Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Thread: Is ExtJS dying

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by mstijak View Post
    I'm the lead developer of CxJS. I would gladly answer all of your questions about CxJS at our new Reddit page.
    Can you briefly compare CxJS with Ext JS? Why CxJS could be an alternative to Ext JS?

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Can you briefly compare CxJS with Ext JS? Why CxJS could be an alternative to Ext JS?
    One of the long-standing problems of Ext JS is the appearance. Almost all Ext JS apps look very similar. My company, Codaxy, addressed that issue with our premium themes for Ext JS, but our customers were never completely satisfied. CxJS is much more flexible in that sense.

The other thing is that JavaScript ecosystem moved on. We now have React, Babel, webpack and npm. CxJS tries to work on top of these technologies and offer the best developer experience. It's really hard to go back once you get used to modern ES syntax, npm packages and hot module replacement from webpack.
    Checkout Dextop or Pecunia demo.

Sencha Premium User

It's really hard to go back once you get used to modern ES syntax, npm packages and hot module replacement from webpack.
    I agree, but in terms of features, capabilities and scaleability, how does CxJS compare with Ext JS?

Ext JS is known for having a strong grid offering. How does this compare with the CxJS grid?

Sencha Premium Member

Ext JS is definitely more mature and we lack a tool like Sencha Architect.
    CxJS grid is very powerful with features such as row expanding, row editing, buffered rendering, infinite scrolling, grouping, drag & drop, etc.
    We don't have pivot grid features yet, but we might add that in the future.
    Charts are a first class citizen in CxJS. With webpack's code-splitting it's really simple to build very large applications while keeping fast loading times.
    Regarding other features, it's important to say that CxJS is a completely new implementation with a different philosophy on state management and data binding which takes some time to get used to, especially for long-term Ext JS developers.

I'm happy to continue this conversation, but it might be better to move it to Reddit.
    Checkout Dextop or Pecunia demo.

Sencha Premium User

I tried that Dextop demo and all I got was this and a small iframe with nothing in it:

Code:
    Uncaught TypeError: c is not a constructor
        at eval (eval at getInstantiator (ext-all.js:20), <anonymous>:3:8)
        at Object.create (ext-all.js:20)
        at constructor.initComponent (showcase-app.js?cb=879105919:1)
        at constructor (ext-all.js:20)
        at new constructor (ext-all.js:20)
        at eval (eval at getInstantiator (ext-all.js:20), <anonymous>:3:8)
        at Object.create (ext-all.js:20)
        at constructor.initComponent (showcase-app.js?cb=879105919:1)

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    You could say the same about ExtJS (or any other advanced component library). Using ExtJS components on your wordpress site is not a great idea.

Yes, I would agree that using Ext JS components on a WordPress site isn't a good idea. But you can use them on stand-alone web pages with only a couple of includes in the header of the file. I don't know if Cxjs widgets would be so accomodating, being reactive-ish things?

The other thing is that JavaScript ecosystem moved on. We now have React, Babel, webpack and npm. CxJS tries to work on top of these technologies and offer the best developer experience. It's really hard to go back once you get used to modern ES syntax, npm packages and hot module replacement from webpack.

I'd say that list of weird and wonderful technologies is a good selling point for Ext JS, actually. I've enjoyed not having to juggle them all these years, and recent playtime with them just gave me the heebie jeebies. The web could be so much better than this mess, but sadly, the holy grail is still quite a way off. Ext JS is great for people like me in the corporate space developing internal applications that aren't world/customer facing.

Sencha Premium Member

Thanks for reporting. We have fixed the issue. Please note that Dextop is an old product.
    I don't know how to change my signature. The option to edit it seems to be gone.

Sencha User

CxJS Gallery seems to be the best place to see what CxJS can do. It's also seems to be the only place where they use material design theme.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    CxJS Gallery seems to be the best place to see what CxJS can do. It's also the only place where they use material design theme.
    We use the Material theme in the Worldoscope demo. I'm really proud of how that application looks. There is also this app template with the preconfigured theme.

Ext JS Premium Member

Ext JS is definitely more mature and we lack a tool like Sencha Architect.
    CxJS grid is very powerful with features such as row expanding, row editing, buffered rendering, infinite scrolling, grouping, drag & drop, etc.
    First, You wouldn't be trolling the EXTJS forums if your product was "all that". There are some things beyond maturity that CxJS lacks. Layouts perhaps? The grid appears primitive, not that I'm a big fanboy of EXTJS' look&feel. Sencha Architect is a minor advantage to those of us who hand-code. CxJS is not an option from what I've seen.

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast