Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ExtJS dying

Sencha Premium User

Sencha User

No matter what, but licensing and pricing is big con for declining extjs developer community.

Completely unreliable with regard to licensing and pricing

That ExtJs is expensive is not the problem, but what they did is started completely free, then switched the licensing model when they had profited from the community. Also, they suddenly switched from a single user license to a minimum of 5 users.

Expensive licensing

ExtJS is free for use in open source projects, but you have to use the unstable version which is riddled with bugs. Furthermore, to build a project (even if it's open source), you have to buy their proprietary tools.

CON
    Quantity yes, quality no

There is a large amount of source code that can be useful and indeed all the samples works flawlessly.
    When you try to get into more complex scenarios you will find yourself in situations where things just do not work as expected. You will have to do manual work.

very interesting comparasion here.

https://www.slant.co/versus/35/14704/~extjs_vs_angular

Sencha Premium User

shyboy,

I totally agree with your assessment. Sencha still behaves like there's no competition, but there's now a ton of competition both commercial and open source.

Sencha's products used to be popular for the first few years, but then popularity of their products started a steady decline for the past 6-7 years. This is mostly due to pricing and licensing. Ext JS is still quite good and there's a need for this type of software, but Sencha has been ignoring the competition.

Of course, the fact that Idera fired almost the entire Sencha development team delayed the Ext JS modernization effort by 9-12 months. As a result, many customers lost confidence in Sencha following the acquisition.

Sencha Premium Member

As I wrote before several times, ExtJS has been following the Delphi route:
    Excellent product ruined by bad management.
    I recall when Borland renamed to Inprise then back to Borland, then tools division spin off as CodeGear and finally purchased by Embarcadero.
    Also recall how the price of Delphi went from few hundred to thousands.
    Also recall the buggy / unfinished versions (Delphi 4, Delphi 6, Delphi 2005 to name few) and long bug fix periods.
    Sounds familiar?
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Default Not unhappy

I would just like to say that not everyone is unhappy with the current state of the sencha/idera tool chain, I am still a fan and have no plan on "moving on" anytime soon. The syntax of extjs, level of MVVM integration, templates, grid, etc... in my opinion is still ahead of any other product.

Erik

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ErikJAX View Post
    I would just like to say that not everyone is unhappy with the current state of the sencha/idera tool chain, I am still a fan and have no plan on "moving on" anytime soon. The syntax of extjs, level of MVVM integration, templates, grid, etc... in my opinion is still ahead of any other product.

Erik
    Once again, it's not a technical things (altho people would argue the "still ahead" comment especially templates, binding). For example: https://twitter.com/davemillar/statu...80064362921984

Although a bit of a passionate tweet, the person is right to be upset by not feeling appreciated even after 7 years (altho I don't think the trigger thing is a bug). But also read the screenshot with the blue covering the Sencha employee's name. It says:

We are very backed up due to very limited resources. A team of engineers has been narrowed down to only a few.
    So if you're ok with this, then great. This is a glimpse behind the scenes from a current employee and was said today.

[EDIT] I also know who said this and made sure it was ok to quote this person, surprisingly the person said he says these things for Idera to read so some internal bs it seems too!
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Quote Originally Posted by ErikJAX View Post
    Sooooo, Idera has been at the wheel for less than a year and somehow they are responsible for not looking into a 7 year old support ticket that was never resolved?

A bit of a stretch to say the least.

Erik
    Ticket wasn't 7 years old, the bug was. And in fact, like I said, it wasn't a bug (least not in 6.5) as it was a simple SASS variable that needed to be set. And my post wasn't actually about 7 years, it was an attempt to show what an current employee was saying about the inner workings to confirm some people's assumptions to how things are going inside.

Check out my GitHub:

Sencha Premium Member

Seems that ErikJAX regretted and deleted his misleading comment.
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

yeah, I deleted it after looking at the post and realizing he was looking for support a few months ago, oops.

Overall I was just trying to say that the person you were quoting was not feeling appreciated LONG before Idera made any changes.

You missed where I said "the person is right to be upset" but that wasn't even what I was focusing on, just a warning of passionate language...

Check out my GitHub:

Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast