Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [solved] DateField Change Event

Default [solved] DateField Change Event

I am trying to get a DateField to emit an event when a date is actually selected, and not after the field loses focus:

Code:
    var picker = new Ext.form.DateField({
            fieldLabel: 'Pick a date',
            value: new Date()
        });
    picker.on('change', MyCallbackFunction);
    This code only calls my function just before blur(as the documentation states for the change event). I have also tried the 'focus' event, with little success, as it only gets called when the field is focused by the user, and not after a date is selected.

Basically I don't want to require the user to click outside of the field in order for their selected date to update the panels.

I'm sure this is not a new problem, I couldn't find any solutions quickly. Any ideas?

The API docs for dateField (and its parent class TriggerField) do not list an event for such behavior, so either it is not supported or is not documented. I do also think that this would be a usefull event to have for all triggerField based fields, probably in the form of a 'select' event like what comboBox has.
    Other than this appeal to the devs to add this as a feature, I cannot give any help other than suggesting to code it in yourself though

Thanks for your input, I will resort to coding it myself if there are no solutions readily available. I agree a select event would be very nice to have.

Curiosity got the better of me so I looked to see if there was a quick hack that will work until a more permanant solution is found:
    Code:
    {
      xtype:'datefield',
      listeners: {
        render: function(){
          this.menuListeners.select = function(m, d){
            this.setValue(d);
            console.log('date selected')
          }
        }
      }
    }
    enjoy

Wow, thanks for your help, it works great, the only issue is if I have 2 datefields, it doesn't work for the second one. This is probably because I don't totally understand what that code does, so please excuse my newness to Ext.

Is that a listener on the datefield type?

Thanks for your help again.

yes, that is a lazyRender config for a single dateField instance. this is not a global override or anything like that, you would need to set it for each dateField you have.

Quote Originally Posted by kekoav View Post
    Wow, thanks for your help, it works great, the only issue is if I have 2 datefields, it doesn't work for the second one.

Actually it does work for all fields-- my bad. I noticed I only need to add that listener section to one datefield, and it applies to all the others. I guess I should learn a little more how the listeners work... it seems they work differently than the on('event') type of handlers?

Anyhow thanks very much for your help it works great now! I just added the following to my config for the datefield:

Code:
    listeners: {
         render: function(){
              this.menuListeners.select = function(m, d){
                    this.setValue(d);
                    MyCallbackFunction()
               }
          }
     }

Normally adding a listener this way is the same as adding it with addListener (for which 'on' is a shortcut). Perhaps the fact that we are replacing fairly low level function is causing it to act differently.

Sencha User

aaaa....
    thank you very much!!
    im looking for this event listener for weeks...

Sencha User

solved..thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast