Thread: Sencha Cmd v6.5.0.180 [ERR] Not a valid name/version ""

Sencha User

Default Sencha Cmd v6.5.0.180 [ERR] Not a valid name/version ""

After upgrading to Sencha Cmd 6.5 I now receive the following error [ERR] Not a valid name/version ""

sencha app build testing
    Sencha Cmd v6.5.0.180
    [INF] Processing Build Descriptor : default (testing environment)
    [ERR] Not a valid name/version ""

Has anyone else seen this. What might I be missing? I can not find anything else on this issue.

Thank you.

Sencha User

From which version of Cmd were you upgrading? Which version of Ext JS are you using? Is this a standard app structure or have you moved some folders around to suit your requirements?

Sencha User

I was upgrading Sencha Cmd from 6.2.2.36 to 6.5.0.180. We are using Ext JS 6.0.1.250. I believe it is a standard project setup and not any custom setup.

Would the Ext JS version need to be upgraded too?

Sencha User

No it shouldn't need to. That's an unusual error though. One thing you can try is generating a fresh new application and migrating your code into it.

Sencha Premium Member

I just had this exact same error, but with a different version of Sench Cmd (v6.1.2.15). Turned out the problem was a trailing comma somewhere in the app.json.

Sencha User

Normally that will trigger a Rhino parse warning, but it's certainly worth running your code through something like JSLint to eliminate that as a source of the problem.

Sencha Premium Member

I would expect a parse warning, but it doesn't for some reason... Out of curiosity I tested putting trailing commas in various places in the app.json file; in some cases it does just give a parse warning and then moves on, but if you put a trailing comma in the "requires" array this error occurs. In other places a null pointer exception occurs.

The pattern seems to be that if you put a trailing comma in an array in the app.json, it will assume there's another element to come, so if it's expecting a string it will interpret it as "" (hence the error saying "" is not a valid name), and if it's expecting an object it will interpret it as null.

Is this a peculiarity in the JSON standard that I'm not aware of, or is this a bug in Sencha Cmd's JSON parser? It's not a huge problem, but if it is a bug it would be nice if it was fixed to throw a more helpful error message or warning.

Sencha User

I found a bug report (SDKTOOLS-1432) for the trailing comma issue in app.json. The issue was at least partially fixed, but it seems trailing commas in some parts of the file don't report errors to Cmd, limiting what we can do. It seems that the 'requires' block is one of those.

Sencha Premium User

Default Trailing comma in app.json "requires": block

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Schlosberg View Post
    it seems trailing commas in some parts of the file don't report errors to Cmd, limiting what we can do. It seems that the 'requires' block is one of those.
    Yes, I had a trailing comma after the last package in the 'requires' block and Cmd 7.0.0 threw this error. Thank you for this comment -- saved me from starting over with a fresh app.