Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ExtJS dying

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by leandrobbsa View Post
    Nowadays no one seems to care.
    How many are sharing their work here after version 4 ? How much feedback do they get ?

I would guess that, given Sencha's commercial focus these days, the majority of users are like myself, and are salaried code monkeys paid to churn out corporate apps (or otherwise) and have no time to be thinking about putting together bits of code for other people's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by leandrobbsa View Post

Even you just said "Cool, But I wont use it". Why would not you use it ? What can be done better ? etc ..
    It's probably a matter of me being happy with what I have already on my iPhone (which syncs to my iCloud which I can use on my Mac). I'm sure this other thing created with Ext JS is good but probably not so good (sorry!) that I'm going to give up what works well for me now. Until recently I had never heard of Ahom Desk so it would have to become much bigger and more widely known before I would contemplate moving my stuff from Apple. I don't think I'd be their target audience anyway.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post

It's probably a matter of me being happy with what I have already on my iPhone (which syncs to my iCloud which I can use on my Mac). I'm sure this other thing created with Ext JS is good but probably not so good (sorry!) that I'm going to give up what works well for me now. Until recently I had never heard of Ahom Desk so it would have to become much bigger and more widely known before I would contemplate moving my stuff from Apple. I don't think I'd be their target audience anyway.
    Dont Want to highjack this thread with Ahom Desk stuffs (Since there is another thread where we can discuss this) But I feel like I needed to clarify what the desktop is or whats it s not. So others dont get confused.

Ahom Desk is not about replacing the services that you are currently using. Like it says on the website we are a layer on top of the things that you already use. We just try to unify and simplify them.
    Everything in one place instead of having to deal with multiple service/urls separately.

Our Drive app for example brings the local filesytem, Google Drive, DropBox (And we will add mor services in the future) together, so that you could for example with a simple Drag and Drop move a file from one service to another, or directly upload a file from
    you local hard drive to those services.

Same as our messenger app where you can use Whatsapp, Slack, Skype etc from a single interface. Same as photos, events, contacts, etc etc. We are just bringing things that one uses at different places together.

Bottom line is you still use those service under the hood. We just give a different entrypoint to them.

Matter of fact you can even decide to not use our apps at all and use those services directly by adding them to your profile from the store(that we will fill soon)

So in your case you can still can use iCloud from within Ahom Desk. No need to move your data to our platform. In fact we dont even offer such a service as iCloud.

Hope this will make you give us a try.

You will like the service. I promise

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post

I would guess that, given Sencha's commercial focus these days, the majority of users are like myself, and are salaried code monkeys paid to churn out corporate apps (or otherwise) and have no time to be thinking about putting together bits of code for other people's benefit.
    I guess you are right. It's kind of sad really, to acknowledge the Sencha community has been reduced to 'monkeys paid to churn out corporate apps'.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by MRMV View Post
    I guess you are right. It's kind of sad really, to acknowledge the Sencha community has been reduced to 'monkeys paid to churn out corporate apps'.
    Who said that corporate apps aren't interesting or challenging (which makes it fun)? Every project will teach you something, there are challenges in each project and there can be a ton of money to be made in these apps.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    Who said that corporate apps aren't interesting or challenging (which makes it fun)? Every project will teach you something, there are challenges in each project and there can be a ton of money to be made in these apps.
    I don't know who said corporate apps aren't interesting or challenging, but I am sure it wasnt me.

I was simply referring to you using the term 'salaried code monkeys' in combination with the fact there is no time to be thinking about putting together bits of code to benefit the community. I see that as a sign of a dying community.

Sencha User

Default Angular 2 is a worthwhile replacement.

I started using extjs in it's 3.0 days and at the time no one was able to replicate the tools available in the framework. I've been happy for the most part with how the framework has matured.

I've been paying for a sencha license as a single developer for over 6 years. and I've endorsed the platform to my clients, regrettably.

With the elimination of the single license, an extjs license now would cost me $15, 000 canadian. And it's not worth that to me. Their aggressive pricing has forced me into looking into alternatives and I'm now developing with angular 2. I feel like I'm a better coder now for it anyways. and it's more flexible.

It was fun while it lasted Sencha. and I'm sure you are making larger profits in the short term, but In a few years when no one remembers who you are ... you'll remember alienating your largest supporters as the cause. Catch you on the flipside... D.

Sencha Premium Member Mjollnir26's Avatar

@Dmoney does angular 2 provide you with complete components out of the box?
    Like Grid, Window etc.
    Or do you have to get them from all over github / the internet?

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir26 View Post
    @Dmoney does angular 2 provide you with complete components out of the box?
    Like Grid, Window etc.
    Or do you have to get them from all over github / the internet?
    Kendo UI + Aurelia provide complete components and a nice modern MVVM framework to create nicely structured web apps. Aurelia even provides support for Typescript if you prefer it over ES 2016.
    Here is a blog post explaining how to use Kendo UI with Aurelia framework. Demos can be found here.

Also, Kendo UI developers plan to have complete native integration with Angular 2 by the end of the year (more info).

Why React? Why not Angular 2?

"Angular 1x is a great example of the fanboi framework phenomenon where adoption was driven largely by Google's popularity and not by the technical merits of the framework. Without the Google name behind it, Angular would have quickly fallen into obscurity; cast off because of it's refusal to consider the lessons learned by other frameworks and languages of the past. Let's face it; Angular 1x is terrible, Google knows it and this is why they've abandoned it in 2.0"

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxSolutions View Post
    Why React? Why not Angular 2?

"Angular 1x is a great example of the fanboi framework phenomenon where adoption was driven largely by Google's popularity and not by the technical merits of the framework. Without the Google name behind it, Angular would have quickly fallen into obscurity; cast off because of it's refusal to consider the lessons learned by other frameworks and languages of the past. Let's face it; Angular 1x is terrible, Google knows it and this is why they've abandoned it in 2.0"
    Fact: AngularJS developers are more in demand vs ExtJS developers
    Fact: AngularJS can build everything that ExtJS can and vice versa. In fact, not just AngularJS but with plain HTML/CSS/Javascript

I come here thinking and hoping that they make this framework more popular so that I can continue to use it but all I hear is these posters saying "ExtJS is #1 None is better!". Are you so ONE dimensional that your web development depends on it? By far ExtJS's best component is GRID but are you saying you can't even create table with simple sorts/filters/paging? You guys should focus on the way ExtJS is becoming obsolete due to lack of demands. I have seen countless tech JS sessions talking about Angular/React/Aurelia/Meteor/etc... ExtJS isn't even on the map. Forget the comparison. If the demand dies then so will ExtJS. Focus your comment on that.

Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast