Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: License Change?

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thumbs up huh

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    http://backbase.com

they are the only true competitor IMHO. two + years ago, they were $1K for developer's license. They require registration to even READ THE LICENSE (wtf?!).
    http://bdn.backbase.com/community-license

Quote Originally Posted by majorpay View Post
    Retro-actively, the license didn't change. Anyone using the 2.02* and below aren't subject to the license, so this has no change to anyone who decided to use this framework before.
    Except that Jack has stated that the LPGL License used in 2.0.2 was questionable in it's design and may not have been valid. This was one of the driving factors behind the license change if I understand it correctly. I personally wouldn't rely on a questionable license. It might not hold up under scrutiny (e.g. the courts.)

Sencha User jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating

i am not interested in the community license though.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Lightbulb Choices

An interesting read: http://stephan.reposita.org/archives...mmunity-style/ - "John Resig on ExtJS, the GPL fiasco and open source community style", Stephan Schmidt, 2008-24-28

I think Jack Slocum posted a longer response there than all of his words combined in this entire thread!

Everyone here has a choice. Accept the terms under which Ext JS is being offered (if anyone can successfully decipher them), or move to a different solution.

For what it's worth, I'm ditching ExtJS in favor of the The Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI). Not because of the GPL, but because of the "GPL" being defined here.

Beyond the licensing fiasco, YUI seems to do everything that ExtJS does, and a lot more!
    - 90+ widgets
    - Capable event listeners / event management (one of the main reasons I had liked Ext JS so much).
    - Official & structured bug / feature request / patches trackers on SourceForge. Certainly easier to keep track of things there than on this forum.
    - BSD licensed.
    - No forum threads restricted to premium/paying members.
    - Commitment to make the SVN repository publicly available.
    - 275+ comprehensive, official examples.
    - YUI Loader Utility to automatically load only the necessary parts of the library, automatically handling dependencies and load ordering.
    - Fixes / inclusions of many of the bugs / enhancement requests reported here against Ext JS without action.

I was using Ext JS only for 2-3 odd bits of functionality I found in it almost a year ago. I didn't see them in YUI at the time, either because they've since been added, or that I just missed them the first time around (more likely).

YUI isn't the only alternative out there. The Dojo Toolkit is one other that I've been considering.

I feel like this post is unfinished - but I can't wait to start migrating my application to YUI!

Vote Rating

Enjoy YUI.

I (along with my clients and customers) will continue to ride the Ext train as it rockets into the stratosphere.

Vote Rating

So long, good luck.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I'm rather new to Ext JS. What I have found is an amazing community using Ext regardless of the license. I also get the impression that Jack wants Ext used by everyone, but he needs to protect the code base, put food on the table, and pay employees as well. I've monitored the number of new memberships to the forums. In the past week close to 1K new members. (I'm one of them) So Ext is growing, and pretty fast!

Vote Rating

It's nice for new members to see the value of the product and it's excellent community.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by christocracy View Post
    I'm sorry, Mykes, I didn't completely digest your message until I saw Majorplay's response.

Do you think Ext would be so economically nihilistic?

What would you do if you were ExtJS and vBulletin approached you with a million-selling product?

Would you say "nuh-uh, bitches! pay up or we release the hounds!"

or might you be more creative and nurturing?
    I am not on the hating bandwagon here, but I do have to point out that vBulletin didn't start off as a million-selling product, and what matters is the choice at conception. Once the product is out there, it tends to remain with its chosen framework unless there is a compelling argument to rewrite the product.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur.Blake View Post
    Except that Jack has stated that the LPGL License used in 2.0.2 was questionable in it's design and may not have been valid. This was one of the driving factors behind the license change if I understand it correctly. I personally wouldn't rely on a questionable license. It might not hold up under scrutiny (e.g. the courts.)
    I wasn't aware of his statement... I think that it is a very risky situation (I don't think I'd be quick to jump on that train); however, I do think that for anyone who was handed that license, it would be impossible in court for ExtJS to use the argument: "I changed my mind after deployment."

--Arthur Blake... don't you have some popular articles out there? I swear I have read your blogs before... ASP.NET?

Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast