Thread: multiple instances of Architect 4.1 question

Sencha Premium Member

Default multiple instances of Architect 4.1 question

One of features mentioned for SA 4.1 is, you can now run multiple instances of Architect on your computer.

What does this mean,
    Does it mean multiple instances of Architect 4.1 ? or multiple instances of different version of Architect i.e 3.5, 4.0 with 4.1 ?

I am currently using SA 4.1.1 build 123 on an iMac with OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6.

Sencha Premium User

@reg.phipps

on Windows you can start SA many times. I just use the SA 4.1.1 and SA 4.0.2 simultan. I think it is also possible on OSX.

~Boris

Sencha User
    Answers

You can start multiple versions of the same SA installation for example 3x SA 4.1.1 or as Boris mentioned you can run SA 4.1, 4.0 etc
    This applies only for SA 4.0+

SA 3.x can be run only 1x , so you can run only 1x SA 3.5 but you can simultaneously to it run 3x SA 4.1

I hope this is not confusing

Regards
    Petr

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by petr.vecera View Post
    You can start multiple versions of the same SA installation for example 3x SA 4.1.1 or as Boris mentioned you can run SA 4.1, 4.0 etc
    This applies only for SA 4.0+

SA 3.x can be run only 1x , so you can run only 1x SA 3.5 but you can simultaneously to it run 3x SA 4.1

Regards
    Petr
    Thanks Petr,

How do I run multiple instances of SA 4.1 ? I have started an instance of SA 4.1 using the icon on my iMac task bar and then selected a project from the splash screen. When I select the icon again it simply transfers focus back to the the previously selected project. It does not start the splash screen where I can select another project. What am I doing wrong? Is there something I need to configure ?

Regards
    Reg

Sencha User
    Answers

Hi

That is default behavior of apps on OS X.

You have to open terminal and write open -n -a "SenchaArchitect" it works for me on macOS Sierra

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-ope...ation-in-os-x/

Regards
    Petr

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

I always be able to run more than one instance of SA 3.x so yes, is confusing.
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ssamayoa View Post
    I always be able to run more than one instance of SA 3.x so yes, is confusing.
    SA 3.x is using same port for communication with Sencha Cmd also Sencha Cmd is set to use the same port for app watch.

So when you start second instance of SA 3.x it will kill the Cmd service from the first instance and starts it's own, app watch in the first app will no longer works. Also the app watch was set to use the same port, so it collided or used different port than set etc... It also depends on the version of Sencha Cmd you are using with SA.

TLDR: With 3.x you may have problems with Sencha Cmd when starting multiple instances.

Anyway from SA 4.x random port for both Sencha Cmd service and Sencha app watch is used so it no longer collides when you start SA multiple times. This also fixes the issue when SA 3.x often complained that the port 1842 is already taken.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

SA 3.x is using same port for communication with Sencha Cmd also Sencha Cmd is set to use the same port for app watch.

So when you start second instance of SA 3.x it will kill the Cmd service from the first instance and starts it's own, app watch in the first app will no longer works. Also the app watch was set to use the same port, so it collided or used different port than set etc... It also depends on the version of Sencha Cmd you are using with SA.

TLDR: With 3.x you may have problems with Sencha Cmd when starting multiple instances.

Anyway from SA 4.x random port for both Sencha Cmd service and Sencha app watch is used so it no longer collides when you start SA multiple times. This also fixes the issue when SA 3.x often complained that the port 1842 is already taken.
    Oh!

I understand now what you mean.
    It doesn't bother me because I normally publish the app to eclipse or VS project's without compiling.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium Member

Thanks Petr,

For the heads up and the link. I did a quick check by using the command to start SA from a terminal and it appears to do what I wanted. I wanted to be able to open more than one Project in SA so I can look at the code to handle something in one project and replicate it in another project if I want it to do the same. Again thanks for the great help, you're a star.