Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    $249 per month per developer is even worse than Sencha's Premium 5-pack: 12 * $248 * 5 = $14,940. Not having to buy quantities of five is a good thing, but still, one developer license costs $2,976 per year.
    with the future of sencha hanging in balance, there not much choice if this is second the best

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    $249 per month per developer is even worse than Sencha's Premium 5-pack: 12 * $248 * 5 = $14,940. Not having to buy quantities of five is a good thing, but still, one developer license costs $2,976 per year.
    Where'd you find this information? It's not on the website.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougbieber View Post
    Where'd you find this information? It's not on the website.
    Right under the trial form in smaller, grayed out text:

Starts at $249 /mo after 30-day trial | By signing up you agree to the Platform Services Agreement and Privacy Policy
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch
    Modus Create, Senior Fullstack Engineer

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Ext JS Premium Member

In my opinion this entry doesn't address the concerns of many posts.

I would address the concerns of high licensing fees for individual developers. Also, what is happening with groups like MindTree, which has an excellent learning path for Ext JS? Did these guys, very terrific guys, get forgotten in the shuffle?

If you don't have people who can teach this very involved and complicated UI, you're going to have a lot of problems. Quality and support would suffer as a result.

Since our company heavily uses this product, it's a very serious concern.

Please address the concerns of those who have taken the time to mention them. Don't just blow them off. These are the people who will be talking about you in development events like Dev Intersection, Dog Food conferences and other major developer events. If they aren't respectfully engaged and communicated to, they'll be communicating for sure anyway. And what they might have to say may not be good news.

Just my opinion, if it matters.

Thanks,

Mike

Ext JS Premium Member

Since our company heavily uses this product, it's a very serious concern.
    Us too. We have a big investment in this product but have the talent to change over time. It's not our preference though.

Sencha User

Quote Originally Posted by dougbieber View Post
    Us too. We have a big investment in this product but have the talent to change over time. It's not our preference though.
    People (at my company) are speculating that they plan to EOL ExtJS... why would they do that? They are still marketing (and I assume selling) Delphi. Looks like they have even done some work on it over the years. Delphi has got to be close to 30 years old.

ExtJS is somewhat mature. My guess is they will milk it for what revenue they can. They cut costs by laying off the engineering team. Now they will support it with bare-bones support group and collect what revenue they can. I can't imagine many new dev teams would select ExtJS now due to the negative noise surrounding the company/tool but it is still a solid choice as it exists today.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by mcg1103 View Post
    They cut costs by laying off the engineering team. Now they will support it with bare-bones support group and collect what revenue they can.
    Ext JS is too big to fail

Any developer who worked on an Ext JS project knows that this is a very complex software. It definitely has a learning curve.

When you fire the entire development staff, how long do you think it will take for another group of developers to come up to speed?

I'm assuming that IDERA will find qualified people who have experience developing a complex JavaScript framework.

This, of course, is a massive assumption for which so far there's no supporting evidence.

Ext JS Premium Member

Les J -- In a word ... Classic. Could not have said it better myself.

Sencha Premium User

If they decide to charge that much per developer per month for using ExtJs, then it is like pouring petrol to save the fire.

Can anyone at Modus Create suggest/advice any other framework? Personally, I can't see any framework can provide as comprehensive and extensive widgets as ExtJs. I work for a very niche & extreme techie company which requires building very complex GUI and this is where ExtJs shines at.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by mcg1103 View Post
    People (at my company) are speculating that they plan to EOL ExtJS... why would they do that? They are still marketing (and I assume selling) Delphi. Looks like they have even done some work on it over the years. Delphi has got to be close to 30 years old.

ExtJS is somewhat mature. My guess is they will milk it for what revenue they can. They cut costs by laying off the engineering team. Now they will support it with bare-bones support group and collect what revenue they can. I can't imagine many new dev teams would select ExtJS now due to the negative noise surrounding the company/tool but it is still a solid choice as it exists today.

Delphi development is now fully outsourced

Interesting comments, and we all can draw the parallels with Ext JS.

"What this means for Delphi?

First, the loss of many key developers who knew the product very well from the ground up. ...

This just looks another step in the agony of Delphi. It may not be declared dead already, but it looks more and more a zombie kept alive using some dark arts of the development business."

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast