Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: feedback - no tabs?

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Not saying the old docs are the gold standard of performance, just that there are some challenges in the new docs due to the decision to move away from an SPA.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    ...there is a lag that wouldn't be there if done today especially with a doxi parser that could create a structure that Ext JS would want natively.
    Now we're talking That would be epic and I hope to see it someday!

Sencha Premium Member

Default API Docs - GIVE ME BACK TABS

Where are my tabs? Why did you take away the option for tabs? I love being able to quickly switch to or keep open the items I need to go back and forth or reference the most.

PLEASE GIVE ME BACK MY TABS!!!!

Answers

Default Tabs are essential

The tabs absolutely have to come back. When you're working with disparate parts of the system (e.g. bouncing between the documentation for a grid panel, a column, and the Table View), the sidebar is insanely inefficient (not least because the tree folders close when you go to a new page).

Using a local copy helps a lot, but it's still nuts. Using browser tabs is a very poor alternative.

Yes, we can use the JSDuck-generated version locally, but then we need to put up with "incorrect documentation"

Sencha User
    Answers

As I mentioned in another thread, I have created this page for folks to download JS Duck up until 6.0.2. Those downloads won't be updated and we won't be adding to the list, but they're there if you want them.

http://docs.sencha.com/misc/guides/offline_docs.html

We'll consider tabs in future iterations of the software.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Greg

Sencha Premium User jvandemerwe's Avatar
    Answers

Default The tabs are really missing here

First of all I like the new style, but the JSDuck style was also fine to me. But the tabs that are missing is just bad. I have usually quite some tabs open in the API documentation.

Simply when I have the Ext.panel.Panel open and I want to have a quick look at the Tree component, I don't want the Panel to close, because I want to go back to that after looking at the Tree.

Every IDE has a tabs feature where you can have more than 1 source open, so why did Sencha think that this would be different when you use the API documentation. Seems that something was fixed that wasn't broken....

And I am absolutely against having the tabs opened in the browser, because there I have also many tabs open.

So, give me back my tabs.....

Sencha Premium User jvandemerwe's Avatar
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    @vadimv

Let me comment on these two things separately:
    1. In-page content tabs
    2. Return to JSDuck (as a means to achieve #1).
    We are considering #1 and expected there to be interest in that, but it will have to be an "also does" kind of thing.
    Well take a yellow marker and make sure that #1 is marked and gets a high priority and doesn't stay with just considering it.

Sencha Premium User

+1 for the doc tabs too! As soon as I checked out the new docs, I also felt like it was a step backwards too and didn't make much sense at all. But I guess due to the drift between jsDuck and Ext it was probably easier to not use jsDuck anymore.All together though, I don't think it's specifically the lack of Ext being used, it's just the lack of tabs! Definitely need to get tabs back in there

Answers

Lately I've been seeing History Bar in the docs, so that's an alternative solution to the tabs, imo it's ok, thanks Sencha for quick reaction.
    Github https://github.com/vadimpopa
    Blogging @ : http://vadimpopa.com
    Twitter: @vadimvpopa

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

I still like some aspects of the old docs better and believe that a well written single page application would provide a better user experience than several distinct pages.

That being said, the history bar does make the new docs much more usable and I appreciate the quick turnaround on this and the other enhancements in this release.

Sencha Premium User

How I can generate old-style documentation(fast and with tabs)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast