Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ExtJS dying

Sencha User

I've been working with extjs since v1, which was the time it was called sth like yui-ext i think. Since then it has always been my favourite frontend framework, because it was architected very well. Even now there is no match for extjs components and their rich features. Whenever I see another one on the web, I quickly come to the point "okay, another library that is far behind".

The sad thing is, a framework which i praise like this should've been in somewhere different today. I've seen lots of job applications requiring angular, react so on. Although not the same type of thing, I've almost never seen anything that requires extjs. Obviously, there are huge mistakes in marketing and management. Another thing is open source community of course. Idera has to find a way to boost the community, or it'll eventually die.

Sencha Premium User

I have being working with extJS from V1 also. Sencha has a really poor marketing strategy:

ExtJS?. What is ExtJS?. That's the questions my customers does when I speak about ExtJS

If I allow them to search in google and see the Sencha web page, its even worse. The examples showed in www.sencha.com don't show what really Sencha is. The only way I can do its to show my owns projects, my own works (I am included an image with a little amount of examples of my ExtJS jobs in that post). They can have a doubt that its really solved when they see the price, having in mind that a lot of others engineers are telling them that are other JS frameworks better and free.

Today I am seeing one example that Sencha has published in their home page as the "main example" labeled as:

See What’s
    Possible with Ext JS
    Explore this fully functional web application built with Ext JS.

The link is that: http://examples.sencha.com/coworkee/#login

Really?. Thats the better example they can do with their own framework?. Really that example show the really incredible things its possible to do with ExtJS?. Really that example its a solid argument to force my customers to pay ExtJS licenses and force their engineers to learn ExtJs when that engineers thinks the same as the director I am trying to convince?.

When I show my own works, really complicated and bigs works that acts as a really desktop and fully functional applications in the explorer, working with a databases with more than 800 millions record tables, with filters, ordering, reporting, customisation possibilities, etc., etc., etc., the conclusion that they arrive is:

"ExtJS don't do that, César Zea do that with ExtJS, but its not because he is using ExtJS, its because César Zea could do the same with other frameworks if César Zea was using other framework. There are free frameworks and my engineers, my own point of view and the examples that Sencha show as the "state of the art" of the ExtJS framework are telling me that César Zea is trying to sell me the technology that is convenient for him, not for me. César Zea is lying to me and he knows it, because there is no argument, not even on the Sencha website, to endorse what he claims and that contradicts all the reality that I see."

Really I have to fight against Sencha to convince my customers?.

I don't know who is the marketing director in Sencha or if they really want not to expand the product to the market. Talking about licenses prices..... its better not to talk about. Really 4.000 $ to start?. Thinks about the IT manager, that is not a developer of course. He has some developers telling: "No, ExtJs its not good, as you can see in the Sencha web page". "No, ExtJs no, there are better solutions". "No, ExtJs no, if ExtJs were good a lot of more developers were using it and its not really"..... and the IT manager has to pay 4.000 $ and tell their managers colleagues that really its a good decision?.

I am sure that Sencha has hidden intentions about ExtJs product that we don't know or we don't understand, because its impossible that they know nothing about all of that.

Presentación1.jpg
    SaveSave

SaveSave
    -------------------------------------
    SQL Server expert consultant.
    ExtJS developer from ExtJS 1.0 version to now.
    Java developer.

Working as freelance and in my own company from 1.999
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/cesarzea/
    www.jaunesistemas.com

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

This reply is just some honesty. I'm not saying anything for or against what you want, please take this just as information.

tl;dr; I 100% agree

For examples, it's been a middle game with being approachable for new people (as they will start with an app and start editing it from there) and showcasing features but also man power. The history of the framework, we never had a large development team so we never had a lot of time to devote to large applications like you are speaking of so it's not just about wanting or not wanting large application examples, it's also about lack of resources. I also felt the examples didn't have a fancy UI to showcase the features or not in a way that was as obvious as it should be, I felt the examples were more for devs to see features implemented. I also felt like we didn't have examples for some of the ore "data entry"/back office type of apps that Ext JS does really well in and instead made something smaller that looked good. This sort of is the same thing that your image shows, it's not beautiful (I think classic theme is beautiful but I've also been around it for a few years) but I do agree with you that's what Ext JS does really well in and it needs to be showcased more.

I also felt our aim was too high up the corporate ladder and was more at the C level executives where buzz words mean more. I know I've heard things like "Sencha handles enterprise data" and as a developer, I'm not sure what that actually means (poorly structured data?) but C level execs feel that's a good thing. Those execs also understand monolithic things much better whereas the entire field has moved away from monolithic frameworks. I think there is a lot of benefit to the one thing to install and you're good but if that's not where developers want to be, it's a dead argument. I've always heard with operating systems, if you don't have numbers of installs then you need to make it developer friendly or else it'll die off. Ext JS right now, has neither except for the existing dev base which seems to be dwindling too.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha User

The example on the front page is terrible not only because it doesn't really show the capabilities of ExtJS but also because they made it a lot more complicated than it should be by heavily customizing default ExtJS widgets. Most people new to ExtJS looking at the example code would be really confused and their first impression would be that the framework has super steep learning curve. They should have built some data focused app like the ticket app instead of just a silly dashboard like thousands you can find on the web (some of them even looking a lot better than the Sencha one).

Sencha Premium User

Wink

I, too, have found the Ext JS demos to be too basic and they rarely helped me figure out how to implement something (and especially implement it "the right way"). The demos (understandably, I guess) use fake data just to look good but as a developer who had to figure out how to connect things to databases, the demos were next to useless. In the early days I did some terrible things due to the lack of useful, real-world, database-centric examples.

Since then I've been a good boy and done things properly but my organisation is restructuring such that most, if not all, of my Ext JS apps will be replaced within a year or two at most. The dwindling popularity of Ext JS (and the noted absence of jobs requiring it) mean that I've moved beyond Ext JS now and am focusing on Java (for which, I note, there are plenty of job opportunities).

I'll always look back fondly on my time using Ext JS and be proud of the amazing apps I wrote with it.

So long, and thanks for all the widgets.

Not sure where to ask such kind of question, so do it here) Did anyone used https://cxjs.io/? Is it any decent alternative to ExtJS?

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoriy Mikhalkin View Post
    Not sure where to ask such kind of question, so do it here) Did anyone used https://cxjs.io/? Is it any decent alternative to ExtJS?
    Interesting pricing. The first two licenses are free.

https://cxjs.io/pricing

Sencha Premium Member

Opened a ticket, after two weeks i'm still locked on their bugs... So, for me is dying..

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoriy Mikhalkin View Post
    Hey that is pretty cool looking. Thanks for sharing that as I never have heard CxJS before. They even have some ext js themes availabel too: https://www.codaxy.com/Themes

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by Alessio Brunello View Post
    Opened a ticket, after two weeks i'm still locked on their bugs... So, for me is dying..
    You are a bit late... It was decided last autumn that the framework is dead after IDERA fired the whole development team and replaced them by some Indians.
    Article from last year: The rise and fall of Ext JS

Now the discussion is about what could be a good replacement.

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast