say, but that should never be a deal-breaker for deciding to buy our products.

My $0.02 anyhow. I know people disagree with me, but having worked in both Engineering and Marketing here at Sencha I honestly don't believe Ext JS (or Sencha Touch) are the right tools for building a website. I would actually suggest that if we did use our products for that purpose, people should look at us funny because we reinvented the wheel using the wrong tools.

Sencha Premium Member

It's really a shame that Sencha's website isn't designed as a single page app. It would have also been nice to see the responsive design handled via Ext JS's responsive configs. A couple of missed opportunities to really showcase the great strengths of Ext JS.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

I would agree with Art that the web site shouldn't be made with a framework built for a web application. Yes, a web site !== a web application. jQuery is great for web sites but falls short for web applications. Ext JS is great for web applications but is overkill for a web site. The difference to me when referring to a site like sencha.com is that people want to come and go from a page or two fast, Ext JS would be overkill. Web applications are usually open for a while with people working within them. That's just not how people will be interacting with sencha.com as a website by and large.

Where it makes sense to use Ext JS we use it. Sencha Fiddle is Ext JS. Support portal is Ext JS (with a new version coming!). Sencha Space management portal is Ext JS.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha Premium Member

You've never actually build a CMS, have you? (Sarcasm, not trying to pick a fight. I've built a CMS before, and I never ever want to do it again. It's about a million times harder than it sounds... and if you have built a CMS, then we'll have to agree to disagree here.)

My $0.02 anyhow. I know people disagree with me, but having worked in both Engineering and Marketing here at Sencha I honestly don't believe Ext JS (or Sencha Touch) are the right tools for building a website. I would actually suggest that if we did use our products for that purpose, people should look at us funny because we reinvented the wheel using the wrong tools.
    Is a CMS really necessary? The only content I've seen change, since the launch of the new website, is the content for the jQuery carousel on the home page (which could have been built with Ext JS) and the removal of the developers from /company/team page. It seems like your typical, run of the mill, corporate website, i.e. static web pages. Seems to me like you may have picked the wrong tool after all.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jearlu View Post
    Is a CMS really necessary? The only content I've seen changed is the content for the jQuery carousel (which could have been built with Ext JS) on the home page and the removal of the developers from /company/team page. It seems like your typical, run of the mill, corporate website, i.e. static web pages. Seems to me like you may have picked the wrong tool after all.
    It seems you're not familiar with what is actually using Wordpress and what will be moved over to using Wordpress.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast