Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Acquisitions usually result in big layoffs. Key technical people with unique qualifications might be offered retention incentives so they don't leave.
    Patience is required. Wait for the dust to settle, such acquisitions don't have such immediate effects.
    Management means doing the things right,
    Leadership means doing the right things.
    www.interpid.eu

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by apopov View Post
    Thank you for all of your comments. We’re thrilled with the announcement.

For now, Sencha will be run as a separate entity, and customers and partners will continue to do business as usual. I can assure you we have no immediate plans to make changes to product lines or positioning. We’re excited to be servicing the JS community and will continue to invest in the portfolio of products. I look forward to engaging with the Sencha community in the coming weeks and months as we work through these transition details.
    This statement makes it sound like those plans are in the future though.

Will Sencha always remain a separate product or will it be merged with some other product?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by apopov View Post
    I can assure you we have no immediate plans to make changes to product lines or positioning.
    ^^ this is as scary as any imagined scenario, Sencha is on its last legs and desperately needs a course correction. The framework itself and tooling is better than ever but it is harder than it has ever been to sell enterprises on committing to Sencha because Sencha has extinguished its developer ecosystem with the half-assed commitment to open source and 5-developer minimum licensing.
    Chief Architect @ Jarv.us Innovations
    Co-captain @ Code for Philly

Jarvus builds and optimizes top-quality Sencha Touch and ExtJS apps for open-source projects and clients of all sizes.

Don't waste time with bugs that have already been found and fixed by the community, compile our tried and tested hotfixes packages into all your projects: https://github.com/JarvusInnovations/sencha-hotfixes

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by themightychris View Post
    ^^ this is as scary as any imagined scenario, Sencha is on its last legs and desperately needs a course correction. The framework itself and tooling is better than ever but it is harder than it has ever been to sell enterprises on committing to Sencha because Sencha has extinguished its developer ecosystem with the half-assed commitment to open source and 5-developer minimum licensing.
    I was shocked myself by the "We have no immediate plans to make changes to product lines or positioning" statement.

I don't think Atanas understands very well that an immediate action is urgently required.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Mmmm...

Same road as Borland (company) and Delphi (product):

Small company, excellent product, bad management...
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    Anyone else noticing some updates on some Sencha employees' LinkedIn and several new recommendations? Is there going to be a big employee exodus? The talent leaving or getting pushed out? Need to research Idera more.
    Yes. For what I see on twitter the whole (dev) team is out and development will be outsourced. Some quotes of employees/former employees:

'Sencha was sold and is rumored to being gutted.'

'Looks like the #JavaScript market will be flooded with top talent very soon due to the death of a tech company.'

'I think writing a resume is the hardest thing I do.'

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I would like to understand why Sencha had to be sold... Why a company like devexpress seems to be successful/stable and Sencha is not? Is it because they employ "cheap" developers to begin with? Different management styles?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

It was obvious that it will end bad with the version 4 release, then this retarded move with the 5-pack license, this probably make the numbers good but it was just milking cash on its past great success, on-going projects and the still wide community. ExtJS shouldn't have bought sencha on a first place, and this whole idea of mobile stuff took their focus away. Version 5 and 6 were and are still great in my opinion and I thought that management will somehow reconsider those bad decisions that sent people away. That guy Art or whatever was his name that they hire to play ceo, if I own a company I can hire him only as a janitor or something similar, but even for this I would have to keep an eye on him not mess things up, this guy was the single most devastating thing that happened to extjs.

This product had no competition on the marked since it was version 2 and jack was its core developer, they kick him away for I dont know what reason, anyway so many years later its still years ahead of anything else on the market but its popularity was driven down to zero.

Out of the blue some delphi oriented company bought it This whole thing makes no sense to me, I hope that those guys didn't recently switch to delphi from pascal as a preparation for a 30 year time travel jump in technology evolution. I doubt they can make any use of sencha in their product lines whatever those products are, this is a sophisticated javascript suit, I doubt that their indian workforce would be able to integrate it without making the rest of the world cry when reading their code, dont want to offend anyone in India but I have long history of working with them and the percentage of people understanding whats going on is on average 2-3%. Even if they have some US or EU devs, lets be real its a delphi company those guys are in their fifties at best, they think javascript is something like java but with some extra libraries built in I cant imagine delphi developer grasping on webpack, npm, sass, polyfill, ponyfill, es6, es7, nodejs, babel, jsx etc.

Anyway after all who knows what is going to happen... I will wait and see, I still hope that good things will happen even when it does not looks like. Г-н Popov it will be good time to change something with sencha now if you want this product to remain in existence, if you delay it intentionally or unintentionally you will end up as the only user of it

/P

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

A few words from Arthur Kay.

source: https://www.akawebdesign.com/2017/08...rewell-sencha/

Core Values

Although Sencha’s recent CEO spent years touting core values such as Take care of your people, I am angry to hear that the company’s acquisition will result in nearly all of my friends losing their jobs as the new owners outsource work abroad.

I understand how corporate acquisitions work — this is strictly a business decision — and I know the reality of a company struggling to remain profitable. I also know Sencha’s leadership was shopping for a buyer for some time; the Silicon Valley VC’s backing Sencha certainly wanted (and deserved) to make a profit before an inevitable decline.

But firing all of your people, these amazing people (some of whom had worked there for 5, 6, 7 years) who had poured blood, sweat and tears into the company and the community is… just really ty. That’s not “taking care of your people”.

I’m clearly one of those people who buys into the idea of core values — I write about business from time to time, and two years ago I wrote about my own core values:

[Core] values are the foundation from which all other things emerge. In other words, a leader will not compromise their core values just to attain a goal.
    Will I ever be in a position to make a decision such as this? Maybe… I certainly hope I have the strength of character to stay true to my core values.

Despite my personal feelings, I won’t speak ill of the leadership who made the decision — I certainly don’t know all of the facts — but I will remember these events and use them as a learning experience as my own career continues to grow.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by MRMV View Post
    Yes. For what I see on twitter the whole (dev) team is out and development will be outsourced. Some quotes of employees/former employees:

'Sencha was sold and is rumored to being gutted.'

'Looks like the #JavaScript market will be flooded with top talent very soon due to the death of a tech company.'

'I think writing a resume is the hardest thing I do.'
    Pffff.. These are just rumors, and tweet quotes from bitter former employees of Sencha..
    Nothing valuable here.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast