Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

If Mitch added content to this blog (even in part) on company time, then he cannot do whatever he wants to do with it even if this is his private blog. No to mention that a lot content in this blog was generated by Sencha developers in the form of many questions asked and added to the blog.

In any case, the idea of shutting down a blog which might be helpful to others seems uncool IMO.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I realize GPL projects cannot be forked because copyright remains with original.

However, I heard that fork which independently rewrite code can still be legal. So I wonder, to what extent does GPL copyright prevent fork of ExtJS ? If it does not include API, then perhaps fork can be possibly where rewrite is a refactor to modern JS standards, eg, use ES Classes, native getters/setters instead of model.get('field') which is the one thing I really dislike. Its a lot of work, but can be automated to a good extent. Or in further future (i understand this is monumental amount of work), replace templates with web-component syntax, (if for no other reason than be different enough and sencha does not seem to go in this direction).

Can anything be learned from oracle vs google lawsuit about API copyright about whether this is feasible.

Besides legal issues, equally big concern is not getting community together to participate on any single effort. There are already a couple attempts floating around github, which looks really bad: gives a sense of one man effort with no one else caring.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

With the exception of ExtReact, Sencha products are NOT competitively priced.

None of the Ext JS competitors that I’m aware of require to purchase a 5-developer pack.

I just checked Webix, Kendo, Highcharts, DHTMLX, and they all offer a single developer license.

There are some pretty good competitors that are free as well.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    With the exception of ExtReact, Sencha products are NOT competitively priced.

None of the Ext JS competitors that I’m aware of require to purchase a 5-developer pack.

I just checked Webix, Kendo, Highcharts, DHTMLX, and they all offer a single developer license.

There are some pretty good competitors that are free as well.
    Same goes for DevExtreme and SmartClient.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    Same goes for DevExtreme and SmartClient.
    I am yet to find a widget toolkit with good data binding besides ExtJS. Or am I not seeing something? I have been shopping around for a while, but those toolkits do not seem to have concept of bindable View Model with formulas or a concept of a Model and Store with widgets being fully aware out of the box how to interact with the store. Most demos I am seeing seem to push data in manually as a basic array: no model definition, no record selection.

Take for example https://js.devexpress.com/Demos/Widg.../jQuery/Light/
    Will the tree view automatically update its visual list if I make any changes to array coming in at items config key?

Or is that a case similar to how many spots in Sencha docs have hard coded data? I am really liking how DevExtreme looks. Its themer is both free and independent tool on their website, so I can just have my designer go at it without even needing to go through trouble of giving him my repository. I am really uncertain how much extra work I will have to do if I will need to manually re-implement store bindings. Will I be able to take, say, a form which points to a store, and do simple selectRecord() for the form fields to automatically reflect model at that index in the store?

Its controller concept does not look as nice as controller binding in ExtJS either.
    ZF tutorials and forum on alex-tech-adventures.com

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Given that you can buy single licenses of RAD Studio and single license of products from IDERA then I would hope that this 5-pack bundling nightmare will be over soon.

Mitchell leaves? Something is REALLY WRONG here :S

Maybe it's time to revive the "ExtJS is dying" thread? :P

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by alfonso.nishikawa View Post
    Mitchell leaves? Something is REALY WRONG here :S

Following looks a bit ironic now...

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dougbieber View Post
    Is EXTJS dying?
    Nope

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by alfonso.nishikawa View Post
    Mitchell leaves? Something is REALLY WRONG here :S

I think you can relax. This brouhaha about mass layoffs at Sencha erupted as a result of a blog post by a former Sencha employee who wrote "... nearly all of my friends losing their jobs as the new owners outsource work abroad".

This statement was not confirmed, and frankly it doesn't make much sense. Sencha's products are too complex for any other group of people to come up to speed in a reasonable amount of time. There would be no financial benefit to IDERA if all developers who have an intimate knowledge of the product were replaced in a short time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    I think you can relax. This brouhaha about mass layoffs at Sencha erupted as a result of a blog post by a former Sencha employee who wrote "... nearly all of my friends losing their jobs as the new owners outsource work abroad".

This statement was not confirmed, and frankly it doesn't make much sense. Sencha's products are too complex for any other group of people to come up to speed in a reasonable amount of time. There would be no financial benefit to IDERA if all developers who have an intimate knowledge of the product were replaced in a short time frame.
    Thanks for the information

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast