Thread: ExtJS or ExtReact for new application

Default ExtJS or ExtReact for new application

I have a philosophical question. if i want to create new JS enterprise application by Sencha EXT what framework can I use? What is better solving in terms of productivity, speed and lifecycle, etc (ExtJs or ExtReact)?
    We have one year of preparation for ExtJS. We are on the start and now we would like to confirm which solution to choose ( ExtJS or ExtReact). The price of license is not decisive.

Thanks Josef.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZVONDIC View Post
    I have a philosophical question. if i want to create new JS enterprise application by Sencha EXT what framework can I use? What is better solving in terms of productivity, speed and lifecycle, etc (ExtJs or ExtReact)?
    We have one year of preparation for ExtJS. We are on the start and now we would like to confirm which solution to choose ( ExtJS or ExtReact). The price of license is not decisive.

Thanks Josef.
    Do you have a lot of experience with React and the React development stack? Then use ExtReact; otherwise, use Ext JS.

At the moment React provides a more modern development environment IMO, but this will soon change when Ext JS 7 is released.

ExtReact entirely eliminates the need for the Ext JS MVC / MVVM pattern, but most likely you will also need a data layer (Redux or MobX) together with React.

Is there any roadmap of ExtJS 7?

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZVONDIC View Post
    Is there any roadmap of ExtJS 7?
    It's supposed to be released still this year, but major release are sometimes delayed.

Answers

Hi Josef,

Selecting the framework(s) to use in your application is perhaps the most critical, technical decision you will make and so it is important to weigh all the relevant factors.

From a purely technical point of view, using Ext JS from "top-to-bottom" has some important advantages. Absolutely 100% of the components, their config properties, events and methods were designed from the ground up to work together. ExtReact is incredibly good at mapping React constructs to Sencha's components and it will continue to evolve.

That said, we recognize these decisions are seldom made in a technical vacuum. Questions like "What frameworks do you and your team already know?"; "Does your project have the budget for the team to learn a new framework?"; "Is your company standardizing on a particular framework?" are all equally important and may outweigh some technical considerations.

So the simplified answer is that we recommend Ext JS to developers that already know Ext JS or for those new to both frameworks. Ext JS has all you need to build amazing applications for all devices as well as the tools you will need as you design, build and test your apps. If you are a React developer, however, ExtReact is a great way leverage your React knowledge and harness the power of Sencha's comprehensive set of components.
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Sencha Premium User jvandemerwe's Avatar
    Answers

Don't use Extreact because it has the word "React" in it. I am an experienced Ext JS developer and I must say that building applications the Ext JS (without React) way, with Sench CMD is much faster and above all (personal opinion), the code is so much cleaner and better organized. I really don't like the React syntax at all.

Maybe I will get used to it, but it is for me a totally new path to cross.

It is surprising that I haven't read anything yet about the footprint. Does Extreact generate smaller builds than Ext JS (native)? That would be an interesting question for me to be answerred.