Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sencha sold to IDERA

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

FWIW, Idera belongs to TA Associates, a big private equity firm, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TA_Associates

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by arnaud.benhamdine View Post
    FWIW, Idera belongs to TA Associates, a big private equity firm, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TA_Associates
    That's pretty bad news.... $$$$ is all these firms are after.

It was clear that Sencha will be sold, 3 years ago when they started their weird license policy changes and they got $$$ oriented.
    Anyway, we can't predict what will happen, let's wait. We can't do much anyway as users.
    Management means doing the things right,
    Leadership means doing the right things.
    www.interpid.eu

Vote Rating

Thank you for all of your comments. We’re thrilled with the announcement.

For now, Sencha will be run as a separate entity, and customers and partners will continue to do business as usual. I can assure you we have no immediate plans to make changes to product lines or positioning. We’re excited to be servicing the JS community and will continue to invest in the portfolio of products. I look forward to engaging with the Sencha community in the coming weeks and months as we work through these transition details.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

We already use sencha Extjs/Touch with delphi for years and we already have apps in production that works perfect for several years, we use Delphi + unigui you can see here some screen of apps built using delphi and sencha.http://forums.unigui.com/index.php?/...gns/?hl=screen

You got a powerful back-end for both http server and database, you can deploy your webapp as standalone service or isapi dll that you may use along with apache/iis in windows and soon linux also.

Even if your client wan to put the webapp int intranet environment you may give him .exe/.dll he never knows the source code as for php/.net/c#, your code already compiled to binary code which give you a good performance and give you security solution of several issues like sql injection.

you could develop a complex app within a short of time compared to another environment.

Sencha Premium Member cmendez21's Avatar
    Vote Rating

Checking back in history Sencha is going the same way as Crystal reports has gone. It was a good and superb product also affordable but they were sold so they forgot small & medium developers which was the key of their success, they began to pursue the big $$$$$ so medium and small developers were forgotten and developers move on to other new things/products that made also the job and cheaper.

The last time Sencha made the announcement of the huge investment they told: "Nothing was going to change" and what happened..! The license schema changed and huge prices appeared so developers began to move to Angular, React and some other libraries. In my opinion that was of the keys in the success for React.

So if IDERA plans/intends to hear the community they should consider small & medium developers and perhaps make some prices affordable cause that was a key for EXTJS (1x to 4x) success, otherwise it will became another crystal reports which means Huge prices and somehow Extjs developers will became less and less.

And the fact is that clients doesn't know Sencha and they don't care as long as the projects and work is done and give the expected result, the ones that suggest Sencha products are DEVELOPERS which is the strength of a success in a product. So Crystal reports when went into this transition cause too much piracy, also that other companies began solutions with other tools way similar to crystal reports and suddenly the position of crystal reports is that is only used for big companies that can afford their licenses.

Anyway if this happens with Sencha someone sooner or later is going to fork Extjs (any version) also any tool or make something similar but a reasonable price and everybody will began to move away. And not only crystal reports but other products as well have gone to the same path.

SO its a SCARY situation for those who have invested too much money and time with Sencha (we dont know the future) but i think I'm not the only one who have seen this same situation/behavior with other good products in the past. The fact that Sencha has good products and may be the best in the market, yes it could be true. But still, right now without not knowing the future on what IDERA is going to come up with is a scaring situation for all the community.

That IDERA's other divisions have good products i don't doubt it and that they can create new solutions combining sencha with their other products i beleive it can be a good thing for the sencha community and for end users , but please consider everybody and not only the big companie$$$$.
    E2CS: Extjs - Event calendar solution | XtPrinter
    Calendar Thread | XtPrinter Thread| Blog

Vote Rating

One hopes that IDERA saw the potential of JavaScript growth, which I believe will eclipse everything else, and wants in to this game. For IDERA buying the best framework is step one.
    To succeed with it needs to maintain or increase the number of developers and companies that have adopted EXTJS.
    One way is to lower the licensing costs (I assume they will not depend on that revenue to survive) and possibly spur the growth again of the open source community around EXTJS with a community license.
    They should not underestimate the power of "word-of-mouth"; many libraries and frameworks have grown because lots of people talk about them, I never heard of IDERA's products before, although I did hear about Embargadero in the ancient past.
    Even Microsoft started releasing products for free, to spur adaption.

If IDERA bought Sencha/EXTJS for other reasons, they are missing the opportunity, and they will go away like many others in the past.
    But I want to believe that they have good intentions, the post from Mr. Popov is encouraging.
    varsos

Ext JS Premium Member sumit.madan's Avatar
    Vote Rating

This is the venture firm behind the buyout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TA_Associates

It seems they have a history of turning their acquisitions into enterprise products. If you were concerned about the development costs for ExtJS, then their licensing fees are probably going to make existing Sencha prices look like a bargain !

I searched for a while and could not find any products targeted towards individual developers or small development teams. Most of their products, licensing starts from $2000+ per user.

It doesn't surprise me. ExtJS was never about the Javascript community, and has been steadily targeting the enterprise customers for years, so this acquisition looks like another step in the same direction.

If I have to guess now, the chances for them targeting individual developers are slimmer than ever, you won't get it in the future unless you can fork out big bucks in licensing fees.

I hope I'm wrong though, but their entire portfolio of enterprise products doesn't give me much confidence.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Anyone else noticing some updates on some Sencha employees' LinkedIn and several new recommendations? Is there going to be a big employee exodus? The talent leaving or getting pushed out? Need to research Idera more.

Sencha Premium User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by iamright View Post
    Anyone else noticing some updates on some Sencha employees' LinkedIn and several new recommendations? Is there going to be a big employee exodus? The talent leaving or getting pushed out? Need to research Idera more.
    Acquisitions usually result in big layoffs. Key technical people with unique qualifications might be offered retention incentives so they don't leave.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Yes. The point I was getting at is if all the devs (not just extjs team but ExtReact, Test, support, professional services) vacate, you can't just pick things up. I'm sure not all will leave but from the activity on LinkedIn is any indication, looks like a lot of them are preparing and Sencha isn't that large of a company. extjs itself is an immensely complicated thing, you can't just replace the thought leaders that have spent every day for years actually creating extjs. Writing apps is no where near the same as writing the framework. Honestly, I've stood up for extjs here on the forums like thru the 5 pack debacle, in my eyes extjs is dead or at least will never be at the same speed of fixing bugs or implementing new features as it is right now and I simply cannot wait around for whole new teams around the entire company to get up to speed.

Let's look at an example. One difference that Sencha has even been upfront about is modern doesn't have accessibility and if that's important to you that you should stick with classic but almost all development seems to be going into modern. I have no confidence that accessibility will every be a top priority and if it is that it will get implemented correctly and quickly.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast