Thread: Visual Studio Enterprise Crashes after Installation of PlugIn

Default Visual Studio Enterprise Crashes after Installation of PlugIn

Hello,
    i've downloaded the trial version of ExtJS and the PlugIn for VS. Unfortunate VS is crashing everytime at startup after I installed the PlugIn.

Here are my system specs:
    VS: Enterprise 2015

VS was a fresh installation. So no other extentions of plugins have been installed yet.

The Event Log of Windows gives me following informations:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 14.0.24720.0, time stamp: 0x564ea97e
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x74264c9f
    Faulting process id: 0x154c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d130cb8aab8e70
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: ca616670-9cbe-11e5-ba52-b808cf114532

Has anyone an Idea what could be wrong?

Sencha - Dev Team
    Answers

Hi Markus,

For starters lets verify Visual Studio starts without the plugins installed. Try to launch the IDE in safe mode as explained here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx

Did you install any other plugins along with the Sencha plugin?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cdibbz View Post
    Hi Markus,

For starters lets verify Visual Studio starts without the plugins installed. Try to launch the IDE in safe mode as explained here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx

Did you install any other plugins along with the Sencha plugin?

Thanks.
    Hello,
    I've started VS in SafeMode and it started up without any problems.

To answer your question: No, I haven't installed any other plugins along with Sencha. Only VS was installed complete.

One observation I made is that if I make a 'repair' on VS it will work for one day or so before it start to crash again on startup.

Meanwhile I've replaced the Senchaplugin I've downloaded fromt he website with the plugin from the Visual Studio Galery. With the same result.

Edit: To be more clear: I've only run the installation of VS with that Installation some 3rd party components like the Android SDK was installed too.

Sencha - Dev Team
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Markus.Heid View Post
    Hello,
    Edit: To be more clear: I've only run the installation of VS with that Installation some 3rd party components like the Android SDK was installed too.
    These aren't extensions/plugins for Visual Studio though, correct? If so I'd try disabling them (Tool > Extensions and Updates... > Installed > Disable) to ensure there is no conflicting extension.

Also, could you grab your activity log and plugin log file(s) for me?

Activity log should be under: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\1x.0\ActivityLog.xml (if it exists, the x will be either a 2 or a 4 depending on your VS version 2013 or 2015)

Extension log(s) should be under: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\1x.0\Extensions\<random directory>\Logs\*.txt

Hello,
    AFAIK if you install those 3rd Party tools also the plugins 'Get Xamarin' and 'Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova' are installed but both are provided by MS.
    Beginning with today I've got crashes again.

Unfortunate there is no %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\1x.0\ActivityLog.xml on my machine. How can I activate it?

The file at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\1x.0\Extensions\<random directory>\Logs\ isn't a txt but a log. I'd try do attach it to this post via 'Manage Attachments' but the system keep telling me that it is an invalid file.

I too have this problem. I tried to reinstall system but it does not help me. http://screencast.com/t/wf8jUXw6w I don't have ActivityLog.xml http://screencast.com/t/uc3UYZuQVJp and extensions logs too

Sencha Premium User alexander.urban's Avatar
    Answers

Me too. The first time I started up, it seemed to work. I was asked to provide Sencha ID and password, and did so. Then it said "Trial license activated, 29 days remaining". (I am not sure why trial only?) Then it asked me to restart VS, which crashes ever since. I found neither log file on my system, do I have to enable logging somewhere?

I am not sure about the issue, but this is a German PC with a German version of Windows and a German version of VS. Could be the same for Markus Heid, dunno about ggymasium. Maybe an issue with localization and/or timezone?

I've also started VS in SafeMode which works without any problems.

Event log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: devenv.exe, Version: 12.0.31101.0, Zeitstempel: 0x54548724
    Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 6.3.9600.18007, Zeitstempel: 0x55c4bcfc
    Ausnahmecode: 0xc000041d
    Fehleroffset: 0x00015b68
    ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1cd8
    Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d149fe50bbf559
    Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Berichtskennung: 943c66a5-b5f1-11e5-8285-d8fc93d7a3b0
    Vollstndiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
    Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Sencha User AlexanderDrackaProfiq's Avatar
    Answers

Hello Markus.Heid, ggymnaisum, alexander.urban
    first of all I'm sorry for so late reply. The problem with nonexistent ActivityLog.xml can be resolved like this:
    Start VS from command line via this command:
    Code:
    devenv /log
    See this link. After that you should be able to see this file in default path.

In case of extension's log file you were right it isn't .txt file but .log file. Nevertheless you can open it in text editor (notepad, pspad, etc) and post it here just like common text. After you provide these information I can make a new bug in our bug tracer.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

Sencha User

Solved this problem by Reinstall the Plugin

Start VS in safe mod via the console
    ->VS install path: devenv /SafeMode
    ->in my case is the install path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\"
    Tab Extras and choose Add-In
    ->search under "installed" the Sencha plugin and deinstall
    Test your VS after deinstall
    Reinstall Sencha plugin

Greetings Nejox