Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: State Management

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by vadimv View Post
    Hmm, need to take a look on DeftJS, heard about it, but never used.

Btw regarding Redux vs Mobx you should watch the first preso from react conf 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8HXkEnA48g

Here's another good video comparing MobX and Redux from the same conference.

The presenter claims Redux is more suitable for larger apps, but then interestingly the Redux learning curve becomes exponential whereas Mobx has a linear learning curve.

Preethi Kasireddy - MobX vs Redux: Comparing the Opposing Paradigms - React Conf 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76FRrbY18Bs

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Here's another good video comparing MobX and Redux from the same conference.

The presenter claims Redux is more suitable for larger apps, then then interestingly the Redux learning curve becomes exponential whereas Mobx has a linear learning curve.

Preethi Kasireddy - MobX vs Redux: Comparing the Opposing Paradigms - React Conf 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76FRrbY18Bs
    yes, that's the one I was talking about in the previous comment, good preso.
    Github https://github.com/vadimpopa
    Blogging @ : http://vadimpopa.com
    Twitter: @vadimvpopa

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Can you elaborate on this at all please? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    You also don't know what "modern development environment" we are working on

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

I'm not sure what you mean by "windows", but generally speaking, components are created & destroyed as needed as opposed to how ExtJS seems to handle this. But yes, the entire app state is maintained within a global singleton store, in fact, it's enforced - which is a much better approach in my opinion, because if you give people enough rope to hang themselves with...

With Redux, it's more or less a global singleton store of state so each component goes to it to get state so that one window wouldn't know about another window, it just goes to the global state store? Just trying to get a full grasp here as the top level VM would be like this.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Any further ideas on how to best manage state within large ExtJS applications? I feel that while there's many ways of accomplishing this, perhaps some official best-practices or guidance would be ideal.

Sencha - Sr Software Engineer mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by niallobrien View Post
    Can you elaborate on this at all please? Thanks in advance.
    For this, I can only point to what we have public atm like Don's SenchaCon session titled "Ext JS and ES2015/6/7 - Modernizing the Ext JS Class System". This is like Ext JS 7 stuff.

Ross Gerbasi also showed some modern tooling in his SenchaCon session titled "The Modern Toolchain".

I can also say, since we are working on a React bridge (and an Angular one after the React bridge is officially released) we are working with node modules and webpack and Cmd. We will have announcements in the coming weeks with the React bridge launching that will be bringing lot of this to light, at the moment mid May is the release target.

As for Ext JS right now, we have been extremely heads down on 6.5 where we are rewriting lot of it and adding lots of new features both to have better modern toolkit feature parity with classic but also bring lots of new things for modern toolkit that classic doesn't even have. We are very close to a beta release for 6.5 with GA not far off that.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Software Engineer

Check out my GitHub, lots of nice things for Ext JS and Sencha Touch
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

As for Ext JS right now, we have been extremely heads down on 6.5 where we are rewriting lot of it and adding lots of new features both to have better modern toolkit feature parity with classic but also bring lots of new things for modern toolkit that classic doesn't even have. We are very close to a beta release for 6.5 with GA not far off that.
    Release 6.5 is supposed to achieve feature parity between the classic and modern toolkits. I have a classic 6.0 desktop application which is accessed by users using only the Chrome browser.

Does it make sense for me to switch to the modern toolkit? In general, are there any performance (or any other) advantages when using the modern toolkit?

Sencha - Sr Software Engineer mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Release 6.5 is supposed to achieve feature parity between the classic and modern toolkits. I have a classic 6.0 desktop application which is accessed by users using only the Chrome browser.

Does it make sense for me to switch to the modern toolkit? In general, are there any performance (or any other) advantages when using the modern toolkit?
    While I personally haven't created an apples-to-apples comparison app between the two toolkits, high level thinking says modern should have better performance as we don't have to have legacy things. For example, Sencha Touch's largely CSS based layouts were brought over into modern toolkit and we have made further improvements in the 6.5 modern toolkit. This removes the JavaScript calculations and such classic toolkit has to do and relies on CSS much more which should have inherit performance gains.

Another example is we have completely rewritten the DataView/List/Grid in modern toolkit for 6.5. Working through some issues no doubt from a rewrite but the grid should be faster thanks to better management. One thing I still notice is if you have man columns, the same performance degradation you can experience with classic toolkit is still there; the buffered renderer is only vertical still.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Software Engineer

Check out my GitHub, lots of nice things for Ext JS and Sencha Touch
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Sounds awesome, this will be a nice way to get node.js tooling into the enterprise too. I'm assuming we'll be able to plug in other goodies such as ESlint etc.?

I guess in terms of state management, a lot of us would really like to see a Redux implementation for ExtJS (including Redux middleware such as Thunk etc.) or failing that, a more defined approach to managing state in a large application as at the moment, it's simply far too easy to create a spaghetti code-base without a clear and concise, best practice approach (viewModels, getters/setters, faking immutability, event bus, two-way data-binding etc.) It's all a bit of a mess with far too many ways for developers to hang themselves. The Inspector tool is a major let-down imo compared to a solid browser extension (have you seen state time-travel with Redux? Amazing.)

So while React integration is nice, a lot of us are happy to continue using ExtJS as both a framework and a component library - so it would be nice to know if there's any plans to improve this aspect of the framework itself?

Thanks in advance.

For this, I can only point to what we have public atm like Don's SenchaCon session titled "Ext JS and ES2015/6/7 - Modernizing the Ext JS Class System". This is like Ext JS 7 stuff.

Ross Gerbasi also showed some modern tooling in his SenchaCon session titled "The Modern Toolchain".

I can also say, since we are working on a React bridge (and an Angular one after the React bridge is officially released) we are working with node modules and webpack and Cmd. We will have announcements in the coming weeks with the React bridge launching that will be bringing lot of this to light, at the moment mid May is the release target.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234