Thread: MultiSelection Combobox

Sencha User

Default MultiSelection Combobox

Hi,

What is the recipe for implementing a multi-select combobox in the modern toolkit?

I see that the tag field type is not available in the modern toolkit (classic toolkit used it to implement multiple selection).

Thank you,
    Yuri

Answers

We don't have one at the moment. It's currently in the backlog for 7.0.0.

Sencha User

Mark,

It is hard to imagine that it is not part of the toolkit as of now. Multi-select combobox plays a prominent role in most applications and using something else alongside ExtReact rich components would be awkward. Any way to move it up in the priority list?

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team
    Answers

Just to point out, you can roll your own custom component (and 'reactify' it) or add this functionality via an override. One of the advantages of ExtJS is how extensible it is, allowing you to add or supplement functionality rather easily. This is probably not the answer you wanted, but I did want to offer you a path forward if you absolutely need the functionality.

https://github.com/sencha/extjs-reac...-js-components
    https://docs.sencha.com/extreact/6.5...el_-_overrides

You can also view source on something like TagField or ComboBox in the classic toolkit to get inspiration for what an implementation could look like in modern. But fair warning, the two toolkits are different and the implementation will not cross over exactly.
    https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.5.0/...field.Tag.html
    https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.5.0/...fg-multiSelect

Sencha User

Yes, you are right, this is not the answer I wanted.

The main goal of evaluating the ExtReact for my organization is to get away from developing our own components. We have a plenty of open source libraries that offer partial solutions and our developers spending uncounted hours wading through the source code, enhancing controls, struggling with CSS to match them with controls from other libraries. We are ready to make this shift and invest in ExtReact to standardize on the look and feel and enhance our productivity. And I think this is exactly your pitch about why ExtReact is valuable.

Another point is we are a React shop, so when we saw an announcement that ExtJS is now reactified we were very excited that we can just 'plug-n-play' your components. Using some ExtJS concepts like stores and models is not a problem but anything more than that defies the purpose.

We understand that this is the first release and there will be some gaps here and there. But we are doing a due diligence and compare our current needs with what you offer and noticed the absence of this particular control that we use extensively. That is why I was trying to gauge where you stand on this and if we can work with you to bring it up the priority list.

Thank you,
    Yuri

Answers

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the feedback.

We are currently evaluating this and a few other key components that didn't make the GA cut-off for 6.5 so your input is helpful for us to prioritize among the possibilities. Out of curiosity, if you had to make a "Top 5 Most Wanted" list, what would you put on that list (the first being the most important to your team, etc)?
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Sencha User

1. Modern DataGrid parity of features with the Classic DataGrid (all plugins like clipboard, filtering menus in columns, column order re-arrangement using drag-n-drop)
    2. Ability to render cells in the grid using 'live' React components (today you are using ReactDOM.renderToStaticString)
    3. Multi-select combobox support with an optional 'Search' field embedded and the ability to retrieve data using a remote call. Typing a search term in the Search field would filter retrieved items locally.
    4. RowExpander support for delayed rendering of React components on expand with an optional unmount on collapse.
    5. GraphQL-native store proxy where I can just specify a query and variables.

Thank you,
    Yuri

Answers

Thanks Yuri,

I'm pretty confident #2 will land in nightly/prerelease very soon. #5 sounds fun. I'm going to look into that next!

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by geniny View Post
    We have a plenty of open source libraries that offer partial solutions and our developers spending uncounted hours wading through the source code, enhancing controls, struggling with CSS to match them with controls from other libraries. We are ready to make this shift and invest in ExtReact to standardize on the look and feel and enhance our productivity.
    I like your thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by geniny View Post
    5. GraphQL-native store proxy where I can just specify a query and variables.
    I would love this functionality as well, currently working on a GraphQL implementation.