Thread: combox / selecting from large recordsets

Sencha User
    Answers

Default combox / selecting from large recordsets

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best / proven way to select a record from a large dataset as part of a form. For example, take an invoice form that requires the selection of a customer. For small datasets I could easily use a combox, for hundreds of thousands of customers that cannot be loaded from the server in one go, this is not an option, because the combox has several shortcomings in that case. For example, with queryMode:remote and displayField!=valueField I cannot use setValue to load an existing value, because the combobox's store will usually not contain the required record at that time.

However, since the problem seems to be such a standard one, I cannot believe, other people have not come across is and I am wondering what would be a proven way in Ext to select a record from a large dataset, if it not by using a combobox.

Thanks in advance for any pointers / any experience shared!

Answers

There are other approaches, of course, but one way I approached this in the past was to extend the combobox so that when an initial value was selected, it would make a request to the server which included the value as a filter. This would return the selected record (or the appropriate page of data, if desired), so the displayField != valueField scenario is resolved.

Thanks
    Joel

Sencha User
    Answers

Thanks, Joel, for sharing your approach. That is exactly what I have been doing so far. However, I find it hard to believe that such a common usecase is not covered by standard components in such a big framework as ext is. Thus my question. Any other pointers, anyone else?