Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by bogc View Post
    I would like to understand why Sencha had to be sold... Why a company like devexpress seems to be successful/stable and Sencha is not? Is it because they employ "cheap" developers to begin with? Different management styles?
    Why do you think Sencha had to be sold ?
    You really think only unsuccessfull companies are sold ??

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by arnaud.benhamdine View Post
    Pffff.. These are just rumors, and tweet quotes from bitter former employees of Sencha..
    Nothing valuable here.
    How do you know they are bitter or all the quotes are former employees? Seems you are assuming things.

Why do you think Sencha had to be sold ?
    You really think only unsuccessfull companies are sold ??
    There is a difference between being bought and being sold. The former is good, a company sees and loves what you are doing so they buy you; the ladder means you are trying to get out from under something like debt of a failing business. It's no mystery Sencha has been crumbling for a while so being sold is likely what happened.

Vote Rating

Default uniGUI

An addon for embarcadero RAD studio called uniGUI was recently released and is based on EXTJS.

Not sure how well it works but could be the reason sencha was purchased.

http://unigui.com/

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    It's no mystery Sencha has been crumbling for a while so being sold is likely what happened.
    The mystery is that the product has been steadily improving while Sencha has been crumbling.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    How do you know they are bitter or all the quotes are former employees? Seems you are assuming things.
    Yes, sorry for that. But I was upset by all this ranting about the technology I use everyday and like.

We use ExtJS since 2 years, and since 2 years, I see perpetual complains in the community about the price, the licence, the model, Sencha is crumbling, etc...

Before using ExtJS, we have benchmarked it against the main frameworks in the javascript ecosystem.
    The conclusion was unambiguous for us : ExtJS was the winner and the others were not even close.

We benchmark it steadily, and there's still no equivalent alternative to it (again, it's our opinion, YMMV).

Last week, I did mount some boilerplates to test some react component libraries (components, not even frameworks !) including ant-design, semantic-ui, elemental, material-ui.
    They are often quoted as "cool kids" versus the terrible old crumbling ExtJS framework.
    I was shocked to see the poorness of these libraries.
    You think you can find the equivalent of grid feature in react world ? I can tell you you will be disappointed.
    These librairies are just at a early stage of their lifecycle : they looks promising, but are still very immature and plenty of terrible bugs.
    Just read github issues in the repos of these "frameworks" and you will see the extent of damages...

The most github starred react components set, MaterialUI (https://github.com/callemall/material-ui) is still beta, and don't even have a real grid component included.
    Recently, they just have to rewrite every component to allow to apply custom styles to the components, and it's still in progress.

And again, after all these tests, the conclusion was : the Sencha product (ExtReact) was the best.

Otherwise, concerning the bad situation of Sencha ("sencha is dead, etc..."), I have seen no figures, facts, whatsoever to support this claim.
    So, has anyone some real facts to support this ? (it's a real question, I'm curious to know).
    "It's not a mystery that Sencha ...." obviously is not a argument.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    Out of the blue some delphi oriented company bought it This whole thing makes no sense to me, I hope that those guys didn't recently switch to delphi from pascal as a preparation for a 30 year time travel jump in technology evolution. I doubt they can make any use of sencha in their product lines whatever those products are, this is a sophisticated javascript suit,
    This goal has already been achieved by a third party tool.
    Here are the Ext JS 4 examples: Desktop and Touch.

I doubt that their indian workforce would be able to integrate it without making the rest of the world cry when reading their code, dont want to offend anyone in India but I have long history of working with them and the percentage of people understanding
    As far as I know Embarcadero doesn't work with Indian out-sourcers.

whats going on is on average 2-3%. Even if they have some US or EU devs, lets be real its a delphi company those guys are in their fifties at best, they think javascript is something like java but with some extra libraries built in I cant imagine delphi developer grasping on webpack, npm, sass, polyfill, ponyfill, es6, es7, nodejs, babel, jsx etc.

Anyway after all who knows what is going to happen... I will wait and see, I still hope that good things will happen even when it does not looks like. Г-н Popov it will be good time to change something with sencha now if you want this product to remain in existence, if you delay it intentionally or unintentionally you will end up as the only user of it

/P
    OK, you can be right that many Delphi developers are at their 40+. Most of them are alien to web technologies that is correct too.
    Most probably their plan will be to provide a backend solution for Ext JS. Delphi is already very good at providing this and also their product RAD Server can be used for this purpose, so developers can buy a high-end JS framework empowered with a complete back-end server solution. Don't forget that they are also a database tools company.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by apopov View Post
    Thank you for all of your comments. We’re thrilled with the announcement.

For now, Sencha will be run as a separate entity, and customers and partners will continue to do business as usual. I can assure you we have no immediate plans to make changes to product lines or positioning. We’re excited to be servicing the JS community and will continue to invest in the portfolio of products. I look forward to engaging with the Sencha community in the coming weeks and months as we work through these transition details.
    So why did you buy sencha ?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by apopov View Post
    For now, Sencha will be run as a separate entity, and customers and partners will continue to do business as usual.
    After reading Arthur Kay's blog post, this seems like a blatant lie. Quote from his post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kay
    I am angry to hear that the company’s acquisition will result in nearly all of my friends losing their jobs as the new owners outsource work abroad.
    A Fond Farewell to Sencha

Atanas Popov, do you have anything to say about that?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I am angry to hear that the company’s acquisition will result in nearly all of my friends losing their jobs as the new owners outsource work abroad
    Again, no facts... Just rumors : "I hear"..

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Again, no facts... Just rumors : "I hear"..
    Sure, "rumors" however I'm sure an ex employee that has friends in Sencha has heard more than you or I have. We haven't heard anything from current Sencha employees likely for a number of reasons. If they are all looking for jobs, they probably don't want to slander Sencha and make it look like they are desperate to find work. Would be horrible negotiating a salary with potential employers that way. Plus, if some are staying on with Sencha, don't want to burn bridges or make life hell for them. Could it just be rumors? Sure. I'd give it at least a 75% chance of being true tho.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast