Thread: Looking for the best book to learn Ext JS 6

Sencha Premium User

Default Looking for the best book to learn Ext JS 6

I'm looking for recommendations for the what most people think is currently the best book on the market (or tutorial site) for learning Ext JS 6 - Classic.

Thanks so much in advance,

Philip

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

I don't think there is much out there on 6.x. There are a few decent books out there on 4.x/5.x but nothing that goes too in-depth. I have found the best resource is the API docs and examples. Are you just needing help getting up and running? Or looking to go deep?

If you are adamant about using a book this one is probably a good start. https://www.amazon.com/Sencha-Ext-JS...keywords=extjs

Sencha Premium User

Well, I guess a little of both.

I'm working for a company that has been using an older version (4.2.2) and I've been asked to upgrade our company's version to 6.2. I've never used Ext JS before this job, although I'm a JS developer, most of experience was with jQuery and Angular, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around some of their core concepts such as their MVC model. It seems to be different then most MVC's i've used.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Going from 4.x to 6.2 is a big jump and it's not going to be as simple as replacing the framework. The documentation has upgrade guides that show the differences so you would need to see what changes there were in each major revision up to 6.2. Also the design paradigm is different in 6.2. You can stick with the MVC method as you could in 4.2 or you can take the new route of using view models and view controllers. I have been converting all my apps to this as it makes the code much more clean and modular.

Have you looked at the architecture guide in the docs? https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.2.0/...hitecture.html

Sencha Premium User

Thanks for the link. This over view will be helpful.

I've been wondering about the differences between MVC and MVVM so this will be a good place to start.