Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Ext JS Premium Member sumit.madan's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Delphi development is now fully outsourced

Interesting comments, and we all can draw the parallels with Ext JS.

"What this means for Delphi?

First, the loss of many key developers who knew the product very well from the ground up. ...

This just looks another step in the agony of Delphi. It may not be declared dead already, but it looks more and more a zombie kept alive using some dark arts of the development business."
    FWIW, Marco Cantu http://blog.marcocantu.com/ is incharge of the RAD Studio Delphi development. Grew up reading his books when I wanted to learn Pascal. RAD Studio Delphi has consistently released new versions with tons of features over the last few years after Embarcadero acquired it from Borland.
    The licensing is still prohibitively expensive, and I have no idea what is going to happen to ExtJS. But Delphi is probably one of their better managed acquisitions.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed altayib View Post
    the best alternative for extjs is DevExtreme from devexpresshttps://js.devexpress.com/ they have free edition for non commercial and reasonable price for Complete edition https://js.devexpress.com/Buy/. and work in progress for React Supporting https://devexpress.github.io/devextr...ve/react/grid/.
    thanks.
    ahmed
    Yep, I have been using it since Jan of this year with AngularJS and now transitioning to Angular 4+.
    Not as polish neither as complete as ExtJS but ygood enough.
    Seems that ExtJS's zealots didn't liked your post :p
    UI: Sencha Architect / ExtJS 4 - 6
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: WildFly / Weblogic
    Databases: Oracle
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by sumit.madan View Post
    The licensing is still prohibitively expensive, and I have no idea what is going to happen to ExtJS. But Delphi is probably one of their better managed acquisitions.
    As I stated sometime ago, I used to be a Delphi developer in late 90s then 2000s.

Also I stated sometime ago that ExtJS was following Delphi's route: Superb product but owning company bad managed.

Software companies should require their managers to read the book "In search of stupidity" by Merrill Chapman.
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Just received an email today - the single developer licence is back....

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn_carwardine View Post
    Just received an email today - the single developer licence is back....
    Too late.

I haven't had any contract with ExtJS in the whole year even if I tried to convince customers but the idiotic 5 license issue was hard to support.
    FWIW I'm aware of the "end user" license (or "run" or "maintenance" - don't recall the exact name) but when was announced my customers already switched not only to other frameworks but they left me. I betted on the wrong horse...

I also didn't renewed my Sencha Pro.

Bye bye ExtJS...
    / MySQL / DB2 / Firebird

Sencha Premium User jvandemerwe's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by kaya View Post
    why not https://github.com/OfficeDev/office-ui-fabric-react? and there is no dependency jQuery

I think that people that are suggesting this have never build something big enough to reconsider their suggestion.

We have customers relying on large Ext JS build applications. Rebuilding those applications with just another framework would cost the customer a lot of money. And why? Just because we've told them that we made a bad choice in selecting Sencha Ext JS as a platform? They would shoot me on the spot. I don't think that IDERA bought Sencha Ext JS because they hated it. Give them some time, but not too much. Until, I don't experience any bugs that overheat our support line.
    Professional Sencha development since 2007.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jvandemerwe View Post
    Give them some time, but not too much. Until, I don't experience any bugs that overheat our support line.
    This is what I thought. Give the new Sencha team at least two quarters to see if they can deliver. After seeing the new bug reports, it's clear that they are not hiring qualified people. Support is not very good, either.

IDERA made an investment and they want to make money. I don't blame them for this, but their products will continue to lose popularity until they bring experienced developers.
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

—Oscar Wilde

Sencha Premium User jvandemerwe's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    IDERA made an investment and they want to make money. I don't blame them for this, but their products will continue to lose popularity until they bring experienced developers.
    @LesJ, You make it sound that currently only nitwits are working at Sencha products and that everybody who knew about development left the house or was fired. I know that "fake news" is hot today, but it doesn't make any sense if you don't state your accusations with facts. Yeah, maybe you spoke one former developer of Sencha who left (frustrated?) the company and is willing to hang the dirty laundry out to dry, but until real facts are supporting your statements, I don't think that at Sencha all their experts have left. I am already fed up with all that fake news that is around us, don't stir it up in here as well please.
    Professional Sencha development since 2007.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

@LesJ, You make it sound that currently only nitwits are working at Sencha products and that everybody who knew about development left the house or was fired. I know that "fake news" is hot today, but it doesn't make any sense if you don't state your accusations with facts. Yeah, maybe you spoke one former developer of Sencha who left (frustrated?) the company and is willing to hang the dirty laundry out to dry, but until real facts are supporting your statements, I don't think that at Sencha all their experts have left. I am already fed up with all that fake news that is around us, don't stir it up in here as well please.
    Oh, come-on... He posted the links to most developer twitter accounts where they said they were leaving. Mitchell Simoens, Nige White, Evan Trimboli, Michael Schwartz, Seth Lemmons all left. Idera even fired Don Griffin. Also, long time support people like Gary Schlosberg were let go as well. Appearantly, they decided community MVPs can do the support for free.

If you think anything good will come from next major release, you might be a bit disappointed...

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Yeah, maybe you spoke one former developer of Sencha who left (frustrated?) the company and is willing to hang the dirty laundry out to dry, but until real facts are supporting your statements, I don't think that at Sencha all their experts have left.
    There's no fake news. I got into many arguments and even pointless name calling with former Sencha employees because I wanted Ext JS to succeed. The turning point for me was seeing the bad support in the forum and the nightly bug reports. I wish Sencha good luck, but they need to bring experienced developers to the project.
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

—Oscar Wilde

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast