Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type validation in ExtJS

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Default Type validation in ExtJS

I understand that usage of TypeScript in ExtJS have some major challenges, but now Babel have introduced their type system - Flow.js thats very easier to start with and support converting one file at a time.

We at our end have been successful to implement type checks of our ExtJS source leaving the ExtJS library as is. The problem however is development workflow.

for many things such as JS linting, Code Styling, and now type checking we have to go back to ANT scripts and call babel, the output of babel then becomes the input to Sencha CMD.

There are many things that overlaps between Babel and Ant+Sencha, and Babel is clearly much ahead of Ant+Sencha.

There was some Seacha Rodeshow where they discussed about ES6 support in future, Is sencha thinking of integrating Sencha Cmd with Babel instead of Ant and thereby offload some of its responsibility to Babel. In my opinion babel is being developed more faster and can bring in some greater good to the ExtJS community. But then Sencha may want to be a monolithic framework and tries hard to create vendor lock in...any thoughts ?

Sencha - Sr Software Engineer mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Ant isn't exactly the same as Babel. What our future plans are, in actual details, are not being released yet but for the foreseeable future Ant is still going to be used. Ant is more like grunt or gulp than it is to Babel.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Software Engineer

Check out my GitHub, lots of nice things for Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch 2
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Sure Ant is like Gulp, but my point is to provide a Babel based JS transform pipeline, at present it is done with Sencha Cmd (minification, Rhino based syntax check, CSS pre-processing, bootstraping etc) and driving this transpiling process is Ant Script

Instead if Babel is used for transpiling many other goodies comes for free. Gulp do have some nice ways to create this build pipeline

But thanks for the answer ... Ant is going to be the build tool for the foreseeable future.
    You must be having good reasons for that but at the moment we are having a little hard-time to integrate babel with the Sencha/Ant hooks in the build process.

For now we ended up having our main source in an isolated folder (this includes type declarations inside the source) which is then processed by Gulp/Babel to strip out the type defs, and generate a ExtJS source without types. After this process ends then we manually start Sencha Cmd build process. (just doing it as a POC with very few source files).

I am sure there must be a better way to drive this whole thing with ant, babel and sencha cmd. an example or a blog on how to achieve this using Ant will really be great article

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

It would be nice if they provide typescript's typing definition for ExtJS. They already have typing auto-complete available on IDE's like webstorm / eclipse. Just need to convert that into extjs.d.ts . That would definitely be nice.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    It would be nice if they provide typescript's typing definition for ExtJS. They already have typing auto-complete available on IDE's like webstorm / eclipse. Just need to convert that into extjs.d.ts . That would definitely be nice.
    Please go to find ExtTS - Premium TypeScript type definitions for Sencha Ext JS
    https://github.com/thanhptr/extts
    Every latest version of ExtJS 4.x, 5.x, 6.x is supported; currently latest version is 6.0.2.437.
    Everything you can find from ExtJS API document is in the type definitions with strongly-typed support (such as: Ext.dom.Element, ButtonConfig,..)

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Wow! I haven't tested but if those are what I think it is then you'll be a hero to many.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    Wow! I haven't tested but if those are what I think it is then you'll be a hero to many.
    Thanks & Hope this helpfull!

I'm very appreciate for any help & feedback!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by thanhptr View Post
    Thanks & Hope this helpfull!

I'm very appreciate for any help & feedback!
    I see what you did. You actually created a TypeScript class. Can you convert this into Interface? This way I can reference the d.ts file inside my JavaScript.

If you take a look at jquery.d.ts
    https://github.com/DefinitelyTyped/D...ry/jquery.d.ts

It's all defined as interface

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

The idea of reference d.ts from JS is really new to me, it sounds interesting.

Cos i like pure TS develoment similar to what i have done with many of apps in purly C# while develipng Ext by using SharpKit.NET.

Anyways, let wait. Im going to add another version of Interface for that reason.

Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

@thanhptr
    Awesome work! Always wished someone would create full TS definitions for the latest version of ExtJS. Thank you very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast