Vote Rating
    wpostma is on a distinguished road

Default Is there any demo applications for ExtJS Plus ASP.NET WebAPi?

I installed the new Visual Studio IDE plugin for ExtJS + ASP.NET WebApi. It creates, as advertiszed a solution, containing a project which has the same ExtJS default demo application as you would have got if you used Sencha CMD from the command line.
    This is so disappointing to me. I thought that at least, the project would contain a sample WebApi controller implementation (HelloWorld) and that the ExtJS code that invokes the WebAPI would be in there.

So, since the skeleton contains NO clues how to go about connecting these, each person starting with a new application has to figure it out the hard way. I had high hopes, but how do you even demo this feature? You should make your template be whatever any Sencha employee who wants to demo the product should want, which is to see the debugger working with a C# webApi skeleton controller, maybe it could just return some array of items in JSON, and then you display those in something, like a grid on the ExtJS client. Voila, it is obvious that it all works.

Instead I fail to see ANY value in the plugin because I have no idea how to get started.

Are there any demos available to learn from?

Warren

Sencha - Sr Software Engineer mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Warren,

This is the whole should examples be simple, complex or moderate debate and each has pros and cons and even those depend on the developer looking at it. So for you, the example created is too simple but I've talked to many that say it's overwhelming to them so it's hard to find a good medium but even then it won't satisfy everyone.

In the Ext JS SDK download there is an examples directory with some examples. Some are simple examples but some are web apps. The web apps are not the most complex because they are often used as a starting point for beginners but they are more than just simple examples. These web apps are the Kitchen Sink, Feed Viewer, Ticket App (which is a very popular example), Portal and Simple Tasks. These examples are linked to from the examples landing page and are provided in the Ext JS SDK download for you to read or copy to play with on your own.

We also have some template applications that are also in the Ext JS SDK download in the templates directory. The template applications are the Admin Dashboard and Executive Dashboard. These are skeleton applications that give you a head start but depending on what your project is and the UI you have to create they may not suit you. With Sencha Cmd, you can generate a new app and use the --template argument to say which template application you want to use. More on that here.

Regardless of how simple or complex an example or template application is, the code provided will show some ways to handle and configure things and hopefully you become more comfortable enough to break out of the example to start working on a project.

I know you mentioned having an example integrated with a server side (C# for your request) however we want to stay away from actual server side integrations. The reason for this is there is no limit to the number of integrations that people use. Ext JS doesn't care what server or how it's setup, as long as the assets are delivered to the browser and there is an endpoint to receive JSON or XML then all is good in the world, those setups are just up to you to setup. Most times than not, a server setup is already decided on before starting an Ext JS project although sounds like you might be in the evaluation stage with Ext JS. We have some simple PHP scripts for some of the examples that require at least some sort of dynamic data but these can be simply swapped out for the server setup you go with.

And of course if you need help along the way, we are more than willing to answer any questions you have.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Software Engineer

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating

I am aware of the Kitchen Sink Demos. Of course.

Number of Demos that show C# ASP.NET WebApi working with ExtJS? ZERO.

Number of IDE Plugins developed for Visual Studio + ExtJS? ONE.

See? One > Zero. That's my point. We need a reasonable demo. And if the default skeleton produced by the IDE integration shows NOTHING about how to use ExtJS with ASP.NET, then the user experience can be best summed up as "Disappointing".

W

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your frustrations but all our IDE plugins create the same starting point for consistency. The plugins help you with Ext JS, not integrating Ext JS with a particular server language/framework. We do not support a certain server setup and using Visual Studio doesn't mean you are going to use C# ASP.NET or does using Eclipse mean you are going to use Java.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

That's clearly not true.

1. The ONE and ONLY type of template you get a choice of, in the Sencha folder is called "ExtJS And Web API".

2. It creates (by its own description) an empty project preloaded with ExtJS and WebAPI.

3. It does NOT (my complaint here) link the two in any way.

Perhaps I might go to the store and buy a hat, that advertises that my favorite NFL team is awesome. Imagine the hat comes in a plastic bag, with a team logo not attached. Attaching the two requires me to decide on a technical approach, and buy some equipment (a sewing machine)?.

Hope this feedback helps.

Warren

Vote Rating

Feedback is always welcomed!

Vote Rating
    tinawilliams722 is on a distinguished road

I also wanted a demo. a video demo perhaps

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by tinawilliams722 View Post
    I also wanted a demo. a video demo perhaps
    I'm working on my own little demo once I figure out how to do it.

Things that have to be decided:

1. Raw REST API or Ext DIRECT?

2. What to do about the ASP.NET tokens?

3. Authentication rules for the UI? Login?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    geek0r is a name known to all geek0r is a name known to all geek0r is a name known to all geek0r is a name known to all geek0r is a name known to all geek0r is a name known to all

I do not see the problem here. With ASP.Net Web Api you build your REST-Api. These "endpoints" are your Ext JS proxy-urls (if you're using the rest-proxy). Your API defines your Ext JS models ... and so on. I cannot see any ASP.Net related problems here ...

My stack only consists of Ext JS and ASP.Net Web Api. And I love it!

Vote Rating

Did you disable ASP.net token based authentication?

Sample of doing ASP.NET+Angular with token auth:

http://bitoftech.net/2014/06/01/toke...-net-identity/

Or did you just restrict origins and forget it?

W