Vote Rating
    nenadg is on a distinguished road

Default Critique request: Jasmine testing Ext JS outside of browser

Hi all,

I've been working on pretty hefty Ext JS application for some time, and in the process we made this tool for testing end-to-end scenarios that fits in our development cycle. Our goal was not to test separate units (which can be considered as bad practice), rather some user's scenario. Of course, one can do unit testing because basically those tests are Jasmine tests.

The tool works along 'sencha app build' process and will test Ext JS (JavaScript) code in the end.

It would be great if you could test it and give your feedback, since there are no tools that I'm aware of, that run along build process, that can test your product at the end. And for what we have - all are in-browser testing scripts.

I've been looking for the way to separate plain code testing from browser-dependent testing, and I think this could be it.

Here's the link: https://github.com/nenadg/jasmine-no...s-testing-tool

Thanks!

(already posted this in other thread)

Sencha - Support Team
    Vote Rating
    Gary Schlosberg is a name known to all Gary Schlosberg is a name known to all Gary Schlosberg is a name known to all Gary Schlosberg is a name known to all Gary Schlosberg is a name known to all Gary Schlosberg is a name known to all

With what versions of Ext JS does this work?
    Are you a Sencha products veteran who has wondered what it might be like to work at Sencha? If so, please reach out to our human resources manager: fabienne.bell@sencha.com

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Schlosberg View Post
    With what versions of Ext JS does this work?
    5.x

Vote Rating
    arthurakay is just really nice arthurakay is just really nice arthurakay is just really nice arthurakay is just really nice arthurakay is just really nice

Seems like a cool idea. I'd love to see a video of this in action, only because it involves a lot of setup time. I assume your own projects have a lot of tests written already too, which would be cool to see.

Do you care to comment about how this might be different from running Siesta with PhantomJS? I've never been a fan of running DOM tests in Node (even with JSDom) simply because it isn't the true DOM (whereas PhantomJS is). Perhaps you can change my mind :-)

Vote Rating

I must say that I haven't played much with PhantomJS, since at the point I started with this, I was unable to load Ext JS application with it. On the other hand jsdom is a tool I've been using heavily from it's starts (it came as logical choice since I've been working with Node).

The hole point of loading Ext JS app and test it this way is because I use Jasmine a lot, and there was no way to automate testing process in ways of no brainer 'let it run and fail/pass' if possible during build period. Configuring DOM that come with jsdom is completely other story, and that was hard part (and a bit hacky). Also, IMHO jsdom's DOM is agnostic DOM and that makes it kind of ideal for end-to-end scenarios once you succeed with loading something complex as Ext JS, and that's what I did there.

And for setup, as a matter of fact, it should be really simple to use it. The explanation I provided at Github page seems a bit complex though.

I've ran small part of tests with this tool, since it's in unpolished state (for example, there is no canvas support, yet we use Sencha Charts), that's why I was looking for second opinion - is it worth trying to push this further?

Running Jasmine tests at build time seems like good thing to me .