Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Architect until 2016????? 2017????

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Default No Architect until 2016????? 2017????

i was listening to the webinar "Whats new in Ext JS 6" and a question as asked of the Director of Product Management" When can we expect a version of SA to work with 6

His answer

blah.. blah.. blah..
    Significant amount of Improvements...
    blah.. blah.. blah..

Lots of work going on in SA ..... (really????)
    Lots of changes...

blah blah blah..

Much more complex than before but...

WE ARE "TARGETING" TO GET "SOMETHING" OUT BY THE END OF THIS YEAR

but there is significant work... (so, in other words, I have no clue!)

So, let me see if I have this straight. Your editor that I paid $$$ for won't be ready until at least 6 months after the product has been released. (and that means about 9-10 months since coding started!

Thank you Sencha!

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Seconded.

SA has appeared to be the red-headed step child of Sencha products since its introduction, despite the fact that its price reflects a premium offering. It's always been a flaky piece of software, too, but it's saved me a lot of time and effort building ExtJS applications. I only recently found out that Aaron Conran, the former lead engineer/director for SA, is possibly no longer with Sencha. Departures of key people are rarely a good sign for a product. And the fact that information on the next release of SA is practically non-existent leads me to surmise that its future is in doubt.

On the other hand, perhaps the hemming and hawing relative to the question about SA's future suggests that Sencha has recognized the flaws in the application and they're doing a total re-write that will deliver a much more stable and useful product. I'm not wild about waiting another 5 or 6 months to see it, but maybe it's the best course of action in the long run. Whatever happens with SA, I hope Sencha is able to synchronize the release of new SA versions with ExtJS releases going forward.

If anyone from Sencha is paying attention to this thread, I'd love to hear what you have to say about this. There are a lot of SA users who probably all have the same questions.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mlmcconnell View Post
    If anyone from Sencha is paying attention to this thread, I'd love to hear what you have to say about this. There are a lot of SA users who probably all have the same questions.
    +1
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by mlmcconnell View Post
    Seconded.
    +1

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

+1

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

It stands to reason that the departure of SA's lead developer is going to cause significant delays. However, given my experience with Ext JS 5.0.1 the prospect of waiting until the end of this year for a version of Ext JS 6 that works with SA isn't going to cause me too much grief. The adverse changes to models from 4 to 5 meant that I should have stuck with 4.2.3 for a bit longer, in hindsight. I only went with 5.0.1 for its accessibility improvements.

I dare say that Ext JS 6 is probably so buggy right now that I wouldn't want to touch it anyway. Sure, SA feels like a 386 emulator most of the time, but I still wouldn't want to create GUI code by hand. It's quite likely that I'll have to embark on a complete rewrite of a large planning system written 18 years ago in plain old ASP, so it would be nice if Ext JS 6 is ready to use in SA soon, but I guess I'll just have to hope that upgrading from 5.1 to 6.x isn't going to be the nightmare that I had with 4 to 5 (mostly thanks to silly model changes and "writeAllFields: false" becoming the new default for a Json Writer, grrr!!!!).

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Marc, from what I know, ALL of the SA developers have left, so I "assume" they have a 3rd party working on in.. perhaps.. maybe... or perhaps it's just smoke and mirrors and no one wants to tell those of us who bought it. Sort of embarrassing that no one from Sencha will tell us what is REALLY gonna happen.Brucep.s. Sencha, if you are lurking, put my (and other minds @ ease), just tell us how many people are tasked with re-writing SA.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Answers

If Aaron Conran's linked in page can be believed, he's been gone sinch March 2015. Also, it would not appear that he was lured away by another company as he's shown as self employed now...

This proves nothing, but it (along with the other statements in this tread) is consistent with a defunding of the SA project, at least for now.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaronconran

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    This proves nothing, but it (along with the other statements in this tread) is consistent with a defunding of the SA project, at least for now.
    That would be a great shame because I only chose Ext JS to replace Telerik Rad Controls thanks to the existence of Ext Designer (as it was called several years ago).

I guess if Architect goes the way of the dodo then I could at least restart my efforts to generate Ext JS grids/stores/models based on table/view definitions in SQL Server (I wouldn't have the major hassle of getting them into Architect, at least). Yes, I have seen the Data UI Builder but it's of no use to me and only does 5% of what I could otherwise create using my own code generator (the way I want it to).

Answers

Hi all - Just to confirm the comments here. I am no longer with Sencha as of March 2015. I was presented with a very attractive opportunity and after 7.5+ years of being at Sencha I felt it was time to do something new.

I was able to meet with the team that is taking over Sencha Architect a few weeks back and go over the Architect codebase with them. As Designer/Architect was my baby, I certainly want to see it continue to thrive.

I still check in here every once in a while and I'm still working with Ext JS on a daily basis. I'm always reachable via LinkedIn or email [email protected]. Best of luck to everyone.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast