Thread: TextField, TextArea, Datefield cursor position on focus

Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha Premium User

Default TextField, TextArea, Datefield cursor position on focus

Our users have noticed a change in behavior which I believe happened on our upgrade from ExtJS 6.0.1 to 6.2.

We have a form panel with multiple fields, including textfields, datefields, and textareas. When any of those fields initially gain focus via a mouse-click, the cursor immediately goes to the end of the text. The expected behavior is for the cursor in that field to appear where the user clicked.

As it is, the user must click the field a second time to place their cursor correctly.

I compared the ExtJS Kitchen Sink examples of 6.0 and 6.2, and there has been a change in behavior.

If this is not a bug, it is definitely a change in expected behavior. Is there a workaround?

Yes, me too. I do not think it is a bug but can not find any solution for this

Sencha Premium User

I discovered that it appears to be a specific problem for ExtJS 6.2. Our solution was to upgrade to ExtJS 6.5, and the problem was solved. If you look at the ExtJS Examples pages, and open one of them with form fields, look at ExtJS 6.0, then 6.2, then 6.5. The behavior of 6.0 was as expected, then 6.2 would place your cursor at the end of (any) field when gaining focus, then version 6.5 was back to the expected behavior.

I never did find a way to restore the expected behavior in 6.2 form fields. My recommendation is to upgrade to 6.5. Hope that helps.

Sencha Staff

Hi,

This was not a bug but a progressive enhancement. Here is a workaround for the version 6.2

Example Fiddle:
    https://fiddle.sencha.com/#view/editor&fiddle/2fmh