Thread: Understanding what User Extensions are for

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Understanding what User Extensions are for

Am I on the right track:

Instead of just using the XDA 'components' to add to the toolbox one at a time,
    Is the reason I should use User extensions is because I can likely package
    up multiple components and sass and resources (and themes?) into one XUA file rather than
    have to load multiple items from separate XDA and resource JS or CSS files?

Otherwise making a user-extension with the Def files seems like a lot of detailed work.

Sencha - QA Team
    Vote Rating

Yes.

.aux
    In aux you can create complex extensions with custom JS code / CSS and everything in SA you will than see only the "small component" in toolbox with configs which you define in the aux but under this component large piece of code could be hidden.

.xdc
    Xdc are the component which are saved to the toolbox and then exported. These are just simple components which you can share between projects / users. With these components you are limited with SA interface as what you can define. For example it could be some form view. Form panel with bunch of elements inside etc

.xda
    Xda are the project archives. When you look at the templates these templates are in fact just .xda project archives. You can create some project and than share it as .xda, this could be used as template for other projects.

The docs you are looking for are:
    http://docs.sencha.com/architect/4.1...xtensions.html
    http://docs.sencha.com/architect/4.1...structure.html
    http://docs.sencha.com/architect/4.1...xtensions.html

I have seen some very complex and large aux components from some customers. So it's possible. Unfortunately I am not aware of any which would be publicly available.

I personally use the .xdc most to share code between the projects.

--------------------

There is one more thing. Non-official for advanced users. And that's project metadata files "hacking". If you look at your project generated by SA. The app folder is not important, everything can be re-generated from the metadata folder. If you look into the metadata folder of your project you will find the files for each classes and their definitions inside. I have seen that some users are copying these metadata files between the projects to quickly copy some classes code etc. However this is quite "experimental" and not guaranteed to work.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

In the end, the reason I wanted to use .aux User Extensions was because I thought I could bundle
    more than one component, but most especially, because I could bundle a custom css resource and
    a 3rd party JS library that provides a network api we require called autobahn.js.

I have battled the extremely limited documentation (the docs you list) to create user extensions
    and from what I can see, the CSS file I add to the JSON is accepted but not copied or loaded.
    Creating all the right definition and related JS files is very tricky and not obvious.
    I have spent days on this to no avail.
    I cannot see how to load a JS resources. There are very few decent samples on the net
    and the sencha marketplace is defunct.
    It seems to me we are going to have to manually add resources and multiple components.
    I am very disappointed with this User Extension stuff. Anyone considering using User Extensions, beware.

Sencha - QA Team
    Vote Rating

I guess the documentation can be quite problematic for newcomers to the ExtJS and Sencha Cmd

But everything you need is possible with the extensions / ext packages.

I have created example extension and quick guide for you https://github.com/petrvecera/SenchaArchitect-aux
    It's using custom CSS file and custom .js files.

Regards
    Petr