Thread: Sencha CMD watch not waiting for new compiled SASS to be built, instead deliver old

Default Sencha CMD watch not waiting for new compiled SASS to be built, instead deliver old

When Sencha watch is starting a build and while the build is not finish the browser is asking for resources like the css, Sencha watch should be waiting, it's currently not waiting for the css, but it seems it's waiting for the javascript.

In other words, I modify sass save (in ide), switch to by browser, click refresh, and modifications doesn't shows-up. It's wrong. The idea of sencha watch is to have an integrated/smart solution, if it cannot wait the build finish, it's certainly not smart.

Sencha - Engineering israelroldan's Avatar

The requests you make to the browser are independent of what's going on behind the scenes. The watch command watches for changes at the filesystem level and triggers a rebuild when detected but it doesn't block or queue requests to the web server to have them wait until that particular rebuild is ready.

I do see the potential for a feature request here, to enable something like https://github.com/davidB/livereload-jvm to have the browser optionally auto-reload when that build is ready, which is really common with javascript-based build tools (gulp, grunt).
    Israel Roldán | Senior Software Engineer (Framework tools)

Ok, you are telling me that we actually never wait for anything during sencha watch, so even if sencha watch is currently rebuilding a js file, or a css file, and it receive a request to provide, it will not wait but provide the oldest version, ok... from there, I would like that we improve that.

Your 'auto-reload' idea is way more complicated than mine. I'm just asking that when sencha watch detect changes, it stop responding to request, finish it's work, then resume responding. Super simple, and will solve couple of issues:

1- Developer save in IDE, jump to browser, and click F5 (refresh), developer want to avoid to go tosencha watch windows to wait/read the console to know when clicking F5.
    2- sencha watch provide new JS file to browser, but didn't finish building css, so provide old Css which doesn't match the new js file provided, so application crash, and the developer is confused and waste time.
    3- Developer update sass, refresh browser, doesn't see it's change, not sure if it's change was wrong, or the tooling (sencha cmd) is not doing the right thing ;-)

Sencha - Engineering israelroldan's Avatar

I completely understand what you mean.
    As much as I'd love to, I can't say I haven't been through that myself!

As you probably know, we use Jetty as an embedded server, I'll make sure to check what options it gives us to implement something like this. I can't promise anything, but if this proves to be achievable with some tweaks to the jetty config, I'll try to squeeze it into 6.5 GA. But don't quote me on that.

Otherwise, I guess 7.x (or whatever comes after 6.5) may be a good bump in version to explore something like live reload.
    Israel Roldán | Senior Software Engineer (Framework tools)