Thread: Performance of sencha app watch disappointedly slow

Default Performance of sencha app watch disappointedly slow

I have a relatively small app that takes about 15 seconds to rebuild on JavaScript changes on my relatively new top end MacBook Pro 15. When I run the same "sencha app watch" on a high end 6 core desktop with a super fast ssd (twice as fast as MacBook ssd, core i7 4x the speed of MacBook). Perfect only improves a little (2 seconds faster).

Is this expected?

**UPDATE 4/17/2016
    Unfortunately I've found if I turn css gen off bad things happen so I want to leave it on which means I need an answer to this. I've just discovered that when I run the same SENCHA APP WATCH on my macbook (OSX) vs windows it takes just one second. I've pasted the output below. Something is very broken in windows!

OSX:
    Application available at http://localhost:1841
    [INF] Appending content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/bootstrap.js
    [INF] Writing content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/classic.json
    [INF] Application available at http://localhost:1841
    [INF] Waiting for changes...
    [INF] Detected change to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/app/view/main/Main.js
    [INF] -----------------------
    [INF] Appending content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/bootstrap.js
    [INF] Writing content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/classic.json
    [INF] merging 223 input resources into /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/development/SvccReg/classic/resources
    [INF] merged 0 resources into /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/development/SvccReg/classic/resources
    [INF] merging 18 input resources into /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/development/SvccReg
    [INF] merged 0 resources into /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/development/SvccReg
    [INF] Writing content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/sass/example/bootstrap.json
    [INF] Writing content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/sass/example/bootstrap.js
    [INF] writing sass content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/temp/development/SvccReg/sass/SvccReg-all.scss.tmp
    [INF] appending sass content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/temp/development/SvccReg/sass/SvccReg-all.scss.tmp
    [INF] appending sass content to /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/temp/development/SvccReg/sass/SvccReg-all.scss.tmp
    [INF] Using base href : /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/development/SvccReg/classic/resources/
    [INF] Using base href : /Users/PeterKellner 1/Documents/bitbucket/svcccss/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsMac/SvccReg/build/development/SvccReg/classic/resources/
    [INF] Build complete for ../../build/temp/development/SvccReg/sass/SvccReg-all.scss
    [INF] Building ../../build/temp/development/SvccReg/sass/SvccReg-all.scss
    [INF] Refresh complete in 1 sec. at 12:32:35 PM

WINDOWS 10
    INF] Detected change to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\app\view\main\Register.js
    [INF] Detected change to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\app\view\main\Register.js
    [INF] Detected change to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\app\view\main\Register.js
    [WRN] C1000: Rhino Parse Warning (Trailing comma is not legal in an ECMA-262 object initializer => ]) -- C:\VCProject\SV
    CodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\app\view\main\Register.js:110:13
    [INF] Appending content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\bootstrap.js
    [INF] Writing content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\classic.json
    [INF] merging 223 input resources into C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\build\development\SvccReg\classic\resources
    [INF] merged 0 resources into C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\build\development\SvccReg\classic\resources
    [INF] merging 18 input resources into C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\build\development\SvccReg
    [INF] merged 0 resources into C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\build\development\SvccReg
    [INF] Writing content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\sass\example\bootstrap.json
    [INF] Writing content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\sass\example\bootstrap.js
    [INF] writing sass content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\build\temp\development\SvccReg\sass\SvccReg-all.scss.tmp

[INF] appending sass content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\build\temp\development\SvccReg\sass\SvccReg-all.scss.t
    mp
    [INF] appending sass content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\build\temp\development\SvccReg\sass\SvccReg-all.scss.t
    mp
    [LOG] Building C:/VCProject/SVCodeCampWeb/WebAPI/ExtJSAppsWs/build/temp/development/SvccReg/sass/SvccReg-all.scss
    [INF] Appending content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\bootstrap.js
    [INF] Writing content to C:\VCProject\SVCodeCampWeb\WebAPI\ExtJSAppsWs\apps\SvccReg\classic.json
    [INF] Refresh complete in 13 sec. at 12:38:24 PM
    Last edited by pkellner; 17 Apr 2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added perf info about win vs osx

I just found this which made a big difference. Is the new fashion causing this perf issue? https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthr...e-sass-cssThis makes it one second now.

Sencha User

With which specific versions of Cmd and Ext JS are you seeing this? Does it help any if you resolve the trailing comma errors?

no difference in speed on windows with all warnings out. I'm not at my windows computer but I'm sure as of 2 days ago it was the latest downloaded by "sencha upgrade".

Forgot the ExtJS version . 6.02 (latest on both windows and mac. Not beta's, just production releases from the portal.

Curios if anyone else has noticed such a huge performance impact. If not, I have to assume no one is running it on windows but me.

Sencha Premium Member

You're not alone! If find Sencha Cmd to be very slow! Even on fast computers with ssd. Java?!

Sencha Premium Member

Any news on this? I find Sencha Cmd (using 6.2.1) to be slow... A greater execution time would be much of a benefit!

I also find this problem - my app takes 19 seconds to build. Turning off sass (skip.sass=true) takes it down to 1 second. But I do need to make changes to my sass files sometimes!

I'm on Windows 10, ExtJS 6.2.2.372, Cmd 6.2.2.36

Sencha Premium Member

I too am having this same issue. What file can sass be turned off from?