Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the new documentor be available for our own apps?

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Default Answered: Will the new documentor be available for our own apps?

Will it be made available to document our own apps as JSDuck was?

2. MikeRH,

I'd love for the new docs software to be utilized by the community. That said, it's not currently set up to be shared outside of Sencha yet. We'll have to have some internal dialogue about the best way to potentially distribute this for other developers to use.

Thanks!
    Greg

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

MikeRH,

I'd love for the new docs software to be utilized by the community. That said, it's not currently set up to be shared outside of Sencha yet. We'll have to have some internal dialogue about the best way to potentially distribute this for other developers to use.

Thanks!
    Greg

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

FYI, our new docs system is actually a two part system. The first part is called Doxi, and it's a source parser that rips through code and exports JSON files. That is available to anyone with a recent version of Cmd. The second part is a node processor that iterates through the JSON to output HTML. I believe the Doxi JSON can probably be consumed by any number of tools, application, or parser.

Thanks!
    Greg

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Greg, thanks for the explanation so far. Can you provide some details about the tooling? Is "doxi" a tool written by Sencha? Or is it an open source tool? And how can doxi be accessed through the new Sencha CMD cli? Previously with jsduck it was possible to extract and essentially re-build the Sencha Ext JS documentation by running something like

Code:
    jsduck ext/classic/classic/src --output docs
    So with the new documentation generator, how can we generate the underlying JSON files? I understand that the transformation tooling that allows to translate the JSON into HTML is not published yet, but can doxi already be used in such a way?

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Great questions!

Doxi is a Sencha created tool that can be accessed via the Sencha Cmd CLI.

You can generate docs by issuing the following command:

PHP Code:
    sencha doxi build 
    This command will expect to find a "project.doxi.json" file in the directory from which it's run. This file looks like a mix between the JSDuck config file and a Cmd generated application build profile. You can also include build targets in your CLI issuance if you want to have multiple build profiles within your project.doxi.json file. For instance:

PHP Code:
    sencha doxi build all-classes 
    You can specify different attributes for different profiles regarding:
    • Output location
    • Input location
    • Flattening (inheritance included)
    • Include Src
    • Auto Linking
    • Etc.
    This is an experimental part of Sencha Cmd, so there's not a lot of documentation, but I will share our "project.doxi.json" file for Ext JS 6.0.2, so you can get an idea of how to set things are set up.

project.doxi.json.zip

Thanks!
    Greg

Answers
    Vote Rating

Question

Quote Originally Posted by greg.barry View Post
    I believe the Doxi JSON can probably be consumed by any number of tools, application, or parser.
    So... care to publish the generated JSON files as well as the generated HTML?

It doesn't strike me as particularly difficult to write an ExtJS application that provides the tabbed-documentation experience the old docs gave us; if the generated JSON was available, I'm sure someone in the community would give it a go.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

In the comment before yours, I gave instructions on how to generate the JSON files using Doxi, including the config file we use.

https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthr...=1#post1137925

Let me know if anything is unclear and I'll try to walk through it further.

Thanks!
    Greg

Answers
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by greg.barry View Post
    MikeRH,

Thanks!
    Greg
    I'm looking forward to this being available.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

What is the current situation now - eight months later ?

Perhaps it would be nice to have a simple configuration file to create a documentation for an ExtJS application following the standard folder structure ? That woulld be really helpful.

Marten

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Our first pass at our documentation software was rushed, and we created it with node, which we didn't have a lot of experience with. It was slow, unstable, and very very tied to our personal CI needs. We realized it wasn't going to be helpful for our users without some major modifications. (we as in the documentation team, not all of Sencha)

A couple months ago, we moved forward with our efforts to rebuild the doc processor with other users in mind. In this rebuild, we implemented multi-threading, smarter processing, fewer dependencies, a cleaner architecture so that users could modify and override as needed, etc. We are very happy with the results.

We are currently QA'ing the output for ExtReact and Ext JS 6.5. Once we're happy with the results, we'll rebuild all of our documentation with the new tool. At that point, we'll likely be ready to share the tool.

We really just want to be confident in the software before we release it.

Thanks!
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast