Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

It would be amazingly reckless and foolish to lay off "nearly all" developers. The product is just too large and complex for a new group of people (no matter how talented) to take over the project and deliver support and new features in a reasonable time frame.

Atanas needs to ensure that top technical people don't leave the company. So, instead of laying off people, he should be thinking about retention bonuses to ensure that the current team stays at least through the Ext JS 7 release or possibly even longer.

Secondly, Sencha's prices are eye-watering high. He needs to cut prices by at least 25% and remove the uncompetitive 5-pack requirement.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    After reading Arthur Kay's blog post, this seems like a blatant lie. Quote from his post:

A Fond Farewell to Sencha

Atanas Popov, do you have anything to say about that?

"While a purchase of Sencha doesn’t necessarily mean that Ext JS and the other Sencha products are “dead”, the company as we all have known it for years certainly is." - Arthur Kay

I don't mean to be callous but I'm not that concerned about Sencha the company. The employees who loose their jobs will spread a lot of butthurt around because some of them are young and idealistic I suspect, but they will find new jobs. It sucks to be the one who takes the hit, but people get laid off all the time. It's happened to me and I survived. What I care about is Sencha the product line and what it's real future is.

I would have hoped that Atanas Popov would have said more about the future of the Sencha product line than some boilerplate "executive-speech" that sounds like it was copied from a press release, and sort of makes it sound like they have no idea why they even purchased Sencha. There are people out there who have a lot of money and time invested in Sencha's product line and IDERA's management needs to get up off their duffs and be more forthright about what the future looks like to put and end to the rumor and speculation.

I don't completely buy into the "ExtJS is dead" hysteria. Years ago I started working with ColdFusion 3.5. In 2001, ColdFusion was sold by Allaire corp to Macromedia and people pulled their hair out like old Sicilian women at a funeral and declared it's imminent death. In 2005 Adobe purchased Macromedia and people again freaked out and declared ColdFusion's death. Flash forward to 2017 and ColdFusion 13 will be out next year even tough people still annually declare its imminent death. Is ColdFusion a widely used product? Quite Frankly No, and it never has been. It has always been a niche application server, but that's not the point. The point is it survived because these companies respected the developers and customers. IDERA needs to do the same.

Also please don't turn this thread into a "why in god's name are you using ColdFusion when you could be using product x debate". Don't care and don't want to hear it. It's not the only language I use.

Vote Rating

It appears that Mitch (https://www.sencha.com/forum/member.php?22216-mitchellsimoens) will be leaving

mitch.PNG
    All Best
    ---
    Željko Mitrović
    http://skitanja.blogspot.com/

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." Martin Golding

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Will Evan Trimboli be leaving as well? If both of them leave, there will be zero knowledgeable developers communicating with ExtJS 6 community.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Version 6.6 is scheduled for mid October.
    It's a great opportunity to see if the acquisition has led to misunderstandings.

For what I can see now nobody even writes on the forum.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by wki01 View Post
    Version 6.6 is scheduled for mid October.
    It's a great opportunity to see if the acquisition has led to misunderstandings.

For what I can see now nobody even writes on the forum.
    6.6 and 7 were on track before acquisition we will not see any important change, it will come after

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by chaya-56 View Post
    6.6 and 7 were on track before acquisition we will not see any important change, it will come after
    What you say is valid for version 7 that is expected too far forward.

What apopov said is that nothing will change for the coming months.
    I expect that version 6.6 will run out at the end of October.
    Unless developers have already gone.

Let's just wait and see.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

It's also funny to see how the example app ("Coworkee") they advertise on their front page completely broke just after the acquisition. Did someone break it intentionally or is it a side effect of some recent server move?

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by danguba View Post
    It appears that Mitch (https://www.sencha.com/forum/member.php?22216-mitchellsimoens) will be leaving

The blog is still up and running, so perhaps this was a false alarm. If I were Mitch, I'd not shut it down even though he paid for it with his own money.

A clever lawyer could provide evidence that this blog contains (at least in part) an intellectual property which belongs to Sencha.

Why to pick a fight if you don't have to? Other developers would be more than happy to take over the blog since it contains a wealth of information.

Ext JS Premium Member sumit.madan's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    The blog is still up and running, so perhaps this was a false alarm. If I were Mitch, I'd not shut it down even though he paid for it with his own money.

A clever lawyer could provide evidence that this blog contains (at least in part) an intellectual property which belongs to Sencha.

Why to pick a fight if you don't have to? Other developers would be more than happy to take over the blog since it contains a wealth of information.
    Since its products are not closed source and its pretty clear that Mitch is blogging about and attributing Sencha framworks, I don't see why intellectual property lawyers would have a problem with it ? If IDERA starts suing former employees who blog and promote their framework, then it will all the more reason to abandon it.

However, just to add, they have done a good job keeping Delphi and C++ builder updated and adding new features, and hired experts to keep developing them. It just strikes me as a very odd for them to be interested in a Javascript framework. Hopefully, it would not end up as another enterprise product in their catalog.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast