Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Significant Issues with SA 4.2

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Default Significant Issues with SA 4.2

I truly hate to be "that guy" who's always complaining, but I'd like to know if anyone else feels that the SA 4.2 upgrade is a huge step backwards for the IDE. I'm having virtually every problem described elsewhere in this forum and in the SA 4.2 Bugs forum. In addition, I'm having some problems I haven't yet seen described. For example, the code editing window is even flakier than it was before. The window is almost impossible to accurately scroll and seems to 'bounce' up and down of its own accord. Next, editing a property name (such as the name of a model field or anything else within the config panel that can be edited) often requires that I double-click on the field 5 or 6 times before it achieves focus. If I want to simply edit the property field rather than change it completely, it's hit or miss as to whether I can get the cursor I-beam to ever show up and it's usually just faster to double-click and replace the whole value. Next, and this one has been around quite a while, duplicating a field (right-click > Duplicate) within a model will almost always change the field value of the component to which the duplicated field was bound. For example, if I have field 'foo' as the valueField for a combobox, if I duplicate 'foo' and name the new field 'bar', the comboboxe's valueField will now be 'bar'. This seems like undesirable behavior to me. Finally, and this is a HUGE issue, the application will suddenly and mysteriously lock up. The user interface becomes unresponsive and I'm unable to save any work I've done since the last save. I am now having to save after almost every code edit or I'll lose work because the only way to fix the problem is to kill the application in task manager. It seems to happen when I'm working with large code blocks (cutting and pasting, for example). But I can't reliably reproduce the issue. In my experience, and your mileage may vary, SA 4.2 has introduced far more productivity killers than the benefits I'm getting from new features and bug fixes. I would not call it unusable, but it's pretty darn close. Anyone else???

Thank You,
    M. McConnell

Edit: I'm working primarily on an ExtJS 6.2 project with SA 4.2 on Windows 10 (64-bit) Creators.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mlmcconnell View Post
    The window is almost impossible to accurately scroll and seems to 'bounce' up and down of its own accord.
    I have this problem as well. Specially on large code section involving a verfical scrollbar. You can reliably scroll without experiencing some bouncing up and down

Next, editing a property name (such as the name of a model field or anything else within the config panel that can be edited) often requires that I double-click on the field 5 or 6 times before it achieves focus. If I want to simply edit the property field rather than change it completely, it's hit or miss as to whether I can get the cursor I-beam to ever show up and it's usually just faster to double-click and replace the whole value.
    I haven't seen that but I am not sure I understand where you click to edit the name. But it made me think that it would be great if we could rename fields by editing them directly in the tree window in the Project Inspector.

Next, and this one has been around quite a while, duplicating a field (right-click > Duplicate) within a model will almost always change the field value of the component to which the duplicated field was bound. For example, if I have field 'foo' as the valueField for a combobox, if I duplicate 'foo' and name the new field 'bar', the comboboxe's valueField will now be 'bar'. This seems like undesirable behavior to me.
    I agree with this, to me this is a bug. Duplicating something should not have the same effect as renaming it.

Finally, and this is a HUGE issue, the application will suddenly and mysteriously lock up. The user interface becomes unresponsive and I'm unable to save any work I've done since the last save. I am now having to save after almost every code edit or I'll lose work because the only way to fix the problem is to kill the application in task manager. It seems to happen when I'm working with large code blocks (cutting and pasting, for example). But I can't reliably reproduce the issue.
    I haven't experienced this yet, but will report here if I do,

In my experience, and your mileage may vary, SA 4.2 has introduced far more productivity killers than the benefits I'm getting from new features and bug fixes. I would not call it unusable, but it's pretty darn close. Anyone else???
    I agree that this upgrade is a little bit disapointing. It seems that a few of the reported issues are reported as fixed in 4.2.1 so hopefully we won't have to wait to long for some fixes.

Default Problems

I upgraded a classic project from 6.2 to 6.5 and so far I am seeing a few small issues with EXTJS. As for Architect I am seeing the text window jump around more but mostly when I use the scroll wheel on my mouse. The properties lock seems to not work all the time when switching between forms.

As for lockups and inability to click in a property field, I am not having those issues currently.

Workstation is windows 10 x64 latest version and service packs.

Erik

Sencha User
    Answers

Hello guys

Your complains are valid and we are trying to fix all of them. We will post more details to the specific points later but one thing which is common to these issue is that they are really hard to reproduce. So if you found steps to any problems reported please share them with us. Thank you

To the duplicate issue - it's a bug logged as DSGNR-6915

Normal duplication works like this:

original
    ---dup action---
    original
    duplicated (which has focus)

SA duplication works like this:

original
    ---dup action---
    duplicated
    original (which has focus)

So to avoid the problems you have to select the the previous field.

Thank you
    Petr

Answers

For the random freeze issue: could you also disable JSHint for some certain time and observe if it does not help, please?
    Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> JSHint

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by petr.felzmann View Post
    For the random freeze issue: could you also disable JSHint for some certain time and observe if it does not help, please?
    Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> JSHint
    Hi, petr. I have now been able to reproduce the freeze issue at will by moving a large code block around within a single ViewController function. I turned off JSHint and I was STILL able to create the SA freeze. For reference, here is the code block in 'as is' format.....I will follow this with the edited version that causes SA to freeze:

loadGrid: function() {
    var store = Ext.getStore('DirectAwardStore');
    var dstore = Ext.getStore('DirectDefendantStore');
    var event = this.lookupReference('eventid').getValue();
    dstore.load({
    params:{
    eventno: event
    },
    callback:function(records, operation, success){
    if(success !== true){
    var msg = "An error occured during retrieval of the <b><i>DirectDefendantStore</i></b> while loading the Event Direct Award grid panel! Please take a screenshot of this error and report it to the Automation Department.";
    msg = msg + "<br><br>The Server Response was: <i>" + operation.error.statusText + "</i>";
    var w = Ext.create('Ext.window.Toast', {
    html: msg,
    title: "Data Store Error!",
    align: 'br',
    width: 400,
    height: 200,
    closable: true,
    autoClose: false,
    cls: 'notification',
    iconCls: 'ux-notification-icon-error',
    closeToolText: 'Close Message Window'
    });
    w.show();
    }else{
    store.load({
    },
    if(success !== true){
    var msg = "An error occured during retrieval of the <b><i>DirectAwardStore</i></b> while loading the Event Direct Award grid panel! Please take a screenshot of this error and report it to the Automation Department.";
    msg = msg + "<br><br>The Server Response was: <i>" + operation.error.statusText + "</i>";
    });
    w.show();
    }
    }
    });
    }
    }
    });

},

An now the attempted cut/paste edit:

loadGrid: function() {
    var store = Ext.getStore('DirectAwardStore');
    var dstore = Ext.getStore('DirectDefendantStore');
    var event = this.lookupReference('eventid').getValue();
    dstore.load({
    },
    if(success !== true){
    var msg = "An error occured during retrieval of the <b><i>DirectDefendantStore</i></b> while loading the Event Direct Award grid panel! Please take a screenshot of this error and report it to the Automation Department.";
    });
    w.show();
    }else{

}
    store.load({
    },
    if(success !== true){
    var msg = "An error occured during retrieval of the <b><i>DirectAwardStore</i></b> while loading the Event Direct Award grid panel! Please take a screenshot of this error and report it to the Automation Department.";
    });
    w.show();
    }
    }
    });

}
    });

},

As you can see, I simply moved the second condition of the IF statement outside of the IF/ELSE block. This is 'legal' JS syntax, yet as soon as I cut/paste, SA freezes. Please note that I was not modifying my code to make this an actual change, but rather as an attempt (successful) to get the IDE to fail. I hope this is helpful.

M. McConnell

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Just a quick update. SA froze on me again, but this time I wasn't doing anything. I had to step away from my computer for about 2 hours but I'd left SA running in the background. When I returned, the application was unresponsive and I had to kill it in Task Manager again. Getting closer to that dreaded "unusable" tag, at least for me.

M. McConnell

Ext JS Premium Member
    Answers

Remember to kill the java process too after kill the app from the GUI

ps -ef| grep java
    and then kill the one is looking like this: /usr/bin/java -jar /Users/xxxxxx/bin/Sencha/Architect/Cmd/6.5.0.180/sencha.jar service start --port 0 --timeout -1

Sencha User
    Answers

Hi, petr. I have now been able to reproduce the freeze issue at will by moving a large code block around within a single ViewController function. I turned off JSHint and I was STILL able to create the SA freeze. For reference, here is the code block in 'as is' format.....I will follow this with the edited version that causes SA to freeze:

As you can see, I simply moved the second condition of the IF statement outside of the IF/ELSE block. This is 'legal' JS syntax, yet as soon as I cut/paste, SA freezes. Please note that I was not modifying my code to make this an actual change, but rather as an attempt (successful) to get the IDE to fail. I hope this is helpful.

M. McConnell
    Thank you very much for the steps. Unfortunately these operation doesn't cause any problems at my computer with SA 4.2.0 GA

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

This may turn out to be an unrelated question, but when I open an SA project, it kicks off a java process that consumes nearly 1 GB of memory. Does that sound right? I also notice 4 separate instances of SenchaArchitect running in Task Manager, one of which is consuming around 800 MB of memory. Is this expected? Seems really excessive to me for a single open project.

M. McConnell

Here is a screenshot of Task Manager arranged in order of highest memory consumers:

2017-06-14_10-19-50.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast