Thread: Ext JS spelling

Sencha Premium User

Default Ext JS spelling

Why is the name of the framework spelled this way, i.e. with a space in the middle?

Some popular libraries such as RequireJS or AngularJS are spelled w/o a space.

The name Ext JS (with a space) creates some practical problems. For example, when I search for work opportunities I often get wacky and irrelevant results where Ext simply stands for a phone extension.

Is it possible to rename the framework to just ExtJS when the next major release is available?

As an example, another popular JavaScript library lodash was recently renamed (with version 3.0 release) from "Lo-Dash" to just "lodash". The name lodash is a lot simpler.

Sencha Developer

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Why is the name of the framework spelled this way, i.e. with a space in the middle?

Some popular libraries such as RequireJS or AngularJS are spelled w/o a space.
    Why? Ext JS was originally an extension of YUI (called yui-ext), so I believe the naming convention came out of our historical split with YUI.

- http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/10/10/t...stions-slocum/
    - https://www.sencha.com/blog/a-fond-farewell-to-yui/

I spotted two old blog posts that use "Ext JS" from back in the 1.1/2.0 days:
    - http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    - https://web.archive.org/web/20070909...-20-a-preview/

The name Ext JS (with a space) creates some practical problems. For example, when I search for work opportunities I often get wacky and irrelevant results where Ext simply stands for a phone extension.

Is it possible to rename the framework to just ExtJS when the next major release is available?

As an example, another popular JavaScript library lodash was recently renamed (with version 3.0 release) from "Lo-Dash" to just "lodash". The name lodash is a lot simpler.
    I don't have the authority to say this way with any certainty... but if the answer is anything other than "no" I would be *really* surprised. It's the name of our flagship product, and it's been that way for almost a decade.

FWIW I see job postings all the time that list "ext.js", "extjs" "sencha ext js" and every variation in-between. Is there confusion? Yes, but honestly we're so far down the path of branding "Ext JS" that it's nearly impossible to reverse course -- assuming that's even something Sencha thought was a good idea

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion however changing the name of the framework not quite be practical. If your issue is primarily due to search terms within Google, you may wish to try +"Ext Js" forcing google to look for the term with a space.

Sencha Premium Member

And then there's always the question of how to pronounce "Ext JS." I've noticed that people who have been around since the early days often still call it E-X-T-J-S, but I've heard current employees of Sencha pronounce it like X-J-S. (Trying to enunciate the "t" in "ext" is awkward, at least for those of us who speak American English with a Midwestern accent.) If you weren't so invested in the Ext JS brand, I would think that you should just own it and call it XJS:

Code:
    X.define('MyClass', {
      extend: 'X.dataview.List'
    });
    X.create('MyClass');
    Chad Glendenin

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

In my experience, newer devs/people tend to spell it out but people who I've been around for some time pronounce it. Back in the yui-ext days, it was an ext-ension of YUI so I tend to pronouce ext instead of spelling it out. Also, it's Ext JS not EXT JS, it's not an acronym. Although, I hear people pronouncing YUI instead of spelling it out, MySQL the same. It's also shorter and less work to pronounce Ext JS versus spelling it out

However, last time I talked to Jack Slocum at SenchaCon `13, he said he never cared what people called it even back then, at least people were still talking about the same thing
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens