Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ExtJS dying

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

IMO it's not a technical thing. Altho Ext JS hasn't been using modern things like others have (like class keyword), Ext JS should still work just fine in it's current form and it does some things that I haven't seen like accessibility (some 3rd party libs implement it, most do not). So if these things are critical to your app then Ext JS will continue to chug along. Apps that I've built for some extremely large enterprises, I only used Ext JS because 1) it was already established 2) because I was already familiar with it but any of those apps, I don't see anything there I couldn't use React, Vue or Angular (accessibility was never a requested feature). It's more how Idera is handling the acquisition both externally and internally and what that is saying about the future of Ext JS.

Opening windows within the same browser window is pretty trivial to do and there are lots of libraries that can handle these. In fact, I remember creating windows with Prototype back in ~2005 with drag/drop and resizing.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by kobolds View Post
    1. I used angular in small project , one thing i don't like is using library here and there. which causing lack of consistency. while in extjs you don't need to worry that .
    You basically have DevExtreme and Kendo UI as two decent choices. I have tested both and imho DevExtreme wins in terms of amount of different widgets/functionality and configurability. They are both nowhere near as advanced as ExtJS classic toolkit but they are also both less expensive and more trust-worthy in terms of future releases and customer support.

2. both don't have good IDE , if you need type 1000++ code of lines , whether you using extjs or angular , i don't see any different
    Not true. JetBrains IDEs (WebStorm, PhpStorm, Rider, etc) have perfect support for Angular 2+ and Typescript.

3. type script belong to Microsoft
    It's a open source technology, anyone can inspect the code and contribute on GitHub. It's also widely used by loads of different companies. On other hand, ExtJS JS thick abstraction layer on top of vanilla JS is only used by Sencha and is not something you can instantly understand and use if you haven't used ExtJS before.

4. I using extjs to build web desktop application (SPA) with MDI windows. my customer quite impressed by the capabilities. which i have not see it yet for angular.
    You can do that with DevExtreme and some other Angular UI frameworks.

Sencha Premium Member

ExtJS is nice for LOB applications but comparing to plain Angular is not fair.

I stop using ExtJS ~1.5 years ago (I didn't renewed my subscription) and went to DevExtreme components + AngularJS: there are some components I miss (panel, spliter and so) but found other components that, IMHO, are superior to ExtJS's. I also have been maintaining an AngularJS 1.5 + Material application for ~6 months and no longer miss ExtJS besides Architect.

At first I regretted my decision but now I'm happily working with Angular and AngularJS.

BTW, are you using Architect? If not you should.

Regards!
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    You basically have DevExtreme and Kendo UI as two decent choices. I have tested both and imho DevExtreme wins in terms of amount of different widgets/functionality and configurability. They are both nowhere near as advanced as ExtJS classic toolkit but they are also both less expensive and more trust-worthy in terms of future releases and customer support.
    hakimio, do you still have your notes when you compared DevExtreme and Ext JS? Can you briefly compare DevExtreme and Ext JS?

Would you say DevExtreme is a better choice than Kendo UI?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjays30 View Post
    This is May 2018, we have sencha 4.x app from 2014 and now we are upgrading to 6.5, Its like a rewrite, one year worth with 2 developers, We have come up with a way to have both 4.2 and 6.5 running side by side with linked pointed to each other, having said that and looking at state of Angular 6, typescript, bootstrap 4, Angular Material, D3, I can project we will be rewriting our apps in Angular soon, Other teams here have abandoned ExtJS and moved to angular, no new Projects in ExtJS now.
    I've done 1 upgrade from Ext3 to Ext6. Well it was almost a full rewrite, almost (some parts of the code could been re-used with some adjustments). But imo based on my experience with the 3 to 6 upgrade, and another one I've done from 5 to 6, it should be way easier and faster to upgrade from 4 to 6 and from 5 to 6, that in the case if the code followed the best practices and was written well. Usually many companies don't invest much in app developing by hiring low performers/devs and they focus on speed rather than quality making maintenance and upgrade very difficult ending up with a double cost. And I've seen this with Angular 1 to 2 as well.
    Github https://github.com/vadimpopa
    Blogging @ : http://vadimpopa.com
    Twitter: @vadimvpopa

Ext JS Premium Member

I stop using ExtJS ~1.5 years ago (I didn't renewed my subscription) and went to DevExtreme components + AngularJS: there are some components I miss (panel, spliter and so) but found other components that, IMHO, are superior to ExtJS's. I also have been maintaining an AngularJS 1.5 + Material application for ~6 months and no longer miss ExtJS besides Architect.
    Although I've heard of those libraries but don't have any hands-on experience, the number ONE measure of an JS library is the "grid". We chose EXTJS because it had the best grid we could find. For business apps this is critical. In our applications we have over 200 grids. Having a store, a class model, etc, is icing on the cake. However, what the future holds for EXTJS is anyone's guess. I'll be lobbing a football with Steve Young later this afternoon and I'll ask him.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    hakimio, do you still have your notes when you compared DevExtreme and Ext JS? Can you briefly compare DevExtreme and Ext JS?

Would you say DevExtreme is a better choice than Kendo UI?
    Kendo UI vs DevExtreme

• You have to write a lot more boilerplate code when using Kendo UI. For example, simple CRUD data grid on Kendo can take more than twice as many code lines because DevExtreme has grid editing plugin which is easy to customize for your own needs and built-in data source classes for web api and odata can take care of talking to the server side.
    • There are some features missing in Kendo UI (which they don't plan to implement). For example, there is no tree picker component on Kendo side.
    • No standard data store classes are present on Kendo UI. While Kendo has some helper functions for querying for data from .Net Core web api, handling create/update/delete actions requires to implement your own custom data service classes and then handle all the CRUD UI events manually instead of just assigning data store class instance to UI widget and letting the widget take care of it for you like it does in DevExtreme.
    • At least the last time I was looking at Kendo UI, I couldn't find any "real-world" Angular examples. Just some basic component examples/demos. On the DevExtreme side, you have at least a couple "real-world" example apps where they use Angular components (SalesViewer and Golf Club).

DevExtreme vs ExtJS
    There are few things I miss from ExtJS and there are some things which, I think, are done better.

Most of the things I really miss are related to data management:

• Model classes automatically converting/parsing data from the server
    • Data validation defined on data model level instead of on UI widgets
    • Entity associations defined in model classes. When using ExtJS you can simply call "company.employees()" to get all the employees who belong to a specific company, while in DevExtreme, if you are using simple Web API, you call employeeStore.filter(["companyId", "=", companyId]) or, if you are using odata store, companyStore.byKey(companyId, { expand: ["Employees"] }).
    • ViewModel classes with formula and store definitions
    • Being able to simply change some record or store in one place and have all the widgets using that record or store automatically update.

Also, some other minor things:

• In ExtJS parent UI component class can require other child UI component classes. In Angular all components have to be declared in a module which can result in some bloated modules and unclear dependency chain.
    • Panel widget. DevExtreme provides "Popup" widget which is pretty much a floating panel with pretty much all of the customizability of ExtJS panel widget, but I would like to have it as a non-floating component as well.
    • While DevExtreme provides "box" and "responsive box" layouts and you can also use some modern CSS layouts like "CSS grid", I do miss some of the ExtJS classic toolkit layouts even they perform quite poorly with a larger amount of components.

Now the things I like more about DevExtreme than ExtJS:

• IDE auto-completion and static code analysis. Auto-completion in ExtJS view and viewModel definitions is pretty much non-existant which slows you down not only because you have to be checking documentation all the time but also because of some stupid typos like "autoload" instead of "autoLoad". Auto-completion in controller classes is also pretty much terrible unless you put JSDoc annotations on everything: most of the time you either get many unrelated suggestions or nothing at all. When using DevExtreme Angular you get perfect auto-completion and static analysis in both - view templates and your TypeScript classes. You even get pretty good code linting for Angular out-of-the-box once you generate your Angular project using Angular cli utility.
    • Some of the DevExtreme UI widgets are actually better than the ones provided by ExtJS. For example, "Ext.ux.TreePicker" like pretty much all of the things in "Ext.ux" namespace, is a terrible incomplete and buggy widget which might not have been updated since when it was introduced in ExtJS version 4. DevExtreme provides a simple way to have treeview in a drop down with filtering, paging, virtual scrolling and all the other features you would expect to have.
    • Some of the things are simpler to implement and require less code in DevExtreme than in ExtJS. For example, if you want to have grid with record adding/editing using "Add/Edit" window in ExtJS, you have to define "Add" button, edit, delete command columns, the actual "Add/Edit" window and all the other handler logic. In DevExtreme you basically just include "editing" grid plugin and set "mode" to "popup". That's it. You can also customize the default field editors or define your own form from scratch for editing the data if the default form is not good enough.
    • Often you have an id of an associated entity in your record (for example, employee record having "companyId" field) and in your grid you actually want to display information about the associated entity. So, in ExtJS you define a renderer function for a column and then either refresh the employee grid when company store loads or make sure employee and company stores load in specific order. In DevExtreme, you just declare "lookup" column which takes care of everything for you.
    • Bug reports and feature requests are taken seriously by DevExtreme team. Looking at Sencha side it seems like nobody cares what people are posting in bug forums.
    • DevExtreme support people actually know what they are doing unlike some of the current Sencha employees.
    • DevExtreme has a clear roadmap and a clear release schedule you can rely on. Releases happen the same time every year and feature set is known half a year before.
    • As it's an open source project you can also submit pull requests instead of just having your own personal override library like you do with ExtJS.
    • Unlike Sencha, DevExtreme embraces open source and allows using their framework in open source applications for free. And don't tell me that there is some ancient ExtJS GPL version because at this point it's pretty much clear to everyone that Sencha gave up on GPL a long time ago.
    • Better pricing model.
    • Big community of Angular developers. It's really easy to find how to do one thing or another with Angular by simply googling. On the ExtJS side, honestly, there doesn't seem to be any community left at all.

To add to that, DevExtreme's React grid is turning out to be a very good grid and with Redux a lot of the binding that Ext JS has been pretty good at (and some things you knicked DevExtreme for) is taken care of, just in a different way than Ext JS.

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    To add to that, DevExtreme's React grid is turning out to be a very good grid and with Redux a lot of the binding that Ext JS has been pretty good at (and some things you knicked DevExtreme for) is taken care of, just in a different way than Ext JS.
    So, now the question is should I use the DevExtreme's React grid or ag-grid in a React project?

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    So, now the question is should I use the DevExtreme's React grid or ag-grid in a React project?
    The thing with ag-grid is it's more mature but watching DevExtreme come up is great. They've been doing quite a lot of releases this year so there is a lot of activity. So as someone was giving DE some love, thought I'd throw some love in there too

Check out my GitHub:

Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast