Thread: Single license copies of Architect?

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Default Answered: Single license copies of Architect?

So it looks like it is not possible to purchase a single license of Architect any more?

2. Correct, 5-pack minimum..
    Just added "1" to my team, and had to buy 5 licenses.

Answers

Correct, 5-pack minimum..
    Just added "1" to my team, and had to buy 5 licenses.
    Sven Tore Iversen

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

I think this is a bad business model. It kills the single developer who is trying to learn the product and prevents them from selling it to their managers.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have been burned like this. 1st with java applets, then with GWT, then with adobe FLEX, and now Sencha. I know that java and GWT were free, but both are now no longer popular in the front end community.

I think this is the last time I learn a technology that is not open source and free. Now I have to learn bootstrap js, and/or angularjs or one the declarative technologies. These frameworks are like the flavor of the month. What a pain. I was hoping to avoid this sort of thing with Sencha, but I guess not. I am very disappointed.

There is no way that I am going to convince my manager to spend 7 grand for ExtJS and Architect.

Sencha User

Default It does not matter. Arcihtect is dying.

Nobody is trying to fix bugs or answer questions. Sencha will eventually die because managment does not care for independent developers. They do not care at all for the people who supported them from the beginning. At this point they only care about $$$$ and nothing more. It is a shame. They used to have a great product.
    Quote Originally Posted by denisputnam View Post
    I think this is a bad business model. It kills the single developer who is trying to learn the product and prevents them from selling it to their managers. This is the 3rd or 4th time I have been burned like this. 1st with java applets, then with GWT, then with adobe FLEX, and now Sencha. I know that java and GWT were free, but both are now no longer popular in the front end community. I think this is the last time I learn a technology that is not open source and free. Now I have to learn bootstrap js, and/or angularjs or one the declarative technologies. These frameworks are like the flavor of the month. What a pain. I was hoping to avoid this sort of thing with Sencha, but I guess not. I am very disappointed. There is no way that I am going to convince my manager to spend 7 grand for ExtJS and Architect.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Unfortunately I have to agree with you.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tingo View Post
    Nobody is trying to fix bugs or answer questions. Sencha will eventually die because managment does not care for independent developers. They do not care at all for the people who supported them from the beginning. At this point they only care about $$$$ and nothing more. It is a shame. They used to have a great product.
    I believe this model is a better way for Sencha to price their products:

http://itextpdf.com/pricing/desktop_license
    http://itextpdf.com/pricing/server_license
    http://itextpdf.com/pricing

In this manner, a single developer can afford to keep up with Sencha's technology and expand the pool of developers who can promote it.