Thread: Chrome andGrids - Forced Reflow is likely a performance bottleneck (layout thrashing)

Sencha Premium User

Exclamation Chrome andGrids - Forced Reflow is likely a performance bottleneck (layout thrashing)

We are seeing horrific vertical and horizontal scroll performance in our grids when they have more than 100 items. Our 'buffered' grids have roughly 30 columns and consist of mainly strings and dates and may contain hundreds to thousands of rows.

When profiling both horizontal and vertical scolling in google chrome, chrome highlights some of ExtJs's core methods and reports "Forced Reflow is likely a performance bottleneck". I was able to override the Date.js files to fix date format performance however forced reflows are punishing us.

Chrome points to this method, flags it in red and even points to a link as problem causers and provides a link to this website:

in class Ext.dom.Element:
    getScroll: function() {
    ... some lines here....
    left = dom.scrollLeft; <-- causes chrome to "recalculate style"
    top = dom.scrollTop;
    ... some lines here....
    }

Has anyone solved this? I've tried the nightlies which introduced new bugs but did not see any noticeable performance improvement. I'm worried that this is not fixable due to how bloated the grid dom is.

Doing some quick tests we noticed it is MUCH faster in IE then Chrome. We need to continue testing this however....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sencha Premium User

I'd like to add that my peers also working on other ExtJS projects see the same exact issue within their projects as well.

Sencha Premium User

Default This fiddle shows the problem

The following fiddle creates a large grid.
    In IE 11 the scrolling left right is smooth but in Chrome it is slow.

Answers

To clarify, this fiddle is posted against Ext 4. Is this where you're seeing the issue? I'm not seeing the same problem in Chrome in 6.2.1.
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Former Sencha framework engineer, available for consulting.
    As of 2017-09-22 I am not employed by Sencha, all subsequent posts are my own and do not represent Sencha in any way.

Sencha Premium User

It does seem to be ok in the fiddle. But in both Roys application and mine we both are seeing the same thrashing. Both of these applications were developed independently. There must be some layout or property that triggers the problem.

Sencha Premium User alexander.urban's Avatar
    Answers

I have the same issue.

Is it possible to have a Sencha engineer look into our app and compile a list of possible performance improvements both on our side and in the framework?

Sencha Premium User alexander.urban's Avatar
    Answers

Also, can a Sencha engineer please look into the Forced Reflows occurring in the admin dashboard sample? (e.g. when expanding/collapsing the menu.)

http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.5...board/#profile

https://i.imgur.com/nsyZnLt.png

I know the milliseconds may seem negligible, but in a more complex app, it adds up.