Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Ext JS Premium Member sumit.madan's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn_carwardine View Post
    I tried to purchase a single licence under "the Independent Consultant Program" but they refused because I have some other ties with my client. I qualified under all the eligibility criteria that they published but they arbitrarily decided not to honour the advertised program. Even though both I and the my client are pretty micro with a lot less than revenue of $1m. It feels like any excuse to refuse frankly. Consequently when I told my client's commercial director that I (ultimately he) would have to fund 5 licences he went through the roof and has told me to stop work on our Extjs proof of concept. Next week they will meet and decide if that is a permanent stop. I suspect it might be - they don't like being mugged and they certainly don't want to start a new relationship with a vendor by being mugged. I can't disagree with them really.
    Interestingly if you read the Glassdoor reviews, you would find that the sencha developers agree with you, most of them are lamenting how their CEO isolated the community with their licensing. Most of their core developers are without jobs now, so it remains to be seen how long they will continue to charge ahead with their licensing. Looking at IDERA's enterprise portfolio, they might introduce single developer licenses, but each might cost $2K

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn_carwardine View Post
    I tried to purchase a single licence under "the Independent Consultant Program" but they refused because I have some other ties with my client.
    This is terrifying. I am a student working part time on different contracts, plus in canada exchange rate is unstable, markup is average at 20-25% on everything I buy in US currency. I am trying to save up for license and waiting on reply at https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthr...-in-controller for 2 weeks now to check that with $1100+ purchase I will at least save time by not having to waste limited hours I have flipping back/forward between IDE and web documentation. I picked ExtJS because I had some experience with it in past, its complete API allows me to relatively quickly satisfy client's needs, especially having a server-side background, not that good at frontend.

When I try to apply, if I get arbitrarily denied like this I am in horrible trouble. I cannot afford almost $7000 license of local currency making $30/hour , 20 hours a week, and my client will not wait another several months until I learn another random framework and rewrite half a year worth of work because I messed up believing the independent developer license news. I will lose credibility in job market before I even start.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by alex-tech View Post
    I am trying to save up for license and waiting on reply at https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthr...-in-controller for 2 weeks now to check that with $1100+ purchase I will at least save time by not having to waste limited hours I have flipping back/forward between IDE and web documentation.
    JetBrains WebStorm and PhpStorm have built-in (limited) support for ExtJS. No need for any super slow Sencha plugin.
    Also, you can use something like Spket IDE.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    JetBrains WebStorm and PhpStorm have built-in (limited) support for ExtJS. No need for any super slow Sencha plugin.
    Also, you can use something like Spket IDE.
    If I am to spend that money on license, and product is said to come with a plugin I would really like that plugin to actually work. Why should I be content with spending that money just to have legal license, but turn blind eye on productivity benefits advertised not work?

The built-in support has no understanding of context. In my editor I expect full contextual awarness. When I am referencing a view component, it should tell me what is precisely available in that api component, when I am in controller, I should see precisely the API of that controller and awareness of anything custom I add to it. Currently, there is no confidence that aut-completion is relevant to that exact object reference or not. Otherwise it is false advertisement.
    ZF tutorials and forum on alex-tech-adventures.com

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by alex-tech View Post
    The built-in support has no understanding of context. In my editor I expect full contextual awarness.
    PhpStorm/Webstorm does have contextual understanding and if your class inherits "Ext.app.ViewController", typing "this." inside the class will give only relevant auto-completion results. Also, because of all the annotations in Ext classes, for example, "viewController.getView()." will also give you auto-completion relevant to "Ext.Component" class. It can also go to definition if you select "xtype" and do many other useful stuff.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789