Thread: How to import an Extjs general into an Architect project

Default Answered: How to import an Extjs general into an Architect project

Hi all,

I am looking for a feasible solution to import a project I developed using CMD v 6.1.1.76
    into a Sencha Architect project.

Is this achievable or not ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Regards,
    Claudia

2. Hi

If you have some code (components) created outside Architect and you want to use it in SA projects you can import it as User Extension http://docs.sencha.com/architect/3/e...xtensions.html
    http://docs.sencha.com/architect/3/e...xtensions.html

But the code is still not going to be manageable from inside the SA. Although your SA project will be able use these components. You can find more info in the linked guides.

Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Answers

There is not an option to import a project created with Cmd/Editor to can be read into SA3(Architect).

Since you are already maintaining a project outside of SA3, why would you want to import it? Although Architect has it's benefits, you may find yourself hitting walls that would not be there before. Perhaps use Architect as a designer and copy the code to your project.

If you want to use SA3 to maintain your project, it will have to be created using SA3.

Since our company wants to maintain all future projects on SA3 and
    I have some of our projects left outside SA3 then I was just looking to find a simple way to align all projects properly.
    Anyway since importing cannot be done I will find other ways as you mentioned.

Regards,
    claudia

Sencha User
    Answers

Hi

If you have some code (components) created outside Architect and you want to use it in SA projects you can import it as User Extension http://docs.sencha.com/architect/3/e...xtensions.html
    http://docs.sencha.com/architect/3/e...xtensions.html

But the code is still not going to be manageable from inside the SA. Although your SA project will be able use these components. You can find more info in the linked guides.

Thanks, everyone.
    Since I have some components created outside Architect which would be useful to integrate with some other SA projects
    I would use User extensions as suggested from Petr.

Regards,claudia

Sencha User
    Answers

I am new to Sencha extJS and Architect and I find this a very annoying policy on your part.
    Do you know how difficult it is for a beginner that all your tools are separate worlds?

It seems either one does extJS the hard way or you use Architect and there is no exchange between them.
    I because your Cmd tool generates a sample project, not even a blank starter project, as a beginner am am
    forced to fiddle with fiddle, yet another tool. All the intro-tutorials and the one or two extJS6 textbooks on Amazon
    start with fiddle and then don't say how to get to a 'real' project.I
    found can generate a blank project in Architect and then edit that
    as an extJS6 app in VS-Code but then I can't do anything further with it in Architect.

There is a big gulf between the getting-started docs and the examples.
    If we want to use one of the online examples, finding the code and making an app for them is difficult.
    I have found the Admin-Dashboard and the available code is not editable in architect. So back
    to doing things the hard way in VS-Code.

Given the grand scope of all your other efforts, SURELY having a facility in Architect to take an
    existing non-architect project and import it and make it fully editable is not rocket science.
    User extension are a start but not having the code be manageable inside Architect is a let-down.
    This request has been going back 4+ years in the blogs I can google. Surely you could consider
    it rather than dismissing it.
    Carl

Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Answers

I understand your frustration, and yes there is a bit of a curve with ExtJS, but we are not dismissing anything.

For any tool that generates code, it would be very difficult to have it read in code and interpret into SA objects and display them correctly. There are many code styles, options and just too many things to take into account. On the surface it may seem like it might be possible, but in reality it would be a daunting task.

Fiddle is a quick tool we use for showing quick examples, reporting bugs and trying things out. It is more of a support tool.
    The dashboards are a bit overwhelming to get started on as a beginner.

Yes Cmd creates a sample app and that can be built on. It would be rather easy to rip out the main view and add your own code.
    It also makes it easy to build the final app when you are ready to distribute.

Some users start in SA and soon outgrow it. Others will stay within the walls. As with any code generator, there will be limits.

There are several ways you can use SA. You could use it as a designer to learn how to create views, and copy the code over to your preferred editor or use it to generate full apps. You can decide to use it either way.

Instead of trying to take in all the information and figure out what you want to do, perhaps you can define a small project that you would like to accomplish in ExtJS, a few views, data driven ( local or remote data, eg: PHP backend ) and go from there. It is much easier to get assistance when you know what exactly you want help with instead of just trying to figure out how to get a bunch of snippet examples into a project.

For example, since your mentioned books, here is a example project for an app: ( generated with Cmd, not SA )
    https://github.com/loiane/masteringextjs

Another using local storage for data so you do not have to deal with the backend right away:
    https://github.com/loiane/extjs6-exa...d-localstorage

As mentioned, it is better to have a direction for a small project and we can help along the way with specific questions.

Regards,
    Scott.

Sencha User
    Answers

Thank you Scott.
    Because the SA tool appears to be so 'congruent' with the extJS architecture and objects, I thought it might
    be more possible but I suppose your firm has examined it. Too bad it was not a more one-to-one editor
    rather than a forward-only self-contained designer as you say.
    I guess I will slog through the framework the hard way and try copying and pasting code generated from
    sample projects.
    Thanks for the links to the example projects.
    All but one textbook on amazon refers to extJS5 and earlier and I want to use the Modern toolkit.
    It's perhaps better than starting with spaghetti JS from scratch but it's not trivial, even when I have used Angular 1
    and been exposed to other frameworks.
    No need to reply. Onwards.

Thanks.
    Carl