Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ExtJS dying

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Is AngularJS 2.0 still supposed to be released this year? I don't see any official statement, there's only speculation when it might be released.
    2016 has always been the target. They're currently on track for a beta release in January or February. (https://github.com/angular/angular/m...nes?state=open)

Quote Originally Posted by JacobGu View Post
    they're already moving into Polymer.
    Polymer isn't a framework, it's a set of web components, and Angular 2 works seamlessly with web components. Polymer isn't an Angular alternative. If anything, it's a Material alternative.

Sencha Premium Member

my 0.02 cents worth. I have customers using ExtJS who I will continue to support and enhance their applications, BUT, I just got a new customer and I was required to learn AwareIM. If you are willing to think out of the box (no source files, all of your logic is stored in a DB, VERY fast) and want to work with a product that likes small developers, check it out.Bruce

Ext JS Premium Member

2008-2011 ExtJS was thriving. Around 2012 it just seemed the licenses and the "Sencha Complete" pricey bundles left smaller shops in the cold. Having worked with ExtJS since it's early days, the framework is incredible. There is no question about that. True the JS layouts could be improved, but overall ExtJS is an outstanding framework that should be much more popular than it now is!

In my opinion, this is what went wrong. Developers and Architects now have alternatives. When deciding on a framework you'll assess cost, availability of a skilled workforce, and availability of *a thriving open source community*. All three of these, despite the framework being rock solid, are directly impacted by the popularity of a framework. ExtJS could have been at the top, but certain mistimed strategic decisions just didn't let the framework take a market lead.

The following didn't help either:
    1. Today, try to download ExtJS from Sencha's site. A developer will go to: Products > Frameworks > ExtJS. Yes, no link to download. You'll fill out a form right at this point it's an obstacle to get started. Looking for the GPL licensed version? I can't find the download link for that at all.
    2. Sencha Touch - around 2010 I recall SenchaCon it was announced as open source and free to a resounding applause. This became the de facto hybrid mobile framework on the market. I'm not too sure what happens to it now. With ExtJS 6's modern toolkit does that mean Touch is now end of life? If so, to use it you'll need the ExtJS license.
    3. ReactJS - In my opinion ExtJS has a parallel future being a widget layer on top of ReactJS. A combo of ReactJS and ExtJS's widgetry would be an incredible combination.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by imran View Post
    1. ReactJS - In my opinion ExtJS has a parallel future being a widget layer on top of ReactJS. A combo of ReactJS and ExtJS's widgetry would be an incredible combination.
    The "widgetry" in Ext JS is the only thing that is preventing me from jumping ship. If something as well-rounded comes along that integrates well with React, for example, and is TypeScript-based then I'll be sold.

Sencha Premium Member

I have noticed that Google is not any more as helpful as before solving problems with ExtJS 6(and version 5). Most of the time "relevant" search results are for ExtJS 4. This is a direct result of Sencha's actions to concentrate on big companies(and de facto forgetting open source all together). It's really a shame for such a nice framework but soon there won't be enough developers who truly knows ExtJS and it forces smaller companies to choose some other framework.

Sencha Premium Member

Ext5 and Ext6 are some marketing releases anyway. Dont see any added value there.

Just look at how many people from the community are building extensions and so.
    Back in the day this forum was full of awesome stuff. Today the forum is no mans land

Sad ...

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ekambos View Post
    Ext5 and Ext6 are some marketing releases anyway. Dont see any added value there.
    ViewController, ViewModel, Router, diff toolkits are just part of marketing releases?

The work needed to get Ext JS and Sencha Touch on the same page required API changes (some breaking) which can require a major version (aka Ext JS 5). Then with the different toolkits, this required more changes which can require a major version (aka Ext JS 6).

Guess we'll agree to disagree on the "marketing releases" statement
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imran View Post
    Today, try to download ExtJS from Sencha's site. A developer will go to: Products > Frameworks > ExtJS. Yes, no link to download. You'll fill out a form right at this point it's an obstacle to get started. Looking for the GPL licensed version? I can't find the download link for that at all.
    Check our licensing page for GPL download, it's linked under the Store heading in the above menu.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Sencha Premium Member

Now well You are right. They are more than "marketing releases".
    I think that opinion came because we dont use none of those features and we figured how to use Ext and Touch in the same project back to Ext version 4.

Now does all of those features justify the price tag ? Dont think so.
    We all know that there is something lost in this community since you(Sencha) decide to go all enterprise customers.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    ViewController, ViewModel, Router, diff toolkits are just part of marketing releases?

The work needed to get Ext JS and Sencha Touch on the same page required API changes (some breaking) which can require a major version (aka Ext JS 5). Then with the different toolkits, this required more changes which can require a major version (aka Ext JS 6).

Guess we'll agree to disagree on the "marketing releases" statement

Sencha User

I used to prefer ExtJS over Angular (before getting burned with extjs 4.2.1)

Ever since ngMaterial though AngularJS is a lot more viable than before. I understand that Sencha is a company trying to make money, but I think they do a really horrible job of capturing the open source spirit of things. Making only initial releases GPLv2 and then all the bug fixes paid, kills it for me. Open Source is supposed to inspire you wanting to contribute something back. So if I write a control and it inspires an extjs core version of it then has a bug, I can only get the fix if I pay? That just seems wrong. I am very much looking forward to the maturity of AngularJS, I think in another year or so it will take a lot of existing ExtJS apps over.

If you havent seen ngMaterial I encourage you to check it out: https://material.angularjs.org/latest/

Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast