Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses Sencha Architect exclusively?

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    I probably won't get the chance to find out. Yesterday I was told that the technologies being selected for us in the larger organisational restructure will be Angular and Ruby on Heroku
    Sorry to heard that. Granted that most of the time writing code "by hand" is quicker for highly experienced devs but definitely the use of SA promotes and enforces best practices - something which is hard to enforce with hand crafted code.

Do you know if you will use some widget library?

I suggest you to look to DevExtreme: is not as complete as ExtJS but plays nicely with Angular -I just finished an app with it- so you don't have to reinvent the "wheels": grids, data package, forms, pivots, etc.

Regards!
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

BTW all my ExtJS app except one have been developed with SA.

Regards!
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by ssamayoa View Post
    Sorry to heard that. Granted that most of the time writing code "by hand" is quicker for highly experienced devs but definitely the use of SA promotes and enforces best practices - something which is hard to enforce with hand crafted code.
    I would not want to write all of my system UI code by hand, and I'd consider myself an experienced dev. It would take me at least 25% more time to get the job done if I had to type it all myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ssamayoa View Post
    Do you know if you will use some widget library?
    At the moment I'm seeing a bit of talk about these "widget" libraries (they're not as feature rich as what I've grown accustomed to with Ext JS, sadly):

https://material.io/guidelines/mater...roduction.html
    https://www.webcomponents.org/

My preference for a mature javascript widget library (Ext JS, jQWidgets, Kendo UI, Webix, etc) is not being well received, alas. But even if they chose one, I'm sorry to say that Ext JS would not get a look-in due to the price alone. It would probably be jQWidgets, which I'd prefer over web components any day.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

My preference for a mature javascript widget library (Ext JS, jQWidgets, Kendo UI, Webix, etc) is not being well received, alas.
    Perhaps too young and/or too hard core devs?

Those who suffer from "non invented here" syndrome?

But even if they chose one, I'm sorry to say that Ext JS would not get a look-in due to the price alone.
    Yep - I just checked jQWidgets license price and is very cheap compared with ExtJS standard.

It would probably be jQWidgets, which I'd prefer over web components any day.
    jQWidgets looks good enough.
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

Sencha Premium User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Disregarding price (some of us simply don't have to worry about that), I'd be interested to see how far I could get developing an enterprise application exclusively within Sencha Architect.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by niallobrien View Post
    Disregarding price (some of us simply don't have to worry about that), I'd be interested to see how far I could get developing an enterprise application exclusively within Sencha Architect.

I'd say you could get pretty damn far, once you start learning how to work around certain things. It's only getting better and more seamless with each release. As someone who's been using architect since ext 4.x we've been able to sustain and stay up with the latest releases of ExtJS.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

I probably won't get the chance to find out. Yesterday I was told that the technologies being selected for us in the larger organisational restructure will be Angular and Ruby on Heroku (none of which I've so much as even looked at before, so I'll be busy having to re-learn everything over the next 12 months or so). My single license of Premium will probably be renewed for the short to medium term, at least until the dozen things I've written with it over the years are retired or replaced by something else.
    Is AngularJS used within Google?

In practice, however, many find Angular application hard to maintain and refactor over time (The article "I won't be using Angular for my next project...and neither should you" echoes my and colleagues experiences with it), and performance is low on it's list of priorities. I would say that it's good sense by Google not to use it all that much.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

AngularJS and other technologies were the flavour of the month back then when I posted that, and whilst it may still be used in some parts of the client UI, it now seems that I'll be spending most of my time with Liferay and Java

Sencha Premium User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

AngularJS and other technologies were the flavour of the month back then when I posted that, and whilst it may still be used in some parts of the client UI, it now seems that I'll be spending most of my time with Liferay and Java

I don't personally do it, but it's not that hard to mix and match... IMO - All that matters especially with the FOTM is that you use something that is supported and will continue to be, with ExtJS being a premium product with tons of developers and paying users, that's not something you have to worry about.

good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12