Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Sencha Premium Member Fredric Berling's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Default Sencha sold to IDERA

What do we know about this company?
    How will this affect us consultants? Anyone have any insight on what plans IDERA has for the product line?

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Fredric Berling View Post
    What do we know about this company?
    How will this affect us consultants? Anyone have any insight on what plans IDERA has for the product line?
    Do these guys know anything about JavaScript? Why a company focused on database tools would be interested in a JavaScript framework?

Vote Rating

Embarcadero = Delphi
    Crazy expensive, pretty slow to add features and their support and docs are horrible.
    I have migrated one Delphi project to Xojo as a consultant. The customer needed the cross-compile that is pretty good in Delph.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by tangix View Post
    I have migrated one Delphi project to Xojo as a consultant. The customer needed the cross-compile that is pretty good in Delph.
    Never even heard of Xojo, looks decent enough and uses a BASIC dialect (feeling nostalgic now, lol). If I had the strength I could list at least a dozen cross-platform IDEs, maybe even double that number. I wonder how they can all survive; is the market really that big that they can all make a decent living?

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    Never even heard of Xojo, looks decent enough and uses a BASIC dialect (feeling nostalgic now, lol). If I had the strength I could list at least a dozen cross-platform IDEs, maybe even double that number. I wonder how they can all survive; is the market really that big that they can all make a decent living?
    Like Javascript frameworks there are probably billions out there. My client needed the ability to cross-compile and create native applications for Mac and PC and for this they used Delphi. But with new developers coming on board and Delphi licenses for a database connected application and Delphi licenses at €5000/each (I see they now are discounting them at €3939.97) they moved.

Just curious - what other cross-compiling languages for native Mac/PC/Linux languages do you know? (I am not counting atom-based javascript applications)

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Like Javascript frameworks there are probably billions out there. My client needed the ability to cross-compile and create native applications for Mac and PC and for this they used Delphi. But with new developers coming on board and Delphi licenses for a database connected application and Delphi licenses at €5000/each (I see they now are discounting them at €3939.97) they moved.
    I can see why they moved, that price is extortionate!

Just curious - what other cross-compiling languages for native Mac/PC/Linux languages do you know? (I am not counting atom-based javascript applications)
    I guess the answer would be only Sencha, if you count it among the cross-compiling languages for those platforms. My brother used to use the Corona SDK but it was bought out and the prices skyrocketed, so he ditched it. The only other big one I've heard of is Xamarin, and I guess Cordova.

It's a good thing you mention atom-based javascript applications because that's where I'm going to focus my personal development from now on. I see no point learning all these proprietary/expensive solutions when Electron exists, which allows me to stay in my comfort zone and not have to empty my wallet :-)

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    I can see why they moved, that price is extortionate!
    Quoting from the Sencha mail yesterday:
    Embarcadero tools are built for elite developers who build and maintain the world’s most critical applications.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Just heard the news of IDERA Acquires Sencha.
    We are a small company and doing development using ExtJS.
    It was a tough time for us to learn the complete process and this took us more than a year to understand the complete ecosystem and bring expertise for the same.

Can anybody from Sencha comment on whether the Sencha product would be continued using the same ecosystem (as a separate product) or would there be a change like merging it with some other product?
    Also what would be Pricing structure as this will impact us a lot

Thanks
    Pranav C Lunavat

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

We have been using Delphi since 1996 ... but never got past Delphi version 7. In 2011 started developing in Sencha Touch & bit the bullet & spent the $$ to move to ExtJS for web application development to replace our old Delphi on-premise applications.
    I hope all of this stands us in good stead moving forward!

+1 to @plunavat
    It would be good to know what the big plans are. The last thing we need right now is to be going up more learning curves having put our money on the ExtJS framework.

Thanks
    Fairport

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by fairport View Post
    We have been using Delphi since 1996 ... but never got past Delphi version 7. In 2011 started developing in Sencha Touch & bit the bullet & spent the $$ to move to ExtJS for web application development to replace our old Delphi on-premise applications.
    I hope all of this stands us in good stead moving forward!

+1 to @plunavat
    It would be good to know what the big plans are. The last thing we need right now is to be going up more learning curves having put our money on the ExtJS framework.

Thanks
    Fairport

There is an Ext JS based third party tool for Delphi named uniGUI.
    http://www.unigui.com/

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast